+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Frugel horn. Would somebody care to explain the design?

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Try playing something with really low bass (below 40hz) and see how well they manage. You can't just get rid of the cabinet and have no downsides.
    What makes you think that we've not already been there and done it?
    Put it this way - we weren't playing string quartets. At some point the Blade Runner CD was spinning.
    The rest was mild stuff, such as Porcupine Tree's Deadwing, so no end action whatsoever
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Geoff.

Due to reflection effects the bass from OB speakers can sometimes follow a longer path in a given room and deeper bass fundamentals can be perceived.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    What makes you think that we've not already been there and done it?
    Put it this way - we weren't playing string quartets. At some point the Blade Runner CD was spinning.
    The rest was mild stuff, such as Porcupine Tree's Deadwing, so no end action whatsoever
    And then play the same recording on a comparable box speaker? It just isn't the same and I guess that's why there are very few commercial open baffles.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Marc.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    It was the other end of the price spectrum that I was considering - something like the old Auratone speakers for near-field monitoring, or just checking what a recording will sound like on a telly.
    A "posh" single driver might be interesting too, though.
    http://johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewto...46dba562225304

I have a pair in the studio and I love them, they sound 'horrible' but in a 'horribly revealing' way. No bass and a tiny (but delicious) stereo sweet spot, for untangling the mid-range in a busy recording nothing beats them.

The guy who designed them knows his stuff too: http://barefootsound.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    And then play the same recording on a comparable box speaker? It just isn't the same and I guess that's why there are very few commercial open baffles.
    The only reason why it's difficult to find commercially made baffles is because they're so frigging big that most folks can't or won't give 'em house room.
    Which means that the market for them is so small it's not worth anyone supplying it.
    It has sod all to do with sound quality on any level.
    Chris

montesquieu Guest

I had a very similar pair of horns to Frugelhorns (rear vented, intended for corner reinvorcement,) based on Fostex 6in drivers.

There were ok but compromised (uneven, honky, no bass was the worst of it). First step was some tweeters/supertweeters coming in at 8khz or so as that's where the 'full range' (hah!) drivers started to tail off.

Then a pair of subs to do the below 60hz business as there was no bass really worth calling bass.

So what you end up is bolting together a bag of bits that aren't actually a proper speaker design, in order to address the basic deficiencies.

Fun to play with but a dead end. Conclusion: it's better just to go and get some proper speakers, designed by a proper designer, and be done with it.

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    Conclusion: it's better just to go and get some proper speakers, designed by a proper designer, and be done with it.
    Kind of my thoughts Tom

We made up a nice pair of Voigt pipes using some Fostex drivers and while they sounded nice for the little outlay I didn't keep them very long as other 'commercial' speakers were so much better sounding

They looked a bit like these:

Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm no great fan of the Fostex wide band stuff either.
    The most annoying thing for me is the 7kHz hump in the response, but the lack of bass, and lumpy response don't help.
    Chris

I'm matt.

Years ago I made some Fostex bipoles from plans over at diyaudio. They were easily the worst speaker I've ever heard (bright, shouty upper mids and no bass) but the Frugels with Mark audio drivers get a lot of good feedback, so I wouldn't judge without hearing them.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    The only reason why it's difficult to find commercially made baffles is because they're so frigging big that most folks can't or won't give 'em house room.
    Which means that the market for them is so small it's not worth anyone supplying it.
    It has sod all to do with sound quality on any level.
    If that were true there would be no large box speakers on the market. But there are hundreds. I agree that open baffles have some advantages, but they also have disadvantages. Like any design of speaker they are a set of compromises.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast