+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Biggest bang for the buck/pound/euro, top to bottom

I'm Brook.

I think it largely depends on what level of sound you are aiming for. There are many good value for money components that if chosen wisely would make a decent sound together for not a lot of money. However, if you are aiming rather higher you need to think a little differently. For me, as a vinyl lover, the turntable has to be first, making sure it has a good motor to turn at the right speed, & a good bearing for consistency. This then has to be partnered with a good arm, and if these are well chosen then even a budget cartridge will sound good, and can be improved upon later is money is tight. I have always thought that the phono stage is very important, in fact I spent more money on my PS than I did my amp, and went through about 8 of them in just over a year before I settled on what I have now. It is extremely flexible as well which means in my case i don't need a separate preamp, and has variable gain so I can match it with pretty much any cartridge I want.
    I have found, from personal experience, and especially if you buy used, the amp to matter not so much. I have tried many in my system recently and while none have bettered my own, to my ears at least, the sound from all of them was easily good enough to live with if I had to. Lastly the speakers, but certainly not last in importance, and again I have tried many in a short space of time, they not only have to sound good in their own right, and with your gear, but I would say interaction with the room is the biggest thing to get right.

I'm charles.

1. Speakers
    2. Room/furnishings
    3. Everything else

I'm nigel.

Kids
    Wife
    Music....

Everything else is cosmetic.

I'm Martin.

Kids and wife are just foo. Total waste of money.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

A pair of brand new boxed Tannoy Eatons for £200.

They were wicked!! Best bang for the buck you could ask for.

Mind you, it was 1978 and that's how much they were new anyway.

I'm Steve.

Ears, definitely ears. If they're not working right, everything else is pointless.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Ears, definitely ears. If they're not working right, everything else is pointless.
    Mood, definitely mood. If the mood is not there, everything else is pointless
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by bumpy View Post
    Its a bit of a contradiction with wall mount shelf at #2 and component isolation at #14. They are very similar in benefit.
    I'd think that ill effects of mechanical noise are much harder on the mechanical machinery (turntable/motor/platter/tonearm/cartridge/stylus/cantilever) than they are on the components that have no moving parts.
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Dennis.

It is a AVI S2000 with an add on Series (something) MC4 I believe.
    (I can't ATM get access to it to check. because of the lounge refurbish).
    It was their last, reviewed in the April '02 Hi-Fi News.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    It is a AVI S2000 with an add on Series (something) MC4 I believe.
    (I can't ATM get access to it to check. because of the lounge refurbish).
    It was their last, reviewed in the April '02 Hi-Fi News.
    That's a pretty serious player. You could get something that sounds different, but something that sounds better might be difficult. There's no intrinsic sound quality advantage in streaming over using a CD player. A streaming set-up may sound better, or worse on an individual comparison with a particular cd player, there's no hard and fast rule though.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast