+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: I'd like to try valve

I'm Steve.

sazeracrye

Really have no idea what your posts are about?????

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by STD305M View Post
    sazeracrye

Really have no idea what your posts are about?????
    Nor have I. Some clarification of this code? Would be good.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by sazeracrye View Post
    Sorry to ccç you know cccyuI I am fam cifiicfiS4#zg&z

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk
    ?????
    Barry

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

It might as well be Swahili Steve as I have absolutely no idea what all this means...
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Gary.

Time to get the Banhammer out I reckon, another ‘comedian’...terrific.

Anyway back in topic.
    Theres a lot of generalisation and stereotypes about valve amps circling about, unfortunately they can get quite pricey to get them to do what they REALLY do better than solid state.
    Solid state amps do great things too of course, my own valve amp is a hybrid 300B SET (all 8 watts of her) and you kniw what, it pays to be open minded about this stuff and not sit firmly in a “my way is the only way” camp.
    I think a lot of the negative stuff on valve amplification is based on reading online of peoples experience of compromised kit.
    Read enough of that and a pattern builds up.

For a given budget it can sometimes be better to go with a great solid state amp that gets toward what a proper vslve amp can do.
    If determined to go valves I’d recommend something from WAD?
    An old post here on AOS but lets you see what the amps are like.
    http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?30024-2-WAD-Valve-Amp

At your budget I wouldnt get anything valve amp wise than this except maybe something from Croft.

*Edited for being typotastic*
    Last edited by Gazjam; 22-03-2018 at 19:51.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Time to get the Banhammer out I reckon, another ‘comedian’...terrific.

Anyway back in topic.
    Theres a lot of generalisation and stereotypes about valve amps circling about, unfortunately they can get quite pricey to really get them to do what they REALLY do better from solid state.

For a given budget it can sometimes be better to go with a great solid stste amp that gets toward what a proper vslve amp can do.
    If determined tomgo valves I’d recommend something from WAD?
    An old post here on AOS but lets you see what the amps are like.

At your budget I wouldnt get anything valve amp wise than this except somethijg from Croft.
    Yes I think the "Banhammer" should come out Gazjam..

As far as the budget of £1k - £1.2k goes I can certainly recommend a good used Audio Note Oto which I owned for about 15 years and as long as 'suitable' speakers are used it can produce some lovely sounds... I owned a couple of Crofts, the Vitale pre and an integrated, the pre was very good but I didn't get on with the integrated and the Oto, to me, sounded far superior... just as long as the speakers are an easy load for any SET amp to perform at their best
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Gary.

Forgot about Audio Note, a good recommendation if you can find one within budget.

As you suggest Bev,
    The choice of speaker is perhaps more important with valve amps that it might be with solid state.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Forgot about Audio Note, a good recommendation if you can find one within budget.

As you suggest Bev,
    The choice of speaker is perhaps more important with valve amps that it might be with solid state.
    I sold my immaculate and perfect AN Oto well within the budget but they don't come up that often so Steve might have to wait a while

Absolutely, the choice of speaker is more important with valve amps, especially low powered SET's, than with ss
    Bev

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ninanina View Post
    Yes I think the "Banhammer" should come out Gazjam..

As far as the budget of £1k - £1.2k goes I can certainly recommend a good used Audio Note Oto which I owned for about 15 years and as long as 'suitable' speakers are used it can produce some lovely sounds... I owned a couple of Crofts, the Vitale pre and an integrated, the pre was very good but I didn't get on with the integrated and the Oto, to me, sounded far superior... just as long as the speakers are an easy load for any SET amp to perform at their best
    Strong emphasis on the SET friendly caveat here ... on one of my forays with AN-E's I borrowed an Oto SE Phono Signature, supposedly top of the Oto line .. even with the E's I wasn't mightily impressed, but with non-SET friendly speakers (such as the 15in Tannoys I had at the time - OK I tried it for a laugh, I mean you have to), 10w of parallel triode strapped EL84s didn't feel like it was powerful enough to pull the skin off a rice pudding. (And in general I'm an EL 84 fan). I would most definitely check that it was sufficient for the needs of whoever was buying it. It's the same power section as is in the P1 incidentally.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    Strong emphasis on the SET friendly caveat here ... on one of my forays with AN-E's I borrowed an Oto SE Phono Signature, supposedly top of the Oto line .. even with the E's I wasn't mightily impressed, but with non-SET friendly speakers (such as the 15in Tannoys I had at the time - OK I tried it for a laugh, I mean you have to), 10w of parallel triode strapped EL84s didn't feel like it was powerful enough to pull the skin off a rice pudding. (And in general I'm an EL 84 fan). I would most definitely check that it was sufficient for the needs of whoever was buying it. It's the same power section as is in the P1 incidentally.
    Well I guess we are all different Tom as I found the stock Oto very good indeed which is why I owned it for so many years and to be honest I was quite reluctant to sell it

I used the Oto into Klipsch Heresys, Rega RS3's and the Living Voice Auditoriums and the LV's sounded the best with the Oto
    Bev

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast