+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sme 3009 tonearm too much mass for Thorens td150?

I'm Patrick.

Default Sme 3009 tonearm too much mass for Thorens td150?

I've just had my thorens td150 serviced. The chap did quite a bit of work on it for a fair price. It's sounding noticeably better than previously. What I did find interesting is that I was advised that the sme 3009 (non improved) tonearm has too much mass for the turntable. I had previously been under the impression that the sme30009 was very suitable for a thorens td150. I actually have the orginal printed instructions for the tonearm being fitted to the thorens so it seems to have been a commom choice back when they were originally made. I have read a little bit elsewhere about too much cable effecting the suspension but little else. Any other views out there?

I'm Geoff.

Have you not considered servicing it yourself? They are pretty simple devices. I wouldn't be happy paying to have somebody work on something so easy to sort out.

The SME should be OK on the deck. After all, Thorens sold them with an SME cutout on the armboard, so they must have been happy with the idea. It used to be quite a common combination.

Yes, you should keep an eye on cable 'dressing'. It can affect the suspension freedom of movement if care is not taken.

Last edited by walpurgis; 17-03-2018 at 14:45.

I'm Grant.

Used an improved on my 160. Was great
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Peter.

Like wise, I had a SME 3009 on my TD160 fitted with the Thorens supplied mounting board, great combination. Just spend a bit of time carefully setting up the arm. There were suspension chassis modification kits available years ago for the TD range which made a big difference, I doubt they are available today?

I'm Artur.

Quote Originally Posted by homespun View Post
    Like wise, I had a SME 3009 on my TD160 fitted with the Thorens supplied mounting board, great combination. Just spend a bit of time carefully setting up the arm. There were suspension chassis modification kits available years ago for the TD range which made a big difference, I doubt they are available today?
    Could you tell me more about chassis modyfication suspension kit please

I'm Patrick.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Have you not considered servicing it yourself? They are pretty simple devices. I wouldn't be happy paying to have somebody work on something so easy to sort out.

The SME should be OK on the deck. After all, Thorens sold them with an SME cutout on the armboard, so they must have been happy with the idea. It used to be quite a common combination.

Yes, you should keep an eye on cable 'dressing'. It can affect the suspension freedom of movement if care is not taken.

Yeah I did consider servicing myself but it was needing more than a straight forward servicing. It wasnt earthed, the suspension wasnt right, the cartridge alignment wasnt 100%.
    With pets, toddler and lack of space/time it wasnt really an option. The issues are sorted now. Was just suprised when I was advised it wasnt the right tonearm for the table. Sounding great at the moment.

I'm Patrick.

Quote Originally Posted by homespun View Post
    Thats interesting. Thats one of the things that was an issue with my td150, the suspension wasnt set properly for the sme.

I'm Dave.

Late last year I serviced and set up a TD150 with SME 3009 Imp and had no issues at all. Back in the day, it was pretty well the go-to arm for a TD150.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I assume the SME arm has been modified to have a horizontal cable entry? Otherwise it is unlikely that you will be able to dress the cable so as not to have a detrimental effect on the suspension.

Also the dead weight of the SME 3009 (non-improved) is heavier than the standard Thorens TP-13 arm, so the deck suspension will have to be adjusted.

If you do that, then as others have reported, you can use an SME 3009 successfully with the Thorens TD150. I did.
    Barry

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I assume the SME arm has been modified to have a horizontal cable entry? Otherwise it is unlikely that you will be able to dress the cable so as not to have a detrimental effect on the suspension.
    I fitted a Decca International arm to my first TD150. It was the original version with the long stem housing the opposing magnets and needed around 100mm clear space below the arm board. I built a tall plinth housing or surround that the original plinth could drop into, providing clearance for the arm cable. Problem solved.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast