+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hello! And thought I'd start with this...

I'm Rhys.

Default Hello! And thought I'd start with this...

Hello all,

I've joined this site due to a real love of music coupled with the passion of the technology that enables its reproduction.

Currently my system is modest and modern:

TIDAL Hifi -> Macbook Pro -> Musical Fidelity V-Link II USB-SPDIF Converter -> Chord Optichord -> Rega DAC -> Mark Grant HD1000 Interconnects -> Rega Brio-R -> Mark Grant High Purity Copper Speaker Cable -> KEF LS50s

Currently, I'm interested in vintage hi-fi and am due to collect a Cyrus 2 (06 Variation) along with a PSX that I've recently purchased. I really like the sound of the Rega and Kef LS50s, its detailed, warm, engaging and a joy to listen to. The Rega has enough grunt despite it only being 50wpc to drive the LS50s at sensible volumes. When I want to crank it up its loud enough at the 11 o'clock mark and it doesn't break a sweat, I have no doubt it could be pushed further! It's brilliant and I'd highly recommend the setup.

I bought the Cyrus gear with the intention of eventually having a second system (hopefully with some transmission line floor-standers) but I don't yet have any other gear to complete a setup, essentially I'm taking my time. I was attracted by the idea of the Cyrus 2 as it's such a classic amp, well designed and it also allows me to modify this with new capacitors with the hope to go beyond its original spec. With the addition of the PSX, it was just too interesting to pass the opportunity up.

Temporarily, I'll be substituting the Brio-r for the Cyrus after I pick it up and get used to its sound for a month or so before getting it recapped/overhauled. Knowing the Cyrus 2 + PSX has more power on tap and is fast, clean and supposed to have excellent imaging, it'll be very interesting to listen to how the LS50s react and represent the music.

I'll be providing (fairly) frequent updates.

Many thanks,

Rtb8

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Welcome to AoS Rhys,

Nice introduction! What are your tastes in music?

Enjoy the Forum
    Barry
    Barry

I'm Rhys.

Cheers Barry

I'm Rhys.

Mainly rock, indie, electronica, some classical tracks. I try to listen to quality recordings where possible and that's why I've subscribed to Tidal Hifi which I can get tracks up to 24bit 96khz in MQA. It's fantastic.

I'm Geoff.

Hi Rhys. Welcome to AOS.

I'm sure you'll find plenty to interest you here, there are sections covering every aspect of Hi-Fi and there's music chat too.

Feel free to get involved and contribute to any threads that interest you.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.

I'm Rhys.

Thanks Geoff

I'm Rhys.

!!!UPDATE!!!

I picked up the Cyrus 2 today along with the PSX, I got it home and substituted the Rega Brio-r for it... I'm speechless, this thing grips the KEF LS50s by the scruff of their necks, it's so detailed and even though a lot of people say that the Cyrus 2 lacked bass, it actually provided more than the Rega. However I'm putting this down to the better power supply of the Cyrus, it just control the speakers better so it more impactful I guess. So...better bass (overall) less muddy than the Rega and certainly more definition. On par with the Rega in terms of mid range, the Rega more musical of the two amps, the Cyrus more detailed. Both have pleasing yet different qualities here in the mids. The upper range the Rega is certainly smoother and the Cyrus more crisp but not sibilant. Both good, however I think the Cyrus is actually getting better performance out if the LS50s than the Rega which is really interesting but not unexpected. The really exciting prospect is that the Cyrus is 32 years old and it'll very likely need most of it's alu-film capacitors replacing. So what then.....it'll probably sound even better.

It just goes to show that sometimes newer doesn't necessarily mean better. Different perhaps at the stage I'm at pre-recap but damn I can't wait to send this thing to the workshop for it to be serviced and recapped!

I'm James.

Hi Rhys and welcome to AOS. I have heard all the equipment you have and have indeed owned some of it so I know what it all sounds like but not altogether! However I expect is sounds very good indeed. Nice choice of modern equipment and I am sure you will find plenty of Rega fans on here.

I compared the LS50's to the Blades once. That was fun.

I'm Rhys.

I bet it was, what was your opinion between the two?

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Rtb8 View Post
    I bet it was, what was your opinion between the two?
    Haha...well you would be very surprised. Obviously the Blades have massive heft, scale and bass but the LS50 sounded very good indeed. Lets put it this way they did not sound a 20th of the price. Imaging,top end and midrange information sounded close. It was just the scale and lower octaves that set them apart.

+ Reply to Thread