+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: How many folk now use streaming and have sold all their other audio equipment?

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by mikmas View Post
    Only if you wish to make it that. I can see no reason why the availability of music has any real impact on one's appreciation of its qualities. In fact I find that quite absurd and also more than a tad condescending - leaving aside the decidedly glib and patronising comments on 'youngsters' which quite frankly make my blood boil.
    A mere 70 years of age..... and it does it for me...... perhaps I’m just abnormal by your judgment

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

montesquieu Guest

Only if you wish to make it that. I can see no reason why the availability of music has any real impact on one's appreciation of its qualities. In fact I find that quite absurd and also more than a tad condescending - leaving aside the decidedly glib and patronising comments on 'youngsters' which quite frankly make my blood boil.
    Your blood can boil as much as it likes but it’s human nature (as well as the foundation of economics, which is surely only an attempt to codify human nature into patterns divined through observation) that value falls as supply rises and that infinite supply will have an obvious consequence.

I'm inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    Your blood can boil as much as it likes but it’s human nature (as well as the foundation of economics, which is surely only an attempt to codify human nature into patterns divined through observation) that value falls as supply rises and that infinite supply will have an obvious consequence.
    Odd belief system you subscribe to ....

Ah well, each to their own.

I'm Peter.

Tom,

I think you need chill out..... wise words indeed.

People like what we like...... it’s an individual world out there!!!

I'm inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by Boyse6748 View Post
    A mere 70 years of age..... and it does it for me...... perhaps I’m just abnormal by your judgment
    ?????

montesquieu Guest

Odd belief system you subscribe to ....

Ah well, each to their own.
    What’s odd about it? You visit people who have gone over to streaming and there they are, clicking about and jumping around, yes the buffet in front of them is enormous but so is the potential for indigestion.

Yes those of us who have established mature listening habits might well use the technology in a more focused way but the format itself does not encourage focused, repeat listening of the sort that leads to deeper musical understanding and I think this is apparent already in the playlist mentality so ubiquitous among the young.

(As it happens I have a 21 and a 19 year old both with pretty sophisticated tastes no chart rubbish thankfully but even my daughter an accomplished harpist has much less focus on getting to the bottom of music than I did, the medium itself impacts the experience I believe in many ways that are detrimental to serious listening).

I'm inactive.

What’s odd about it?
    Unless you are actually Methuselah, you were born into the age of radio and advanced mass production and distribution of music.

If you think about it for even a few seconds you should realise that your argument is doomed to fail, but please do proceed ....

montesquieu Guest

So what point are you trying to make ? You were praising effectively limitless accessibility of music. I argued that streaming has down sides, in particular for young people where the technology actively discourages focused listening (though us old farts can be butterfies with the iPad too). From what I can see your blood is apparently boiling away for some reason but you dont have an argument that this is not an issue.

The basic point about when something becomes effective free it loses value is, I think, indisputable. (And actually calculable in the amounts paid to artists for streamed plays vs what they used to get for an LP or CD sale).

I'm James.

You only have look at what happened with TV.

I'm Deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    I thought the question was "How many folk now use streaming . . . " ?

I think by now we all know you don't like it and it's clear you never will as you don't want to, that horse is thoroughly beaten to death
    Well, A “How many folk now use streaming....?” Isn’t the question the OP asked and B, even it it had been, I’m entitled to say ‘not me’ as anyone else.

You must be feeling very sensitive regarding criticism of streaming because because I’ve actually seldom commented on it, never mind ‘beating it to death’. It’s also entirely untrue that I don’t want to like streaming!
    Last edited by YNWaN; 18-03-2018 at 09:37.
    Account Deleted

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast