+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Spendor S3/5R2 not really a review

I'm Shaun.

Thanks everso for your comments you lot. I do love the Spendor's but I need time to acclimatise really. I also need some good quality speaker cables to get the best out of them. So far we have not listened to any vinyl but that will come, however, given the change in the B&W's, I can't wait for the Spendor's to settle down a bit. Yes, I would have preferred Harbeth's but you know, do the best you can with what you have. Harbeth's of course would have been a load more money.

Regarding the new cottage, yes, rural Lincolnshire is bloody wonderful and so dark at night that sleep is just so easy but the place is really small and having been kind of spoiled by a big detached place, adapting will take some time.

Again you guys, thanks for your comments.

I'm Robert.

Speaker cable as you know can be a mine field.

Have heard good things about Chord Epic Twin. A mate / work collegue upgraded to them and is most impressed, says they are excellent.

They are not what I'd call cheap at all but he only has a couple of metre runs each side so wasnt bothered.
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm Dave.

My go-to choice is Talk-3. At £4/mtr, I haven't found anything better - to my ears.

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    My go-to choice is Talk-3. At £4/mtr, I haven't found anything better - to my ears.
    Sounds like a bargain ! What HIFI rated it highly too https://www.whathifi.com/talk-electronics/talk-3/review

You'll have a lot of change over too compared to the £50 per metre asking price for Epic Twin
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm Dave.

How/why they do it for the price is beyond me but glad they do. You can find very similar cables selling for 10 x the price.

I'm Shaun.

Regarding loudspeaker cables we eventually settle for Tellurium Q Blue which have improved things no end. Regarding the Spendors though, I have reservations.

Yes, a great match with valve amplification and yes, the level of detail displayed so obviously is bloody wonderful but there may be a problem. Listening to Ezio 'Black boots on Latin feet' the sound is absolutely amazing but when the mid gets a little enthusiastic and complex the sound from the Spendors gets a little compressed and confused. It is not something I have heard before from any speakers I have every owned but it is apparent with these. I am currently thinking that our previous B&W's were a World better than these but simply not suitable for the current room.

Listening to Shawn Mullins 'Soul's Core' the reproduction is fantastic but there is this problem with the central midrange getting slightly muddled and compressed. I am certainly thinking that an equivalent pair of B&W's may have been a much better option although not such an easy amplifier load.

I'm Shaun.

Well, well, I have just swapped filters on the M-DAC from transientXD to slow roll off and the problem is no longer present. One thing though, these speakers are incredibly directional. Tiniest movement and the image shifts all over the place but I am still gobsmacked by the levels of detail. Peter Mallick Group 'New York City', the accordian in this track is now so obvious whereas previously it has been almost hidden. Wonderful stuff.

I'm Justin.

Hi Shaun, I’m following this thread with interest as I myself am looking at the little S3/5r2 or even the A5r. I mostly listen to electronic stuff like the Ozric’s etc and lots of acoustic so was initially wary of buying blind. I was afraid a lack of bass would be a problem for electronica... how are you finding them in that respect?

Thanks
    Justin

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Mac View Post
    Hi Shaun, I’m following this thread with interest as I myself am looking at the little S3/5r2 or even the A5r. I mostly listen to electronic stuff like the Ozric’s etc and lots of acoustic so was initially wary of buying blind. I was afraid a lack of bass would be a problem for electronica... how are you finding them in that respect?

Thanks
    Justin
    Justin, I can only give my own personal view on things but having had a 22 foot room with B&W CM8 S2's, there is a definite lack of very low bass with the Spendors. In fact, there is a total absence of any really low rumbly stuff. Against this though is the huge increase in low level detail and recorded ambience or I guess 'reverb'. The sound with the S3/5R2's is way more organic and natural leaving the B&W's sounding cold and sterile in comparison. However, the B&W's clearly won the race in low bass. I have listened to a few early Ozric albums and the sound is seriously good but the more recent over manufactured albums are very clearly shown up for what they are. Regarding stereo imaging, it is bloody stunning with huge separation.

Pink Floyd, WYWH, disappointing..? No way. Amazing surround sound from just two speakers. Huge stereo.

Bass guitar..? Really good presentation. It is there and complete. Electronic bass..? Hmm... not really. However, filter sweeps are really crisp and attacking and very true to the sound of whatever filter is being played.

Acoustic Alchemy..? Oh wow. Bloody marvellous stuff. Really good ambient sound with huge stereo. So easy to distinguish between nylon and steel as you would expect with some really nice digital synth touches.

Really liking them now I have swapped around the M-DAC filter, way better than before. Absolute bargain at just under seven hundred quid although not run in yet. Let's not mention vinyl, jury still out.

I'm Justin.

Thanks for your comprehensive reply Shaun.

I was almost completely sold on the them at this point....”sound with the S3/5R2's is way more organic and natural”, that’s the qualities I’m looking for in my next speaker. Although I don’t want thumping bass, I want to hear those synthetic bass lines and rumbling from low down... maybe I need to experiment with the bungs and positioning of my speakers before laying out for a new pair.

Thanks again for your insight
    Yamaha NP-S303 / Audiolab 6000cdt
    NAD D1050 dac
    Creek Destiny 2
    PMC DB1 Gold / KEF LS50

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast