+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mono cartridges

I'm Ked.

Default Mono cartridges

Hi, who has had experience with multiple mono carts on mono classical recordings?

Please state impressions.

Also, is the SPU mono similar to SPU stereo in sound signature - full bodied tone, flowing, less highs? and are the Lyra monos similar to their stereo carts?

I have heard the Miya zero in a couple of systems and like it. It does not sound similar to the madake

I'm James.

PM Tom, he's your man for this I think.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazid View Post
    PM Tom, he's your man for this I think.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk
    Seconded!
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm David.

I was hoping Tom might reply to this thread as it is something I am interested in myself.

David Whistance

I'm Andrew.

Send him a PM
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Ked.

Did

I'm Adam.

Hopefully any impressions won't be kept to pm, always nice to read about experiences on a thread.
    Tom is incredibly helpful and generous with his knowledge of such things.
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

montesquieu Guest

Sorry I didn't see this thread I've just been pointed to it.

The Zero is a superb cartridge and I thoroughly recommend it ... it's available in 0.7 mil for later mono and reissues, as well as 1.0 for the earlier stuff.

Ortofon don't really have a mono SPU that's 100% ideal later mono/reissues as all their monos have larger tips (1.0/.25 which is the right size for microgroove, or 2.5/.65 for 1950s 78s - it's a bit too narrow for earlier 78s). The CG series are like the Miyajimas and only have horizontal compliance. The Mono GM Mk II is still true mono but has vertical compliance as well.

The AT-Mono3 is superb and quite a bit cheaper with a 0.7 mil tip for reissues.

Essential on mono classical I think ... however good the stereo cartridge is it's just not up there with proper mono reproduction when it comes to a mono pressing.

Some vintage monos are pretty good, I have a GE VRII that works very well though it's hard to get high quality tips. Heavy tracking weight though.

I've posted a lot on mono cartridges over the years, a quick google turned up a few threads

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...ht=microgroove

I'm Ked.

Thanks. So what is the sonic difference between the zero and the bambooed premium (or the 0.7 and the 1) on the older records

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo View Post
    Thanks. So what is the sonic difference between the zero and the bambooed premium (or the 0.7 and the 1) on the older records
    As I wrote in one of the posts above, 1.0 sounds better on the older records, the 0.7 on the more modern ones. They are pretty different cartridges anyway, the Zero is more detailed and power output, the 1.0 more robust and higher output. This suits the characteristics of later mono vs microgroove, the latter having a more limited frequency range and the groove being u-shaped rather than v-shaped. I love the character of the bamboo'd Premium 1.0 and think it suits early mono very well but it does sound quite different to a Zero. Both are quite SPU-ish in their full body, full soundstage width presentation.

Petrat has Zero 1.0 and 0.7 monos so he might have a view about direct comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo View Post

Also, is the SPU mono similar to SPU stereo in sound signature - full bodied tone, flowing, less highs? and are the Lyra monos similar to their stereo carts?
    Just to answer these questions - SPU mono and stereo have very similar character as you'd expect. I've never had any problem with SPU highs, they are quite natural (as opposed to screechy and exaggerated as in some 'hifi' cartidges with their treble lift designed to make you think they are super-detailed).

I had a Lyra Dorian mono and did like that very much, though it suits very different arms than you'd use for a Miyajima or SPU. Yes very similar to the stereo Lyras, interestingly they use two generators turned to operate only in the horizontal, different to the single generator of the Miyajimas or CG SPUs.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast