+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Crackle on balance centre knob... Help???

I'm Jon.

Default Crackle on balance centre knob... Help???

Apologies, but I am unrepentantly looking for some thoughts from the wise hifi viziers on this forum...

My Pioneer SA-5000 has distortion and crackle only on the centrepoint of its balance knob. Obviously where I usually plonk it!?

Is this a biggy? I love my hifi, vinyl, and music but as they say up here in the North “I divn’t naah owt...” about the technical goings on inside the machinery.. 😮

Any ideas/thoughts gratefully received.

JP 👍

I'm Geoff.

It's probably a bit of dirt on the track inside the control potentiometer. If it was me, I'd buy a decent quality switch cleaner aerosol and give it a squirt from inside the case, then work the control back and forth a few times. That may sort it.

I'm Jon.

Simple as ��... Will get down to my local supplier of such wonderful squirty things and give that a go. Dirty knobs, don’t you hate them ��

I'm Ken.

Definitely try the contact cleaner before considering anything more drastic.
    I recently sorted the controls on a mates Rotel amp from the late 70's.
    I thought the crackly Volume control might be knackered, but a few squirts of said cleaner had it working smooth and silent.
    Had the can a while, got it from Maplins, but that door just closed.
    Probably get some off the web.

I'm Alan.

Deoxit D5 is the best cleaner Lube ive used, its not cheap but works very well and is a long lasting fix

http://store.caig.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.188/.f

Alan
    Turntable - Garrard 401/Jelco 750L/Ortofon Kontrapunkt B, Pioneer PLC 590, Micro Sieki MA505 , Denon DL103R - DIY Paradise Phono stage - Reel 2 Reel Studer A810, Otari MX55,Tascam BR20, Revox A77, B77, PR99, TEAC X1000 & 3440, Digital HTPC / Young Dac - Preamp - DIY B4, 821, Power Amp's DIY Avondale NCC300 Mono Block, Speakers Wilmslow Kit Volt BM220.8 / Scanspeak D2905/9500

I'm Jon.

Thanks one and all for the thoughts on this will defo hint out some of that squirty saviour juice...

+ Reply to Thread