+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Frugel horn. Would somebody care to explain the design?

I'm Geoff.

Default Frugel horn. Would somebody care to explain the design?

The Frugel Horn is a speaker that keeps cropping up here, but it's also one that has a few questions around it's design and implementation.

Pictures of these I've seen here show it situated and used as a free standing speaker, yet I understand it is a corner design. In other words, I assume it should be positioned tight into a corner for wall reinforcement from the corner angles, which would form the horn flare/termination. This suggests to me that nobody is using them correctly.

Also, the cabinet starts off as what appears to be a quarter wave type horn, only to feed the rear exit through a small vent more suited to a reflex design, which I suspect is what it is in reality (Castle used a similar design). It certainly is not a true quarter wave horn.

Is anybody able to shed some light?

Last edited by walpurgis; 14-03-2018 at 09:02.

Bigman80 Guest

I've been offered a loan of a pair of these. I hadn't picked up that they should be used in a corner either, probably due to ignorance lol.

Does the siting have a massive effect on these in your theoretical opinion, Geoff?

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Does the siting have a massive effect on these in your theoretical opinion, Geoff?
    If, as stated on the website, they are corner horns, then the correct siting is crucial. A corner horn will not work properly otherwise. Bass depth and impact will suffer.

Bigman80 Guest

Bit pointless borrowing them then

Cheers Geoff. PS, I'm harassing Bob about Tannoys lol

I'm Kevin.

MIne work fine not far from the back wall. I don’t feel that they lack bass.
    Electric Beach have also developed something to sit behind the speaker to aid with positioning.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    BTW, is that drawing the latest version? There seems to have been various different incarnations.
    Who knows? And, yes I know.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    MIne work fine not far from the back wall. I don’t feel that they lack bass.
    Electric Beach have also developed something to sit behind the speaker to aid with positioning.
    If you're happy thats all that matters.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

My FH3s work fine up against a solid (brick) wall.
    The flare to the rear of the cabinet is an extension of the horn.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Geoff.

The point seems to be getting missed. Users may like the results they are getting, but has anybody tried them tightly into corners? That would seem to be the intended way to use them.

And, there are no replies yet about the cabinet design. Is it even a true horn?

I'm Martin.

Small single range driver, upside: no crossover, no phase shift, direct coupling with the amplifier.
    Downside: no bass, unless you count lower mids as bass (I know lot of people do), limited HF response.

I don't think sticking them in a corner would really help unless you are a fan of the Audionote comedy mid-bass hump.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast