+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spendor S3/5R2 not really a review

I'm Shaun.

Default Spendor S3/5R2 not really a review

OK so Sue and I had to give up our fabulous rented detached place and move in to a tiny cottage in a rural Lincolnshire village. The owners of the big place wanted it back and so you know, we got the boot. Along with many things, my B&W CM8 S2's had to go because the new room is 14 feet by 11 and the hi-fi now has to fire across the room not down it. Remembering my time back in 1995 with a pair of Rogers LS3/5a's I decided I would get S3/5R2's by Spendor which should be a good match with a valve pre/power setup. The only place to have them was Harrow Audio so I went online and ordered them in cherry wood finish and paid through Paypal. Within the hour I got a call letting me know they only had black finish so I instructed them to cancel the order and I would have a rethink. A few days later they called again saying that they had located a pair in cherry wood finish at Spendor so I paid again and all was well. They arrived, we moved and a week later I got to listen to them. Sue and I were slightly bemused when we took off the grilles to find a slightly dark line around the outside of the front baffle which matched the cabinet but not the lighter front baffle. To us, this indicates a factory recon pair but they were sold to us as brand new.

Anyway, last night, Organika by the Peaking Goddess Collective on CD. Yes, no real low frequencies when compared to a room 22 feet long and floorstanders but Jesus, the detail in the midband..! On one track there appeared a nice little bit of guitar trickery. Sue says "Where the fuck did that come from..?" Clearly we have never heard it before. There is just so much information being brought forward but then there is a generally forward presentation anyway compared to the B&W's. The other thing of note is the precision of the stereo image. Bloody amazing.

All of our listening so far was done in ultralinear mode using eight Ohm taps.

I'm Shane.

I've had older Spendor S3/5R.

When they break in you should get a warm tone and slightly laid back presentation. Without losing detail.

S.

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by southall-1998 View Post
    I've had older Spendor S3/5R.

When they break in you should get a warm tone and slightly laid back presentation. Without losing detail.

S.
    Shane really looking forward to that. The previous B&W's changed so much after a few months the difference was amazing. Have you any preference for speaker cable to go with the Spendors in a valve based system..?

I'm Shane.

Sorry, I can't help you with the cable bit. All I will say is, Suck It and See.

S

I'm Robert.

Congrats Shaun,

Spendors are renowned for being special in the mids - it's a key aspect of their dna from what I've read and heard over the years.

The are also said to be non fatiguing which is another positive in my book.

Some may translate that to polite or unexciting, regardless they do have a repututation for producing some great speakers.
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm Neil.

Default Spendor S3/5R2 not really a review

Spendor S3/5s have some of the best treble I’ve ever heard in a speaker. Exceptionally nuanced with a super detailed, but not at all etched, top end. Tiny speakers!
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Mike.

My lounge is 14 by 16/18 (lounge and kitchen combined). I found the S3/5R failed to fill it, I was a bit underwhelmed by their overall sound, but I didn't give them much of a trial. I found it pointless trying them any further as it was clear my floorstanders were much more suited to my lounge. I would like to try them in my bedroom, just to hear them as they're meant to be, which is in a smallish room, but that would involve buying a second system or drilling holes in my floorboards (rented property, but they'll never know), to drop down speaker cables. Do you have them on stands? I was thinking wall brackets.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Ian.

First of all, sorry to hear about things on the domestic front but rural Lincolnshire does sound agreeable !

I'm a bit of fan of the small speaker (my room is 12 x 12 feet) and have always wanted to try the Spendor 3/5 in any form. I've currently settled on Harbeth P3ESR for some time now though still get very tempted when I see used Spendors pop up for sale. Just bought and plugged in a pair of JR149s (another 3/5a derivative ?) which really are lovely.

Anyway, your post has enthused me yet again to try these speakers, thanks for that :-). I do think small speakers in a suitably sizes room can do wonderful things.

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    Sue says "Where the fuck did that come from..?"
    She's a keeper, mate !
    Linn Sondek LP12, Ittok, AT-F7
    Schiit Mani MK1 Phono Pre-Amp
    Nobsound NS-08P Bluetooth pre-amp
    Marantz CD5004 CD Player
    Pure DAB tuner
    2 x Meridian 205 monoblock power amps
    Tannoy T225 "Mayfair" speakers
    www.paulridgeblog.com

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by rigger67 View Post
    She's a keeper, mate !
    Oh yes and she loves going out on the Harley as well in the summer.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast