+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: HiFi Dealer 'Predators'

I'm Andrew.

I think we can all think of examples of buyers who are able to take advantage of the unwary, house clearance people and antique dealers come to mind. There was once a thread on here about the morality of taking advantage of people misspelling items on ebay etc. I don't think it is as entirely as black and white as some are making out. Without the fine details of the particular transaction it is difficult to make a statement as to whether it was fair or not. But if, for example, the buyer had said something could only be sold on at £x amount and then sold it for twice that it might be a little unfair. It also depends on the amounts involved. If something has been bought at say £10,000 and sold on for £20,000 that is a big mark up for not a lot of work and very different to buying something at £10 and selling it for £20. Remember the OP only came on to warn others not to make the same mistake, not to get his money back.

I'm Mike.

Research to gather data when flogging kit

Whatever a dealer offers is way less than you want to sell it for.
    I was offered £3000 for my Pass Labs Pre so I assumed top end of £4000 and that's where I started.
    Thought it would be long gone by now, but still around at £4250. Probably as it's not a known brand.

You get way more selling privately but that might take time.

House developers commonly work on 100%
    Buy for £200k, build and flog for £400k.
    TAD CD / DAC / Pre, Technics 1210, MCRU PSU, Mike New Bearing & Platter, Stillpoints LP1 weight, Speedy Steve Ebony armboard, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Ortofon SPU. Aurorasound VIDA Phono Pre Amp, TAD Power Amp, TAD E1 speakers. Coherent RTZ 3 Grounding box, Coherent grounding cables, Creaktiv racks. Coherent Mains Cables. SR Blue Fuse. Interconnects : Coherent and Yannis 223.5 Connect Litz. Coherent speaker cable. Audio Magic Transcendence Conditioner. Coherent mains socket. Mains Filters : , PS Audio Harvesters, Russ Andrews Purifiers, Tacima, Vertex. Black Ravioli and RDC supports. Electric Beach S1NX platforms for TAD CD and Technics. Ferrite chokes everywhere except the above. Ears, brain

Mike

I'm Tim.

You have to remember that there are costs to doing business.

Say for example the dealer paid you £1000 and then you see it up for sale at £2000, seems like a kicker doesn't it.

Until you factor in VAT, free shipping if offered, a figure for a RTB warranty, his finance cost for his stock, premises overheads, his time demo'ing to all and sundry (who half the time don't buy anything) and then after all that it is highly unlikely he'll get the asking price, possibly £1800-£1850.

Suddenly he's clearing £300 on it and that doesn't include the price of the gun he's apparently holding to your head

I'm Dave.

and if he sold it for £1000 + VAT and took payment by credit card, he would LOSE 3% in card fees.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Thetiminator View Post

Say for example the dealer paid you £1000 and then you see it up for sale at £2000, seems like a kicker doesn't it.

Until you factor in VAT, free shipping if offered, a figure for a RTB warranty, his finance cost for his stock, premises overheads, his time demo'ing to all and sundry (who half the time don't buy anything) and then after all that it is highly unlikely he'll get the asking price, possibly £1800-£1850.

Suddenly he's clearing £300 on it and that doesn't include the price of the gun he's apparently holding to your head...
    Spot on. From some of the reasoning often expressed on these threads, you'd think that dealers were simply supposed to 'exist' on fresh air!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasonski73 View Post
    something comes up you have always wanted so you decide to sell your gear to put funds towards the kit you want to buy and with dead lines etc you need to sell fast thats where the dealer come in and take total advantage of us all
    I would twist this on it's head, it is you who wanted something and you wanted it so much you were willing to accept the deal.

I really WANT a new amp, have been wanting this amp for many months but I simply can't afford it, so do I:

1 Use a credit card, I can do this with ease with plenty of credit. Like hell I do, I keep a credit card for emergency use only, if I can't afford the amp in the first place, taking out credit is going to make my life worst.

2 Do as you apparently did and sell/PX some older gear. My choice, how much am I willing to accept for the PX, no one forces you, you go into the deal with your eyes open.

3 Use some self control. Yes I "Want" the new amp, but the one I currently use is fine, it may be ugly but it sounds OK, so I can wait until funds improve, or maybe even change my mind and end up getting a better deal later on.

I find self control a good thing.

I'm Ian.

I've been one of many who've had their say and I'm sure the OP is feeling slightly bruised by now ! We do stuff, we say stuff, we learn, we move on. I'm sure we've all had hurting wantitis at some point in our past, we do like those boxes, a bit too much sometimes

Bloody Hi Fi !

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by bobvfr View Post
    I would twist this on it's head, it is you who wanted something and you wanted it so much you were willing to accept the deal.

I really WANT a new amp, have been wanting this amp for many months but I simply can't afford it, so do I:

1 Use a credit card, I can do this with ease with plenty of credit. Like hell I do, I keep a credit card for emergency use only, if I can't afford the amp in the first place, taking out credit is going to make my life worst.

2 Do as you apparently did and sell/PX some older gear. My choice, how much am I willing to accept for the PX, no one forces you, you go into the deal with your eyes open.

3 Use some self control. Yes I "Want" the new amp, but the one I currently use is fine, it may be ugly but it sounds OK, so I can wait until funds improve, or maybe even change my mind and end up getting a better deal later on.

I find self control a good thing.
    Excellent post!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by Thetiminator View Post

Suddenly he's clearing £300 on it and that doesn't include the price of the gun he's apparently holding to your head
    so a dealer i deal with has driven from bristol to lend me 15k worth of kit for a month , then he will be driving from south coast to pick up kit plus part ex items and set up stuff and drive all the way back to the south coast

thats almost 2 days travelling as well as stock laid out on demo . all these costs have to be paid for
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Excellent post!