+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: HiFi Dealer 'Predators'

I'm Slav.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I have always assumed that a big trade reselling mark-up was normal and to be expected. Dealers are not in it for entertainment value.
    And this sums it all up

I'm Andrew.

I'm afraid I have little sympathy. You sold an item for a specific amount of money that at the time were happy to accept. Job done, business concluded. The new owner of your old item can do what they like with it including selling it for more than what they paid. That's life, move on....
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Ian.

There's much said about ebay, but the one thing it does to perfection is to achieve market value for any given thing at any given time (for 13%).

I'm Martin.

Its an interesting point because I am more than a little fed up of these small traders (especially on ebay) selling things at vastly overinflated prices.

Its just way overpriced and it does annoy me. I dont know how they are making any money because they dont seem to be flexible or realistic on pricing.

I could name you anything from music centres to Creek amps or a certain cassette deck Im after. Lets take the cassette deck where private prices take them to say £90 or even less.... maybe a bit more if its very nice ...you know bearing in mind that its only going to have a working when you get it type of guarantee. Then you see one of these dealers/chancers with one and the prices can be £250. the thing only has a lower value to me so its like they have taken one off the market ir I may be forced into a rip off situation. Its approx 20 years old FFS!

Ive picked up the older Creek amps and tuners for say £40 each or in that area. These dealers get hold of one and they are suddenly listed at £150+ with no servicing on them or added value for money. Then the private sellers see the dealer listing and starting prices go up and up

So these traders must be bidding on the private market and they are generally driving prices up. Ok they can sell at any price they want so who is paying those prices because I have a good idea of what things are actually worth.

Yes you can tell me about market forces so maybe my annoyance is directed at those who buy at the higher prices. Capitalism when I want a bargain
    Last edited by Minstrel SE; 17-03-2018 at 11:13.

I'm Slav.

Things are worth as much as they sell for

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel SE View Post
    Its an interesting point because I am more than a little fed up of these small traders especially on ebay selling things at vastly over inflated prices.

Its just way overpriced and it does annoy me. I dont know how that are making any money because they dont sem to be flexible or realistic on pricing.

I could name you anything from music centres to Creek amps or a certain cassette deck Im after. Lets take the cassette deck where private prices take them to say £80 or even less. maybe a bit more if its very nice...you know bearing in mind that its only going to have a months guarantee if that. Then you see one of these dealers/chancers with one and the prices can be £250.

Ive picked up the older Creek amps and tuners for say £30 each or in that area. These dealers get hold of one and they are suddenly listed at £150+ with no servicing on them or added value for money. Then the private sellers see the dealer listing and starting prices go up and up

So these traders must be bidding on the private market and they are generally driving prices up.Ok they can sell at any price they want so who is paying those prices because I have a good idea of what things are actually worth.
    Things get talked up on forums though. Creek amps are a good example. The bloke who bought one new in 1986 decides in 2018 he might as well sell it as it has sat unused for 15 years. He's not short of cash. He figures that it is old, that technology must have moved on, and so no-one will want it. So he sticks it on Gumtree for £20 just to get rid.

But say before he does that he idly decides to google it and of course he comes across all sorts of forum posts saying 'Yes, old Creek amps, still excellent bits of kit, worth looking out for'. So he prices it at £90 instead.

I put up a review on here years ago of a CDP player titled 'The Best CD Player In The World?' - despite the question mark and the fact that the thread title was obvious click-bait/tongue in cheek almost anytime I see one of these players advertised on eBay there is a link to that thread and even some quotes lifted from it. Sort of scary and amusing all at the same time.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Martin.

Yes thats all very true. The market will drive it to a level that people will pay for it. That said the dealers seem to have the time to leave it listed until a mug comes along. Its still niggles though because I wonder who is paying top dollar for the deck I mention when it will need a full check over anyway.

It just cheeses me off to see a dealer take these products beyond a reasonable price for what they are. The housing market springs to mind

When I have seen them go for £40 it rubs salt in that I didnt buy earlier

I'm Martin.

Some people would rather buy used from a dealer than from a private seller, even if that means paying a 50 percent premiuim. They like the implied peace of mind. Same sort of people to whom it is very easy to sell insurance to. There are quite a lot of them about.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Ian.

A dealer listing something on ebay at a perceived unrealistic price combined with someone being perceived as a mug for paying that price is simply one perception of actual market value of that item at that time.

I'm paul.

Nobody is being forced to buy anything, simples. As has been said eBay finds the market price, providing stuff is selling at those prices. When I decide to move something on, I sell at a sensible price and it goes quickly. It's easy to then think I could have got more, but then I may have it hanging around long enough to change my mind. I have two things for sale on lenco heaven, I'm sticking to my price even though there are no takers right now, but then I'm not bothered one way or the other.
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast