+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Frugel horn. Would somebody care to explain the design?

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    Maybe I'm prejudiced against full range drivers after hearing some horrible examples with very "shouty" treble
    A number of Fostex wideband drivers have a rather unpleasant 7kHz hump.
    Notice I didn't use the term "full range".
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Ahh, ok, I wasnt sure as you only posted the part of the cab with the drive unit in!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    Frugel Horn FH3.

"Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

I'm Geoff.

I'm tempted to try some simple single-driver speakers, just to satisfy my curiosity
    If you really want to push the boat out. Look at Feastrex full range drivers.

http://lotusgroupusa.com/Feastrex1.htm

The prices are eyewatering!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    This does seem to be "one of those" threads where folks who haven't heard the items under consideration
    Well I can't speak for anyone else but I have.

Not putting the boot in either but these speakers make what I personally consider to be unacceptable compromises. Happy to accept that for someone else that will not be the case. If someone is going to get all emotionally hurt over a discussion on speaker topology they are probably better off staying away from the internet, or maybe even life in general.

Nobody seems to be upset anyway, unless I missed that bit.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

But what the door for?
    I believe that's where the music pixies are put inside .

Actually, I think it's the hatch for removing the main driver.

I'm Hugh.

This does seem to be "one of those" threads where folks who haven't heard the items under consideration are having great fun putting the boot in.
    Not really in the spirit of AOS, imo.

I've not heard Frugelhorns but some folks whose ears I have a reasonable degree of trust in say they are very good.
    Heard a pair at Scalford a few years ago and they sounded pretty good to me. That was in a largish room, nowhere near the corners

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    And yes, I'm not a fan of those Audionote speakers and the price is ludicrous for what they are.
    That's reassuring. I always wondered if it was just me that didn't 'get' them.

I'm Geoff.

A "posh" single driver might be interesting too, though.
    There are some beautifully made full range drivers available from Chinese manufacturers (I have a couple of pairs).

These have been tempting me: https://de.aliexpress.com/item/WANBO...OrigTitle=true

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

This does seem to be "one of those" threads where folks who haven't heard the items under consideration are having great fun putting the boot in.
    Not really in the spirit of AOS, imo.

I've not heard Frugelhorns but some folks whose ears I have a reasonable degree of trust in say they are very good.
    The thing to bear in mind is that the Frugel Horn thing does not have a single iteration - if all I had heard was FH3s with Fostex FE-126 drivers I'd have quite a low opinion of them.

Mine originally had Mark Audio CHP-70 drivers in them, and the drivers weren't great with leading edge information. The tweeter helper came about because of the problem.
    With the tweeter helpers in use the leading edge information came back, and as is often the case, the bass became better defined and timed better.
    The speakers boogied like their very existence depended on it.

The drivers were switched out for Mark Audio Alpair 7.3, and one thing was immediately apparent.
    The midband of the Alpair 7.3s is wonderful and very detailed.
    The higher frequencies and leading edge information was superior to the CHP-70s too, but after a fairly short while I realised there was a frequency response falloff that made everything sound a bit too cuddly and nice.
    The tweeter helpers were pressed back into action, and the problem went away again, with gains at the other end of the frequency band an added bonus.

The long and short of it is that someone who makes the comment that they've heard FH3s and didn't particularly like 'em is likely to have heard just one set of drivers, and there are quite a number of different variants that they haven't heard.
    The definitive comment on performance needs to be taken with more than just a pinch of salt.

If I see FH3s with a single driver I stay away - my experience is that not all drivers are equal, some are much better that others, and the top end usually needs sorting.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Some info here Geoff if you haven’t seen it already-

http://www.frugal-horn.com/FH3.html
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Bit pointless borrowing them then

Cheers Geoff. PS, I'm harassing Bob about Tannoys lol
    Harass away Oliver, you will hear nothing but praise for them from me, but then I think Geoff is also an advocate for them as well.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast