+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I'd like to try valve

I'm Steve.

Definitely consider something like the Leak Stereo 20. World class sound from an amp that will at worst hold its value and if the past ten years are anything to go by, probably increase.

https://www.hifishark.com/search?q=Leak+Stereo+20

The important part here being that it sounds great.

Seek out one that has been restored (new resistors and caps) if possible, although there are plenty of rebuild providers around who will do it for for, should you come across a really cheap Stereo 20 basket case. Classique Sounds in the UK Do a great job.

Steve

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    Frankly I would advise different speakers if you want to explore the world of valves
    That would be my option. Not that keen on Dynaudio speakers anyway.

I'm Steve.

Hi All
    Has anyone got any ideas on (Pathos Classic Remix Hybrid Valve Amplifier) I can get it for a very good price also i might need to up the budget if i opt for the next choice which is the (KT88 Integrated 35W). Thats if either are good enough (power wise) to use in my system
    Regards Steve...

I'm Richard.

Addendum:
    1. Avoid cheap Chinese Valve amps - especially those with transformers for 220V.
    2. Also look at the website of the AffordableValveCompany here in the UK. They offer a 30 day 'try-before-you-buy' which could be useful. The website is a mess and, apparently, the rumour is that the head guy is not a very pleasant person to deal with (after the initial transaction). I hasten to add that I have no experience of this as I haven't been a customer and thus feel somewhat embarrassed at passing on such rumours. If in doubt do a Google search.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by STD305M View Post
    Hi All
    Has anyone got any ideas on (Pathos Classic Remix Hybrid Valve Amplifier) I can get it for a very good price also i might need to up the budget if i opt for the next choice which is the (KT88 Integrated 35W). Thats if either are good enough (power wise) to use in my system
    Regards Steve...
    That's not a pure valve amp. It is (obviously) a 'hybrid'. Is that what you want?

I'm Steve.

May I add my tuppence ha'penny worth here? In the early 80s I ditched my solid state (SS) set up and bought a Quad 22/II valve setup. It was in excellent condition when I bought it and I even replaced all of the noisy carbon composition resistors with very quiet, very accurate, stable metal film ones. I used it for a few years and for sure it sounded 'good', but at the end of the day it had its quirks and idiosyncrasies that you just don't get with a good solid state amp. Notably there always seemed to be a crackle due to a poor valve connection or switch contact, dicky valve or something. BTW, I'm a qualified electronics engineer and experienced vintage gear restoration person so rest assured those problems were not of my making, they were just 'there', and kept popping up every few months or so. They also lack power for good low end reproduction at higher volumes. Of course, that's just one experience, I'm sure a modern, well designed, well built valve amp would be better in many respects. Anyway, I went back to solid state after about five years and have never looked back. It was something I wanted to do, did it and was not particularly enthused by. Solid state is demonstrably so much better in so many ways. Of course, to all of those who use and like valve equipment, in no way am I saying they are somehow wrong, at the end of the day it's not just about specs, it's not even about what seems to sound best, it's the system or components that you enjoy using, that make you happy! For the record I am a confirmed vintage audio enthusiast with many valve radios. I also love vintage valve guitar amplifiers, many of which I have owned and worked on. For hifi, I just think that other than the 'vibe' of valve amps and tuners etc (which is great) SS is the way to go.

I'm Shaun.

To a point I agree with Steve. If you want floorstanders, electronic music and gut wrenching bass and kick drum then valves are never going to please. A hugely powerful tranny amplifier is going to grip those cones to death, a valve amp is not. If you want an astonishingly pure and open midband with the most exceptional vocal and acoustic instrument sound then a good valve amp is going to have you in tears. They have this liquid purity in the midband that I have never heard from trannies in forty years of listening. Of course, speaker matching is critical.

I'm Shaun.

Oh yeah, hybrid amps are being discussed are they not..? I have owned two over the years and though they are bloody good, they are not all valve and therefore do not sound the same as an all valve setup.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    That's not a pure valve amp. It is (obviously) a 'hybrid'. Is that what you want?
    To be quite honest Im not exactly sure what i want, I heard my friends valve amp on a system similar to mine and thought it
    was Awesome, so much emotion and resolution, It was like having the artist in the room!!!

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by STD305M View Post
    To be quite honest Im not exactly sure what i want, I heard my friends valve amp on a system similar to mine and thought it
    was Awesome, so much emotion and resolution, It was like having the artist in the room!!!
    Just copy his system.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast