+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: New raspberry pi3 b+

I'm Clive.

I use a 1TB drive and find powering it individually via a Y usb lead brings a big lift in resolution. Possibly the drive was pumping noise along the power lines or the puny power traces on the Pi pcb were an issue.
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
    Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post
    I use a 1TB drive and find powering it individually via a Y usb lead brings a big lift in resolution. Possibly the drive was pumping noise along the power lines or the puny power traces on the Pi pcb were an issue.
    Interesting, Clive... Perhaps that's why I found powering my twin Seagate 3TB NAS drives with a dedicated linear PSU [built by Duncan] made a massive difference to the sound I get from my RPi, see here:

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...PSU+hard+drive

You should try it, if you think that what you did made a difference, as it essentially takes the concept a few stages further!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Interesting, Clive... Perhaps that's why I found powering my twin Seagate 3TB NAS drives with a dedicated linear PSU [built by Duncan] made a massive difference to the sound I get from my RPi, see here:

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...PSU+hard+drive

You should try it, if you think that what you did made a difference, as it essentially takes the concept a few stages further!

Marco.
    Hi Marco, some day I'll compare NAS to my self-powered USB approach. Ethernet connection may well be better though I suspect I've cured most of the USB ills with the self powered drive.

BTW I had to prevent the HDD from feeding power the Pi, I used a solid connector with the +5V contact removed. It may be though that I end up moving to the Allo Sparky from the Pi as these seem to give better results but are more hassle to setup.
    Last edited by Clive; 06-04-2018 at 15:07.
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
    Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

I'm Grant.

the pi hub can block the return too, used to use one
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by garrard View Post
    I use a small 1TB hard drive with my Pi2B. I find the cost of an SSD still hard to justify when the normal hard drive works well, holds heaps of music, is powered from the Pi and never causes dropouts - and is so cheap.
    I found that powering my USB hard drive from a USB hub, rather than the Pi, gave a significant improvement in SQ.

I'm Ken.

Powering your SSD/HD separately with a good PSU, or any other attached USB device for that matter and disconnecting the 5v at pin 1 on the USB data lead is a very good idea.

For those not good with DIY and soldering of such small items, SBOOSTER (makers of the PSU's) do a USB pass through adapter that has pin 1 disconnected. Their example use is with a DAC, but it will work the same. They charge 21.50 Euros for it though, which is a bit of a cheek. Here: https://www.sbooster.com/sbooster-tweaks/
    I don't know if it has any other components inside, I suspect not.

Must get round to building a rpi, had one on the drg board for a while - Single box/RPi/Linear PSU/1TB SSD, just not had the time.

I'm Alastair.

Quote Originally Posted by eldarvanyar View Post
    Hi,
    Can you say a bit more about your set up?
    Which SSD you are using?
    How many albums will it hold?
    File types - FLAC, WAV, IFF etc
    Do you experience any drop outs on playback?
    Also does the SSD need it’s own psu as I think the pi is unable to power it from its usb. I have a pi2B
    What DAC are you using?
    I have built a Vortexbox which uses LMS but I think the pi with SSD negates a lot of the issues with a network.
    Sorry for so many questions
    Thanks
    Lee
    Hi Lee,

Its quite simple. I have a 500GB Samsung Evo 850 SSD. Its big enough to hold over 9000 tracks as WAV and roughly double that as FLAC. It is powered directly from the RPI3 which is battery powered. I tried powering the SSD from a separate battery but to my ears it sounded worse. There are no drop-outs on playback which I did have occasionally when streaming over the WiFi. I am using the Caiman SEG (12V battery powered). I hope that helps!
    Cheers

Alastair

RPI4/PI2AES running PiCorePlayer/LMS-> AQ Carbon AES -> Topping D90 DAC-> Khozomo Passive Pre-Amp -> 4x Temple Audio Monoblocks powered by 2xLiFePO batteries->Van Damme Black Bi-Wired to B&W 804 Nautilus and Sommer Carbokab 225 Interconnects

I'm Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by Alp View Post
    Hi Lee,

Its quite simple. I have a 500GB Samsung Evo 850 SSD. Its big enough to hold over 9000 tracks as WAV and roughly double that as FLAC. It is powered directly from the RPI3 which is battery powered. I tried powering the SSD from a separate battery but to my ears it sounded worse. There are no drop-outs on playback which I did have occasionally when streaming over the WiFi. I am using the Caiman SEG (12V battery powered). I hope that helps!
    Thanks for taking the time to reply I shall order the Samsung SSD

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    It’s about the music
    70s Retro Yamaha YP800TT, CA1000Mk2, CT1010

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234