+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: I'd like to try valve

I'm Peter.

There is a Leak Stereo 20 for sale - it’s mine and it’s still for sale at £500.
    Peter

I'm Steve.

Hi Peter
    If it wasn't for the fact several members have mentioned that 20 watts is not enough to drive my Dynaudio speakers I'd snap your hand off..I cant afford to buy the amp and buy replacement speakers .
    Thanks for the offer:
    Last edited by STD305M; 18-03-2018 at 19:56.

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

I've owned valve amps for about 15 years Steve and the only thing I would recommend is that you stick to one of the better known brands, there are lots of them, rather than some unknown/Chinese cheap versions. The reason I say this is that you want something that is going to be reliable and that if anything does go wrong you have some good backup so you are not put off valves for life

I stuck to good well known brands and I've had no problems, well actually one little problem but that was sorted quickly and very cheaply by the manufacturer, which just proves that valve amps can be just as reliable as ss

Older valve amps, like Leak and Quad and others, can also be good buys, even though they are old, because there is a very good knowledge base and most good hifi repairs can tackle them

I've owned Quad, Croft, Conrad Johnson, Decware and Audio Note... I'm sure I've missed some out but just cannot remember at the moment

I did own a couple of Chinese amps and while they were good for the minimal outlay they both lacked 'something' and I also knew they were both almost 'throwaway' items if they went wrong as they were not worth the expense of having repaired

The other information I can give you is not to worry too much about output wattage. I know it is difficult coming from ss, with all their huge outputs, to dismiss a valve amp on watts alone. As long as you have a reasonable match speaker wise you have nothing to worry about. The lowest output valve amp I owned was only 1.5w but partnered with the correct speakers it was perfect even in quite a large room

Your Dynaudio Emit M20 speakers are rated at 86dB but sensitivity is only a rough idea how easy/hard a speaker is to drive, it also comes down to their construction and to some extent the crossover and how large your room is etc. I would have been happy to try and drive your speakers even with the SET amps I've owned of about 8 - 10w

And one last thing, while I think about it, I would also recommend not going the hybrid amp route which normally use a valve in the pre section with ss taking care of the power side; I've owned 2 hybrids and I found them pretty boring sounding and not having the strengths of either a valve or a ss amp

Hope that might help Steve
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Geoff.

I think you need to clarify what you are looking for in a new amp and whether you are willing:

a) to replace your speakers to a pair that will be better matched to a modestly priced and specced valve amp: or,

b) invest a significant amount on a valve am that will work with your current speakers.

I am guessing that you are attracted to the mid range presence of valve amps and the absence of high frequency grain and harshness.

As I said earlier, there are modern non-valve amps that can produce a valve like sound and yet still sound valve like.

The absolutely critical issue is not to lay out any cash until you have heard your intended amp and speakers working together.

Geoff

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninanina View Post
    I've owned valve amps for about 15 years Steve and the only thing I would recommend is that you stick to one of the better known brands, there are lots of them, rather than some unknown/Chinese cheap versions. The reason I say this is that you want something that is going to be reliable and that if anything does go wrong you have some good backup so you are not put off valves for life

I stuck to good well known brands and I've had no problems, well actually one little problem but that was sorted quickly and very cheaply by the manufacturer, which just proves that valve amps can be just as reliable as ss

Older valve amps, like Leak and Quad and others, can also be good buys, even though they are old, because there is a very good knowledge base and most good hifi repairs can tackle them

I've owned Quad, Croft, Conrad Johnson, Decware and Audio Note... I'm sure I've missed some out but just cannot remember at the moment

I did own a couple of Chinese amps and while they were good for the minimal outlay they both lacked 'something' and I also knew they were both almost 'throwaway' items if they went wrong as they were not worth the expense of having repaired

The other information I can give you is not to worry too much about output wattage. I know it is difficult coming from ss, with all their huge outputs, to dismiss a valve amp on watts alone. As long as you have a reasonable match speaker wise you have nothing to worry about. The lowest output valve amp I owned was only 1.5w but partnered with the correct speakers it was perfect even in quite a large room

Your Dynaudio Emit M20 speakers are rated at 86dB but sensitivity is only a rough idea how easy/hard a speaker is to drive, it also comes down to their construction and to some extent the crossover and how large your room is etc. I would have been happy to try and drive your speakers even with the SET amps I've owned of about 8 - 10w

And one last thing, while I think about it, I would also recommend not going the hybrid amp route which normally use a valve in the pre section with ss taking care of the power side; I've owned 2 hybrids and I found them pretty boring sounding and not having the strengths of either a valve or a ss amp

Hope that might help Steve
    Sound advice indeed
    I've no intention in making the mistake of going out and buying the first reasonably priced amp.
    I will listen using my equipment where possible or at least a similar system.

Will keep everyone posted when i make my decision on what to get and a small review of what i think of valve

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by STD305M View Post
    Hi Oliver
    Thanks, my buget is around £1,000 to £1,200

Regards Steve
    Steve
    try to find someone you know who went to the Wam show in Kegworth, my room mate in 117 was running a John Wood bespoke KT88 (push pull) integrated into my power hungry 4ohm/85db speakers and was sounding awesome in IMHO on all types of music (I run a >500wpc SS amp and the KT88 amp compared very well). In fact so good once the amp warmed up my MF amp never got a look in, perhaps we played some loud stuff too often but it caused lots of big grins. It does vocals very well.
    Within your budget I suspect, pictures on the wam or PM me

A number of people took John's number . . . . there maybe a queue
    cheers, Paul
    cheers Paul

My main system:
    Linn LP12/PU2/Goldring Eroica + Puresound T10 + EAR834P / Innuos ZENmini2 + Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ / Musical Fidelity A5 + L2 mods / Boenicke W8 speakers

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonky View Post
    Addendum:
    1. Avoid cheap Chinese Valve amps - especially those with transformers for 220V.
    2. Also look at the website of the AffordableValveCompany here in the UK. They offer a 30 day 'try-before-you-buy' which could be useful. The website is a mess and, apparently, the rumour is that the head guy is not a very pleasant person to deal with (after the initial transaction). I hasten to add that I have no experience of this as I haven't been a customer and thus feel somewhat embarrassed at passing on such rumours. If in doubt do a Google search.
    Sorry to say, but I think there's a contradiction here as AVC sells cheap Chinese valve amps imported into the UK. Of course, I would agree you should look at the website. It's very amusing, just don't buy an amp off them!

Some good Chinese valve amps are Opera (Consonance), Puresound and Prima Luna, don't confuse these with Douk Audio, Yaqin and Nobsound etc.

I'm Steve.

I don't know your speakers but as a worry free and flexible introduction to valve amps, Primaluna is the place to start.
    I've had a LOT of valve integrateds and I'm happily using a prima Luna Prologue 1. It's an excellent all rounder. Peak hifi had a prologue 2 in their used section last time I looked.

I'm Shaun.

Really do have to agree but then I would, I now use a Prima Luna Prologue 3 preamp and Dialogue Premium poweramp. They are serious pieces of kit in every way but they also cost quite a bit. An integrated version I think would be much better value for money. Regarding loudspeakers though, it is fairly essential that you use 'easy' to drive units with a fairly flat impedance curve. No dropping down to 3.2 Ohms here and there when the makers claim 8 Ohms. Once again, I hope you find a way forward and have the most amazing purity of sound. You won't get it with tranny amps.

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by STD305M View Post
    To be quite honest Im not exactly sure what i want, I heard my friends valve amp on a system similar to mine and thought it
    was Awesome, so much emotion and resolution, It was like having the artist in the room!!!
    Yeah, one of the things you will find with valves is the purity and natural quality of the sound. Not a hint of graininess or artificiality just a warm, highly involving sound with beautiful tones and textures. If you wanted even more of that my suggestion would be 300B single ended but that would require a complete rethink of loudspeakers.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast