+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Diet

I'm Martin.

I can't accurately recall the last time I had KFC, I think it was in 2004.

As for all the nonsense about foods being bad or good for you. Look at butter. They reckoned it would kill you quicker than smoking, and everyone turned to an industrial by-product that needed to be coloured to look like butter before anyone would touch it. Tasteless shite. Now it turns out there is nothing wrong with eating butter which is what I said all along.

The obsession with cutting out fat has caused an epidemic of depression. And now they are all on pills from the vet which we all know are really good for you.

They make it up as they go along and people are so gullible they believe it.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Paul.

I just dont get the whole issue with fast food and takeaway not being healthy, that’s the whole point. You’re not supposed to eat it on a regular basis, just now and again. It’s when people dont have a balanced diet and take in far more calories than they use the problems start.
    ~Paul~

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Primalsea View Post
    I just dont get the whole issue with fast food and takeaway not being healthy, that’s the whole point. You’re not supposed to eat it on a regular basis, just now and again. It’s when people dont have a balanced diet and take in far more calories than they use the problems start.
    Exactly.

It's all the bullshit diet books that have caused the problem. 'Fat makes you fat.' No it doesn't, it's an essential part of a healthy diet. Eating more calories than you burn makes you fat and that's it. Of course you won't sell may diet books saying that.

When I was poor I got my protein from milk, beans, eggs, cheese. Buy a sack of baking potatoes for 3 quid, will last you 6 months. Couldn't afford to get the bus so walked everywhere (travelling time is not a factor when you've got all day, every day). Quite often would walk 12, 15, 20 miles in a day, in all weathers. I was perfectly fit and healthy.

If poor people eat shit food it's because they want to. I've noticed before that people who have never been poor have very odd ideas about what being poor is like.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I can't accurately recall the last time I had KFC, I think it was in 2004.

As for all the nonsense about foods being bad or good for you. Look at butter. They reckoned it would kill you quicker than smoking, and everyone turned to an industrial by-product that needed to be coloured to look like butter before anyone would touch it. Tasteless shite. Now it turns out there is nothing wrong with eating butter which is what I said all along.

The obsession with cutting out fat has caused an epidemic of depression. And now they are all on pills from the vet which we all know are really good for you.

They make it up as they go along and people are so gullible they believe it.
    It's not fat, it's excessive amount of salt that's the killer, as it has all sorts of nasty effects on the body, including the risk of inducing high blood pressure - and the fact is, there are (measurably) very high amounts of salt in KFC, and in that of meals available at other fast-food outlets. See here: https://www.scotsman.com/news/pizza-...nders-1-695345

I have a small amount of very nice butter [Beurre d'Isigny, as shown below], as I prefer the taste of continental butter to the British variety, as it's lighter and creamier, with my toast for breakfast, so I've got no issues with butter, consumed in moderation.

As for fat, there are good fats and bad (saturated) fats. It's the latter you have to watch, which takeaway food and ready meals/processed foods are full of. Again, you won't die of a heart attack if you have some, but if you're at all interested in a balanced and healthy diet, then you should be careful how much of it you eat.

No food is truly bad for you, if consumed in moderation [the key word]. Now here's that lovely butter I enjoy for breakfast, on toasted rye bread, which I combine with some French 'Bonne Maman' strawberry or apricot jam:

It's superb for cooking too, and imparts a lovely (almost nutty) flavour on food!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Primalsea View Post
    I completely agree, Paul, but that's not what the discussion has been about.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Ben.

My gym instructor said to eat simple home made meals such as porridge oats in the morning, pasta and chicken for lunch and sensible evening meals. I started it at the beginning of the week and its now taking over my evenings preparing for the next day

But it also helps me keep to a routine, this morning I wasn't particularly feeling great but because my food for the day, swimming kit & clothes for the day were all set and ready I was still able to stagger out of bed and be in the pool for 7am. 800m swim later I'm showered dressed and sitting at work with delicious bowl of hot porridge feeling like I've achieved something. Lunch is some plain pasta & tuna which I know will keep me full till early evening and fuel me for maybe a session of weights in the gym later.
    Technics SL1210 with
    SME IV Arm & AT OC9XML,
    Firebottle modded Tron Convergence Phono Stage,
    Bluesound Node 2i, Technics SL DZ 1200 CD
    Denon PMA1700ne amp
    Yamaha NS1000M Speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    If poor people eat shit food it's because they want to. I've noticed before that people who have never been poor have very odd ideas about what being poor is like.
    Not necessarily. It may simply be because they don't know any better or differently, as has often been my experience, when helping poor people (in soup kitchens and by donating items to food banks, etc), through the church I go to. Yes, strangely enough you don't need to have been poor to know how poor people live

And once they've been shown how to cook healthy meals for themselves, and cheaply, often using the donations they've been given at food banks, and fresh produce from the gardens of fellow parishioners, I can assure you that they're immensely grateful, and the quality of their lives subsequently, improves significantly!

Marco.
    Main System

Quote Originally Posted by Audio Al View Post
    In the summer the stench from the waste bins and the floor covered in fat made me gag...
    Interesting... That's most likely what rotted the shoes of the guy I knew who worked there. It'd have been all the salt contained in that fat.

Right lads, who's for a KFC family-sized 'Bargain Bucket' and fries at lunchtime?

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoidburg View Post
    My gym instructor said to eat simple home made meals such as porridge oats in the morning, pasta and chicken for lunch and sensible evening meals. I started it at the beginning of the week and its now taking over my evenings preparing for the next day

But it also helps me keep to a routine, this morning I wasn't particularly feeling great but because my food for the day, swimming kit & clothes for the day were all set and ready I was still able to stagger out of bed and be in the pool for 7am. 800m swim later I'm showered dressed and sitting at work with delicious bowl of hot porridge feeling like I've achieved something. Lunch is some plain pasta & tuna which I know will keep me full till early evening and fuel me for maybe a session of weights in the gym later.
    I have to admit, I found swimming up and down a pool and doing weight reps pretty boring. Still did it though.

Doing proper real donkey work for a living and regular judo training kept me much fitter and put more muscle on me.

I went from 38" chest to 45" between the ages of 23 and 33 from doing this. 45" is big for a little guy.

I'm Ben.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I have to admit, I found swimming up and down a pool and doing weight reps pretty boring. Still did it though.

Doing proper real donkey work for a living and regular judo training kept me much fitter and put more muscle on me.

I went from 38" chest to 45" between the ages of 23 and 33 from doing this. 45" is big for a little guy.
    Yep I agree that swimming can be boring for sure, I generally get to about 15 lengths and think "why am I doing this???" by length 30 odd I can generally see the end in sight though which spurs me on and by 40 its all starting to feel easy. It helps me if I think of it in slots of time, at the end of the day its just a 45min session that I need to get through.
    Technics SL1210 with
    SME IV Arm & AT OC9XML,
    Firebottle modded Tron Convergence Phono Stage,
    Bluesound Node 2i, Technics SL DZ 1200 CD
    Denon PMA1700ne amp
    Yamaha NS1000M Speakers.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast