+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sme 3009 tonearm too much mass for Thorens td150?

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I fitted a Decca International arm to my first TD150. It was the original version with the long stem housing the opposing magnets and needed around 100mm clear space below the arm board. I built a tall plinth housing or surround that the original plinth could drop into, providing clearance for the arm cable. Problem solved.
    I was assuming the OP was using a Thorens 150 with an unmodified shallow plinth. It was because people wanted to fit SME arms to their Thorens 150 or ERA TTs with shallow plinths that SME came up with the option to have a horizontally mounted socket at the base of the arm. Such arms were designated as "SME 3009/S2 HE".
    Barry

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I was assuming the OP was using a Thorens 150 with an unmodified shallow plinth.
    I was merely saying what I had done. Not suggesting that it would be necessary in other situations, but I guess it could be helpful.

I'm Patrick.

I was merely saying what I had done. Not suggesting that it would be necessary in other situations, but I guess it could be helpful.
    Yeah the plinth was too shallow for the tonearm so it needed modified, the suspension is now what it should be. It was bought from ebay almost three years ago and I knew the suspension wasnt right straight away.The lesson is not to impulse buy from ebay unless you really know your stuff.That said its now sorted so should be good for few years. The tonearm could do with a rewire but it's not too urgent. It just threw me when it was said it had too much mass, when really the plinth was just too shallow. The plinth is not the orginal, its a replinth by the ebay seller. Looks good but wasnt intended for the sme tonearm really.

I'm Geoff.

You could consider tallish feet on the bottom to give the arm cable a bit more leeway.

I'm Patrick.

You could consider tallish feet on the bottom to give the arm cable a bit more leeway.
    Yeah that's exactly what has been done, seems to have done the trick.

I'm Graham.

The TD150/160 and the SME 3009 are perfectly suited, provided the arm is installed correctly and a suitable cartridge is used. They were standard kit in all of the studios that I worked in as well as in the QC department.
    GrahamS - It's not what you hear that counts, it's what you think you hear........

Present Kit: NAD 326BEE, NAD C515BEE CD player, JVC QL-7 DD turntable, JVC Tonearm, Shure M97Ve, Audio Technica AT95EX, Pickering V15, JVC Z1E, Wharfedale Diamond 230s, Visual Rio interconnects and My Ears.

I'm Artur.

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamS View Post
    The TD150/160 and the SME 3009 are perfectly suited, provided the arm is installed correctly and a suitable cartridge is used. They were standard kit in all of the studios that I worked in as well as in the QC department.
    What cartridge will be suitable?

I'm Patrick.

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamS View Post
    That's what I like to hear! Was kind of studios did you work in? I've got it paired with a shure m55e and its sounding good.

I'm Geoff.

The M55E is a pretty decent match to the SME, assuming of course that it's on an original stylus or one of original compliance.

I'm Patrick.

The M55E is a pretty decent match to the SME, assuming of course that it's on an original stylus or one of original compliance.
    It's got a new jico stylus and it's working a treat.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast