+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526

Thread: How many folk now use streaming and have sold all their other audio equipment?

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    If technology had developed to the point at which we needed no physical equipment, and in a room of guests could just 'think' of a track and will it to replay perfectly to the guests, how would you feel about that?

I suppose, given the current zeitgeist, there would be a risk that everyone would want to do so and a competitive noise would result.
    even if everyone took their turn and chaos was avoided, that concept sounds like hell and I hope I'm dead before that happens, then it wouldn't happen at my place anyhow. Someone commented that ripping to hard drives and accessing seems empty. I agree with that and not all but some that have turned to streaming seem to indicate that something is missing but are in denial. Whatever your preference let's all enjoy the music. If I could buy all the music I like on vinyl I wouldn't use Spotify for anything other than finding new music. When I've visited fellow music lovers and the music has been accessed via a phone or tablet even into a top notch set up I've not really been all that impressed. Maybe as Jerry said, vinyl is coloured,if so bring it on I love it.
    Last edited by paulf-2007; 06-04-2018 at 16:04.
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    inclined to agree. I was probably more avid with my records when I only had a handful. Appreciated them more too. But, times have changed and I, alas have too, but I often hanker for those days again. Maybe I should pull out 20 or so and sell the rest.
    Compared to many I only have a handful of records that I cherish, there's not all that many records that I would spend 40 or £50 on a half speed mastered copy. Spotify does for when I'm not settled down for a good session, cd doesn't get much of a look in but having said that I just bought two CDs
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm paul.

Of course not everyone wants to dissect music. I know I don't.

What I liked about only having a small collection was the lack of temptation to chop and change which with introduction of cd and now streaming, is now just too easy.
    So. Yes I think I enjoyed my records more when I had less choice. Think tv was similar
    i said something similar in another thread and got slagged off, not that it bothered me one bit.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by paulf-2007 View Post
    i said something similar in another thread and got slagged off, not that it bothered me one bit.
    Not slagged off? Shocking lol.. ive got a bigger repertoire of music now i stream and fast access to it. Vinyl wise i guess ive too much and find it difficult to quickly find and play. Being disabled these days doesnt help tho... it wouldnt worry me unduly if i sold it all tho. Dont think i will tho
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    Nah. It just sounds better.
    Although we have different opinions about China in our recent messaging, I'm with you on this Tom.

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    Yes, it can sound better, but at a cost much higher than for a digital system. Despite claims to the contrary, only a small proportion of new music makes it to vinyl, so as a technology it is fine if you are content with limited new content.

Although, sound quality is a primary issue, one cannot discount the convenience aspects of vinyl, not least the storage problems of a large collection, with which I am very familiar.

Geoff
    its just as well much of it doesn't make it on to vinyl as much of it will be forgotten as quickly as the file gets deleted.

I'm paul.

jriver is a full program for ripping, storing, filing and playing, plus it can be used as a server. great value too and very customizable, if thats a word. lol
    has a very decent ipad remote app too.
    IT is a word now Grant, ahh so jriver is not for me, I have no interest or need for storing vast amounts of music that may be a faff to access if not done right. I have a core of probably 40 vinyl lp's I play regularly and many cd's I don't play. Spotify is for listening to individual tracks from albums I don't think are worth buying and finding new music.
    Last edited by paulf-2007; 08-04-2018 at 08:41.

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by paulf-2007 View Post
    Maybe as Jerry said, vinyl is coloured,if so bring it on I love it.
    Well, I'm not sure I've ever said that vinyl is coloured, but I have commented on the substantial differences in presentation between different decks, cartridges, phono stages etc. They can't all be right, therefore all but one (at best) is wrong - i.e. coloured.
    But, yeah, if you like it, choose your own preferred version of colouration by careful selection of gear and fillyer boots!

But as a classical music lover, it just doesn't work for me as a viable medium when there are noiseless alternatives available.
    Streaming rules.

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Well, I'm not sure I've ever said that vinyl is coloured, but I have commented on the substantial differences in presentation between different decks, cartridges, phono stages etc. They can't all be right, therefore all but one (at best) is wrong - i.e. coloured.
    But, yeah, if you like it, choose your own preferred version of colouration by careful selection of gear and fillyer boots!

But as a classical music lover, it just doesn't work for me as a viable medium when there are noiseless alternatives available.
    Streaming rules.
    well there you are, misquoted as usual, it's easy to see how these discussions get skewed.
    I agree about the quiet passages, but any vinyl that gets played at mine has to be silent where it should be or it has to go.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526