+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 35 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Words That Irritate You.

I'm Steve.

People saying 'definately' instead of 'definitely'. It's becoming so widespread, I can see OED adopting the revised spelling. Talk about the tail wagging the dog.

Also people who say 'Robin Reliant'. They'll be first against the wall when the revolution comes.

Oh and Liam Gallagher putting 'know what I mean' at the end of every sentence, makes my teeth itch.

I'm Rob.

Awesome...as in I have just bought a shit burger king, bite into and exclaim "Ohh that's awesome" ....or something equally as run of the mill...like catching a bus. No, it's not awesome in any way...it's distinctly average. And....Defiantly....for definitely.
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by HackneyRF View Post
    Guilty. My favourite is 'axe' instead of 'ask'
    I can understand why this irritates you but the truth is that this is a legitimate alternative spelling and pronunciation of "ask"!

https://www.npr.org/sections/codeswi...-some-still-do

Geoff

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    I can understand why this irritates you but the truth is that this is a legitimate alternative spelling and pronunciation of "ask"!

Geoff
    Don't agree.

The word is written 'ask' and was never pronoounced 'ax' in this country when I was young.

I don't care what references are quoted. They are just trying to justify and excuse bad English. The linked article is from an American and they do not speak English 'English'!!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    People saying 'definately' instead of 'definitely'. It's becoming so widespread, I can see OED adopting the revised spelling. Talk about the tail wagging the dog.
    It should be a criminal offence to promote bastardised and corrupted English.

I'm Paul.

Oh, I’m just so Super Exited!

Super exited. What is that exactly?
    ~Paul~

I'm Loz.

Geoff
    Yes I've read around the subject Geoff. Language changes over time. I'm happy with that. I've also never liked the name Skinner. Goodness knows why.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by HackneyRF View Post
    I've also never liked the name Skinner. Goodness knows why?
    Strange how 'Old English' names have that resonance to them. Like Butcher or Scullion or Shepherd or Farmer and the like. Each no doubt taken from the trade a family ancestor was in. Nothing demeaning about it. It's just the way it is and I find the origins and evolution of words and names interesting.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Don't agree.

The word is written 'ask' and was never pronoounced 'ax' in this country when I was young.

I don't care what references are quoted. They are just trying to justify and excuse bad English. The linked article is from an American and they do not speak English 'English'!!
    If you investigated further you will see that the word that we are referring to in relation to the act of enquiring or demanding comes from Old English. Ask, aks, and ax are all legitimate forms of the word.

Geoff

I'm Geoff.

Ask, aks, and ax are all legitimate forms of the word.

Geoff
    Which do you use?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 35 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast