+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: wam show 2018

I'm mark.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    Oh, who took the Paradise and what other equipment was it partnered with? Also, how did it sound?
    Mickey's Paradise and 301

IMG_4169 by mark leatherland, on Flickr

My stock photo, it had Koetsu Rosewood Sig on the day.

IMG_3965 by mark leatherland, on Flickr

We had a difference of opinion vs Vivant, but it was one rushed track and far from ideal conditions. Didn't realise what a rats nest mess I'd created till I've looked at the pics today.

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by DiveDeepDog View Post
    Mickey's Paradise and 301

IMG_4169 by mark leatherland, on Flickr

My stock photo, it had Koetsu Rosewood Sig on the day.

IMG_3965 by mark leatherland, on Flickr

We had a difference of opinion vs Vivant, but it was one rushed track and far from ideal conditions. Didn't realise what a rats nest mess I'd created till I've looked at the pics today.
    I think yours was my favourite room amidst some very stiff competition. Changed my mind about subwoofers too. Always thought they were just for adding loads of bass until I heard what a subtle but effective addition they were in your system.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I'm Nial.

Three hundred visitors was up from last year at Scalford by 20 or 30, so even without the influence of the weather has to be seen as a success. Had there not been the snow it would have been substantially higher. The organisers were very happy with three hundred attendees.

The new venue?
    It's a hi fi truism that the most important component in a system is the room - well, all exhibitors got a free upgrade in that case because no question but the Kegworth rooms sounded substantially better than Scalford. Much less sound leakage, more solid construction, and proportions that seemed to ameliorate boominess. I had a couple of room-sat hours to get round the show, and I tried to see and hear every room. Even though I probably didn't quite achieve this target, I thought the average overall SQ that I got to hear was far ahead of Scalford. Not to say there weren't some exceptional sounds over the years at Scalford, but many people had to battle against lousy rooms, and didn't achieve their systems potential.

Visitors were appreciative, knowledgeable and enthusiastic. And came armed with music, at least a surprising number did. And MOR AOR it was not - some really eclectic things were handed me to play, a few good discoveries made, which of course makes it all worth while.

I had a great time - is that coming over?

Next year? Already making plans....different system though. Thinking I'll put together something around the Urei 809s next year, which are effectively a time aligned dual concentric JBL 4425 studio monitor, and less than half the size of the 811As I took this year.

I'm Phil.

thanks for all the pics , another exhibitor sadly missed was ians1 who used to exhibit every year at scalford . a tragic loss at a very very young age .

i think folks are still enjoying his kit somewhere including some massive horning ultimates
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    Oh, who took the Paradise and what other equipment was it partnered with? Also, how did it sound?
    It was in the DiveDeepDog room as you will just have seen. The following is purely my own opinion and is said to promote wider discussion rather than to say any one approach is better, it all depends on ones own tastes, hearing, and I think to a lesser degree what you have already experienced.

Differences were small but at the top level of performance that is the way it ought to be. It might be considered stereotypical but to me the valve Vivant stage sounded more 'organic' than the 'sterile' solid state Paradise. It is difficult to describe very minor differences, the Paradise is a stunning stage.
    I also thought the Vivant had more depth and 'air' to the presentation.

Amazing sound but as always YMMV.

I'm Simon.

Valve, organic, solid state, sterile. Yes, very stereotypical.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm mark.

-
    Last edited by DiveDeepDog; 20-03-2018 at 02:02. Reason: already too much phono smoke

I'm Martin.

Got there late,but very impressed with venue and parking was a joy
    Where else can you go to hear so many real world systems for £12 squids??
    My highlights were a pair of Ushers on the end of MB845 monos and the Audionote Otto SE and HE
    That guy had a pretty good turntable with an AN 2 arm and an AN IQ which sounded sublime........buggered if I can remember what TT it was
    Any one know?
    Lumley Heliosphere Audiomods 5
    Voyd Valdi AN Arm 1 V2 and Denon MC
    Audiomeca Talisman Highly Modded
    Audiomeca Kreatura &,SW1X DAC1
    Hovland HP200 MC
    Hovland Radia
    Ming Da 805 monos
    Magnum Dynalab Etude, RWA Cassabria + LCD 3
    Wilson Benesch Actors
    Cables by Cardas, Hovland G3 and Yter

I'm mark.

Quote Originally Posted by ovlov854 View Post
    My highlights were a pair of Ushers on the end of MB845 monos and the Audionote Otto SE and HE
    That guy had a pretty good turntable with an AN 2 arm and an AN IQ which sounded sublime........buggered if I can remember what TT it was
    Any one know?
    Steve & Robins room? TT is The Source, I refurbed it a couple of years ago, Steve's daily ride is a 1210 with AN2 arm

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by ovlov854 View Post
    Any one know?
    I think he said there aren't many of them about because they were usurped at the time by a more popular model.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast