+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Reflections: Isolation, coupling, decoupling: speakers > flooring, components > racks

I'm Bruce.

Default Reflections: Isolation, coupling, decoupling: speakers > flooring, components > racks

Through experimentation, it seems that all spikes/cones couple components and speakers in a way that highlights some HF, especially lower treble, giving the sense of details that were not noticed before. This may be because it shifts the resonant frequencies upwards.

Use of absorption materials tends to soften the sound and move things towards rounded sounds. This may be because most shape vibration control methods shift the resonant frequencies downwards, but still within the range of most music reproduction. If it shifts the frequency down in the range of 2-5Hz, which is well below that, then the effect counts properly as isolation.

So a mix of spikes/cones and absorption materials often can have a balancing effect on one another, but is a juggling act. Ideally if one could get all components down to the 2-5Hz range, one might assume that the system is well isolated and will get a more natural sound. It doesn’t, though, address airborne vibration (from speakers, etc.) of vibration originating from within the component.

In one case I had spikes beneath speakers and vertical absorption beneath the DAC, when I switched those, the sound profile remained roughly similar. When I removed the items beneath just one component, the HF details were more focused if only vertical coupling remained, and the sound softened and rounded if only the vertical absorption remained.
    Last edited by brucew268; 17-03-2018 at 20:57. Reason: Greatly simplified and shortened
    Bruce

Theories are not so much answers as questions, to be supported or undermined by experience & testing.

Source: Audiolab 6000CDT > Calyx 24/192 DAC
    Amplification: Pass-design B1rev2 pre-amplifier > Neurochrome Modulus 686.
    Loudspeakers: Proac Response 1SC
    Cables/stands: spkr: MIT MH-750 biwire; IC: HT Truthlink; Target stands, sand-filled; Excel Cat6A 23AWG UFTP & 1attack.de Cat.7 SFTP.
    Other: Balanced AC transformer to hydra mains distr; Bass traps & Acoustic panels; Isolation: Inner tube & roller bearings; 3xZyxel ES104A switches in series w/Vreg upgrades.

I'm Bruce.

Simplified and shortened the above.
    Bruce

Theories are not so much answers as questions, to be supported or undermined by experience & testing.

Source: Audiolab 6000CDT > Calyx 24/192 DAC
    Amplification: Pass-design B1rev2 pre-amplifier > Neurochrome Modulus 686.
    Loudspeakers: Proac Response 1SC
    Cables/stands: spkr: MIT MH-750 biwire; IC: HT Truthlink; Target stands, sand-filled; Excel Cat6A 23AWG UFTP & 1attack.de Cat.7 SFTP.
    Other: Balanced AC transformer to hydra mains distr; Bass traps & Acoustic panels; Isolation: Inner tube & roller bearings; 3xZyxel ES104A switches in series w/Vreg upgrades.

+ Reply to Thread