+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: I'd like to try valve

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Indeed - and I'd certainly put Nick's designs into the same category.

Have you fitted that mains lead yet?

Marco.
    I have!
    Fitted it to the silver plated double socket and brings a nice improvement, so thanks mate.

I’ll be rewiring the whole balanced mains kit n caboodle with this cable, or as close as I can get to it.
    The french solid core stuff you got for me was way better than the Lapp cable I was using initially, but this Furukawa wire is a step above again.

I know its discontinued, but there seems to be a newer version of it available?
    http://www.audiocomav.co.uk/untermin...-fs-20-v2.html

Here comes the “Science Bit”...
    Info on the new cable here:
    http://www.canyonaudio.si/wp-content...-conductor.pdf

wotcha fink Boss?
    Last edited by Gazjam; 01-04-2018 at 10:12.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Mike.

Despite owning Armstrongs, Rogers, Quads and RCAs way back in the 60s, 70s and early 80s, I don't consider myself knowledgeable at all about valved amplication. For some reason I just happened to try two E.A.R. 509s against my Naim 135s, and kept them.

More recently I added the 912 pre., ending a decade of Naim 552 ownership. There is absolutely no question from any of the local hifi enthusiasts or me of the sheer musical enhancement of these replacements, though powering big ESLs may have something to do with it.

However, despite being as happy as a sand-boy, I often wonder what other quality push-pulls would bring to the party. Unfortunately, alternatives seem to be American (ARC and the other one whose name escapes me). A complication is that I have matching and compatible amp's/speakers, so it's probably not a case of substituting only one aspect. There are British valved amp. manufacturers, but I wonder if any do monoblocks.

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reed View Post
    Despite owning Armstrongs, Rogers, Quads and RCAs way back in the 60s, 70s and early 80s, I don't consider myself knowledgeable at all about valved amplication. For some reason I just happened to try two E.A.R. 509s against my Naim 135s, and kept them.

More recently I added the 912 pre., ending a decade of Naim 552 ownership. There is absolutely no question from any of the local hifi enthusiasts or me of the sheer musical enhancement of these replacements, though powering big ESLs may have something to do with it.

However, despite being as happy as a sand-boy, I often wonder what other quality push-pulls would bring to the party. Unfortunately, alternatives seem to be American (ARC and the other one whose name escapes me). A complication is that I have matching and compatible amp's/speakers, so it's probably not a case of substituting only one aspect. There are British valved amp. manufacturers, but I wonder if any do monoblocks.
    Border Patrol make the S20 and P20 but I think they are dual mono types but with two psu's, one for each channel.
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm Gary.

At your budget Steve, I'd look no further that World Audio Designs amps.
    Always a risk buying second hand (been stung myself) and you'll be getting a brand new amp built by guys that REALLY know their stuff - and they are UK based.

http://www.world-designs.co.uk/index.htm

Seriously, cant stress this enough...this is your answer.

Quote Originally Posted by STD305M View Post
    Hi all,
    Im reasonably happy with my system but would like to try a Valve amp.
    I have no idea what to look for and hope members with experience of valve amps could suggest where to start.
    Looking for second hand but have no idea of cost or what would suit my system???

My current lash up is

Project 2xperience with recently purchased AT33ptg from a member

Cyrus CD8se

Rega Brio 2017

TEAC X-3 Reel to Reel

Dynaudio emit m20

Cables Klotz - Audioquest Diamondback - QED XT40

Any suggestions welcome

Regards Steve...
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    At your budget Steve, I'd look no further that World Audio Designs amps.
    Always a risk buying second hand (been stung myself) and you'll be getting a brand new amp built by guys that REALLY know their stuff - and they are UK based.

http://www.world-designs.co.uk/index.htm

Seriously, cant stress this enough...this is your answer.
    I’d second this about the WAD amps, I had Tony’s EL84 power amp on loan and it really worked well with my Tannoys, I did have the chance to buy it, but I wanted more power so bought a Primaluna power amp instead, but if a WAD XL had come up for sale I would have bought that instead, but at the time there were hardly any valve amps for sale on any of the forums, and of course now that I’ve bought the PL there are loads of alternatives on offer.

Bear in mind though, in my case it wasn’t just about buying any EL84 amp, the WAD was great in my setup, but the EL84 monoblocks that Tony also loaned me at the same time just didn’t do well at all.

If I hadn’t liked the PL Amp so much I’d have been more than happy with a WAD, in fact I still might as I think the EL84 sound suits my ear slightly better than the EL34 sound, but the PL amp was a great price and it can take all manner of KT tubes which I the end sold it to me, that and the fact that I like concert level volume at times and the PL certainly gives me that

I'm Philip.

The ming da piccalo in the classifieds is a very nice amplifier.
    Add some sensative speakers such as snell j2 and you have a very nice valve setup.

Should be easy to move on if you decide to upgrade/change later.

I'm Lawrence.

Get the LVs just listed and a valve amp for about £600 and you're sorted!!

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

I'm Steve.

Part of the reason the LVs are for sale is that an old flame amp of mine has become available (art quintet) and i would love to try it with my WLMs as I think it would be perfect... so I could do the LVs and a primaluna dialogue 1 for £1000 for the two. It's a nice sounding combo.

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

The LV's and then maybe audio innovations series 500 integrated or a Puresound A30 and you'll have a very nice introduction to the valve sound.
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Audio inovations A 300 is also a great little amp, if you can find one!
    Quote Originally Posted by chris@panteg View Post
    The LV's and then maybe audio innovations series 500 integrated or a Puresound A30 and you'll have a very nice introduction to the valve sound.
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast