+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 35 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Words That Irritate You.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    They cost a lot more than a quid. Unless they have dropped in price recently. I had one about 10 years ago it was about £3.50 IIRC. Managed one mouthful, spat it out and binned the rest.

Frankly even if they are down to a quid now that's asking a fortune for the level of quality on offer.

Don't really like pies of any type, I don't like 'British Stodge' in general., probably because I grew up with it. Give me a good steak and chips any day.
    https://www.bmstores.co.uk/products/...ey-425g-292839

I'm Martin.

I bought mine from Sainsburys, that must have been were I went wrong.

Anyway like I said still a rip-off at a quid. There's not really much point in inedible food.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Anto.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    As a teenager I had a Saturday job in the local butchers. Part of my work was making the sausages. Nothing off went it to the mix, but it did include every bit of hairy dried out stringy off-cuts that were removed to make the joints presentable for sale. Part of the wages included 2lb of sausages, but these were a special staff mix and very tasty too!

Geoff
    We kept a few pigs yrs ago , and my Ma woul make some home made sausage which , although they did contain a bit of fattier stuff , they were all meat.
    Most of the cheap sausages now , are bread rusk pepper , and mechanically reclaimed meat with lots of fat in it. Shyte
    I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work

I'm Geoff.

I bought mine from Sainsburys, that must have been were I went wrong.

Anyway like I said still a rip-off at a quid. There's not really much point in inedible food.
    I would say "inedible" is a bit harsh: unappetising, yes! The only reason I knew these were cheap is that I see a lot of local families buying these in bulk. There is a lot of poverty where I live, and I wonder whether there are many other sources of protein as cheap as this. I last had one as a kid, when they were popular as early ready meals. With some creamy mash and peas, and a liberal springly of worcester sauce or tabasco, I am guessing they are OK.

Geoff

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Oddball View Post
    Most of the cheap sausages now , are bread rusk pepper , and mechanically reclaimed meat with lots of fat in it. Shyte
    ...which is why I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole! Also, like anything else in life, not all butchers are equal

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

As a teenager I had a Saturday job in the local butchers. Part of my work was making the sausages. Nothing off went it to the mix, but it did include every bit of hairy dried out stringy off-cuts that were removed to make the joints presentable for sale. Part of the wages included 2lb of sausages, but these were a special staff mix and very tasty too!
    As I just said, not all butchers are equal. I only buy regularly from ones where the quality of the products has been tried, tested and approved (by me)!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Oddball View Post
    We kept a few pigs yrs ago , and my Ma woul make some home made sausage which , although they did contain a bit of fattier stuff , they were all meat.
    In the case of the standard sausages, I was the human meat reclaimer, armed with a shears and boning knife. The staff sausages I referred to had lots of herbs and spices. However, some fat is necessary for even cooking and flavour, and rusk a good binding agent.

Geoff

Don't really like pies of any type, I don't like 'British Stodge' in general., probably because I grew up with it. Give me a good steak and chips any day.
    Wow, now that's surprising!

Me neither, as it's simply not the food culture I was brought up with. It's interesting, however, that you shun it now and seek other styles of food, rather than continue eating it, as is evidenced by other 'Brits' on the food threads here.

That said, there's nothing wrong with "British stodge", done well - just not every day of the week! Btw, do you ever eat anything else but steak and chips?

Marco.

P.S I bet you'd love Del's home-made steak pie. Trust me, it's up there with her curries!
    Main System

The staff sausages I referred to had lots of herbs and spices. However, some fat is necessary for even cooking and flavour, and rusk a good binding agent.
    Yup, I usually go for ones containing around 85% pure meat, which I find is the idea balance between texture and flavour.

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    As I just said, not all butchers are equal. I only buy regularly from ones where the quality of the products has been tried, tested and approved (by me)!

Marco.
    I am surprised that more people do not make their own sausages. A table-top meat mincer is inexpensive but effective and you can buy a complete kit relatively cheaply. It is not difficult to buy natural or synthetic skins. This was you can choose whatever meat or other ingredients you want. The sausage platt takes a while to master, but it is easy enough to twist off and snip each sausage if that is easier.

Geoff

Geoff

+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 35 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast