+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: HiFi Dealer 'Predators'

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Jason. Do not name the dealer.

If it happens again, I'll suspend you.

Thread moved to Blank Canvas. It does not belong in Private Exhibitions.
    I agree that merely complaining about a dealer selling for way over what they paid a punter is no reason to complain - but I thought that in the interest of members bad dealers should be named?
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

I'm Slav.

Quote Originally Posted by farflungstar View Post
    I agree that merely complaining about a dealer selling for way over what they paid a punter is no reason to complain - but I thought that in the interest of members bad dealers should be named?
    and how fair it is , you're going to hear just one side of the story

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by mac72 View Post
    and how fair it is , you're going to hear just one side of the story
    Agreed, but certain dealers or seller's acquire a reputation. The forum has a lot of posts about eBay etc. I don't have a problem with mark up on price - but I do wish some dealers/sellers would check equipment before selling or shipping. This would avoid speakers turning up with dread drive units, duff valves etc, and a bad name.
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    The Truth linestage
    Cary 805c SET amps

I'm Geoff.

Expressing unhappiness or dissatisfaction in relation to a dealer is one thing, but making actionable comments is quite another and can't be allowed.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Expressing unhappiness or dissatisfaction in relation to a dealer is one thing, but making actionable comments is quite another and can't be allowed.
    Not having had the opportunity to read the OP I can't comment. But next time I see anyone slagging a dealer, maker I'll bring it to the attention of the moderators. Thanks for bringing me up to speed.
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    The Truth linestage
    Cary 805c SET amps

I'm Geoff.

Thanks for bringing me up to speed.
    Glad to see you are now able to understand.

I'm paul.

If your life doesn't depend on selling something I don't see how you can whine about how much more the dealer is making over what he paid you. In this case it's only hifi ffs.
    Other than a Japanese seller on eBay I've never bought from dealer scum and never will.
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm Mike.

Bit of a struggle understanding the opening post, but if Nial's synopsis is a fair account, I really don't understand the purpose of the vitriolic rant. Sour grapes, possibly? To encapsulate, then, o.p. , in a rush to garner funds to feed an impulse purchase, sells his kit to a trader, avoiding the longer and less certain methods of forum or Ebay classifieds/auctions. Presumably initially satisfied, he realises later that the dealer had offered the item(s) for resale at something around double his buying price. This is now considered an outright con.

Now if any of the above is incorrect (at least in outline), I apologise. If a fair translation, then it seems that no prior market price research was done, that the action was hasty at best and lastly, he presumably approached the dealer for a quick sale. I've seen stuff advertised on forums followed by posts shouting 'bargain alert', where the seller has (inadvertently?) priced his goods well below the market rate, and it's snapped up immediately. These 'bargains' are a daily occurrence and the dealer concerned simply had a good day, assuming he could move it on quickly and at a mark-up.

Nope ! Just can't see how this (ad hominem?) rant holds water, but I may have the wrong end of the stick here because of initial linguistic and syntactic confusion.

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

I think you've summed it up perfectly Mike
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Geoff.

I have always assumed that a big trade reselling mark-up was normal and to be expected. Dealers are not in it for entertainment value.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast