+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: How many folk now use streaming and have sold all their other audio equipment?

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel SE View Post
    For the people that dont have cd players...whats up with you?
    Nothing at all!

Why can't you get your head around ripping CDs to a server, and accessing it over a network?
    CDs are still the least expensive way of obtaining lossless music files, and as a result I buy a fair few CDs for pennies each.
    Buy 'em, rip 'em, sling 'em in a box.
    When box is full shove it under the bed.

I never have to go searching for a CD, because it's all there on the server, and consequently under my fingertips.

I have more than enough clutter with my LP collection.
    Why would I want to make more with my CDs too?
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Grant.

ive got most of mine ripped although they are still all out as i like playing cds too. best of both worlds.. got several copies on hdd in case of a failure. get a lot of cds off amazon sellers for a couple of quid
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Hugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel SE View Post
    I ask myself are you really music lovers if you want to sterilise and clean everything down to a streaming unit
    There's a difference between music lovers and equipment lovers.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    Nothing at all!

Why can't you get your head around ripping CDs to a server, and accessing it over a network?
    CDs are still the least expensive way of obtaining lossless music files, and as a result I buy a fair few CDs for pennies each.
    Buy 'em, rip 'em, sling 'em in a box.
    When box is full shove it under the bed.

I never have to go searching for a CD, because it's all there on the server, and consequently under my fingertips.

I have more than enough clutter with my LP collection.
    Why would I want to make more with my CDs too?
    I do the same: rip 'em, store 'em. However, if I put them under the bed, I would need a ladder and a crash helmet for my sleepies!

Geoff

I'm James.

Have everything ripped, can't fault the sound and convenience, but I do miss using cds, I'd go back given the chance. Streaming holds no interest.
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Pieoftheday View Post
    Have everything ripped, can't fault the sound and convenience, but I do miss using cds, I'd go back given the chance. Streaming holds no interest.
    If you genuinely feel that way, then why not go back to physical media?

Geoff

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    If you genuinely feel that way, then why not go back to physical media?

Geoff
    2 bed terrace little space, I only went this route for convenience and space saving,not really my choice!! Still I get to keep my HiFi and music and my cds for another day☺
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm Dennis.

Interesting discussion to me because viewpoints cross my own.

I do not have a lot of music, but what I have is to me of profound artistic (and philosophical) value.

I like to keep it myself and not be prone to the vagaries of it being on a server, but streaming appeals because it allows one to sample a very wide catalogue of music.

I do not like the idea of everything being on a HD because of the work doing it, to be repeated when the drive fails, and similarly for a computer.

But it is apparent that I will have to when time allows, do a hell of a lot of research before committing to a streaming service.

I'm Grant.

commitment wise its only on a monthly basis, so no probs if you dont like it, you can cancel easily. Quality wise I prefer deezer hifi over tidal but there is not a lot in it. for convenience, spotify is hard to beat and the quality is surprisingly good.
    ... as for ripping your cds to hd, best you save the contents to another one for emergencies. 2 if you can afford it. you can update them every month or 2 as time permits. That way if anything goes phutt, the most you lose is a handful of rips at worst.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Quote Originally Posted by narabdela View Post
    There's a difference between music lovers and equipment lovers.
    No, no, no this can't be right - to be a 'real' music lover, you must have lots and lots of gear, surely?
    Last edited by Tim; 17-03-2018 at 00:32. Reason: ooops! .... is that better ;)
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast