+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 LastLast

Thread: How many folk now use streaming and have sold all their other audio equipment?

I'm inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by Shovel_Knight View Post
    A true classic. I wanted to get one, but was put off by horror stories about shipping: apparently those Brauns don’t travel well because of fluid-damped suspension.
    Can imaging shipping is very pricey - they weigh a ton !! The fluid damping is fairly robust though, mine has had some fairly rough treatment during the many moves I've made since first getting it but the suspension has outlived it all. I had it open about a year or two ago (to repair the string ...) and noticed there had been a very slight leak from one of the chambers. I tightened up the circlip and last time I looked (a few months back) it seemed OK. The suspension is one of the best things of this deck and another design aspect testifying to the genius of Dieter Rams so I'm hoping it lasts me out

Could go on about the deck for ages but conscious this might be thread crap .... might start a new one instead.

I'm Martin.

Its not elitism Geoff. My Dad worked very hard as a service engineer and we didnt have a lot of money. The radiogram in the house was well iffy though and there are no two ways about that. I still have nightmares about that piece of junk. All cabinet with appointment to the queen logos and no real substance inside. The amp thudded on with a pop, boomed away though poor speakers and it always seemed one short step from failing. I think it was repaired more than once. It was that sort of crap that gave the Japanese a clear run.

My parents like many people were not music or equipment lovers. Rigonda record players were scattered around the extended family because they werent too bothered. Some Scotland The What record would go on at Christmas or Rebecca are you better. My Grandad was a Doctor...two big houses.... boats.... but I never saw him with any music equipment apart from an old Rigonda.

My Uncle who is a high up manager/scientist for Blue Circle peaked at a 505, Nad and AR 18s but at least he went that far with a good starter set up. It doesnt take a massive amount of money or imagination to start getting interested in better equipment

Most people dont have a good hi fi system because they are not really interested or have other priorities. Im not sure it is all about money. Ive seen people who worked for minimum wage or on the dole that have a house full of Musical Fidelity X tubes and leather sofas. I think its more a question of the priorities placed on things.

At least Ive made some effort to see what Joe Ackroyd and Roy Gandy have been up to. I want more than an Amstrad midi system because thats important to me. It doesnt have to break the bank
    Last edited by Minstrel SE; 19-03-2018 at 18:22.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel SE View Post
    Its not elitism Geoff. My Dad worked very hard as a service engineer and we didnt have a lot of money. The radiogram in the house was well iffy though and there is no two ways about that. I still have nightmares about that piece of junk. All cabinet with appointment to the queen logos and no real substance inside. The amp thudded on with a pop, boomed away though poor speakers and it always seemed a short step from failing

My parents like many people were not music or equipment lovers. Rigonda record players were scattered around the extended family because they werent too bothered. Some Scotland the what record would go on at Christmas or Rebecca are you better. My Grandad was a Doctor and I never saw him with any music equipment apart from an old Rigonda.

My Uncle who is a high up manager/scientist for Blue Circle peaked at a 505, Nad and AR 18s but at least he went that far with a good starter set up. It doesnt take a massive amount of money or imagination to start getting interested in better equipment

Most people dont have a good hi fi system because they are not really interested or have other priorities. Im not sure it is all about money. Ive seen people who worked for minimum wage or on the dole that have a house full of Musical Fidelity X tubes and leather sofas. I think its more a question of the priorities placed on things.

At least Ive made some effort to see what Joe Ackroyd and Roy Gandy ahve been up to. I want more than an Amstrad midi system because thats important to me. It doesnt have to break the bank
    I think you misunderstand what I am saying. I am all for people making budget decisions that maximise their utility or welfare (yes, I am an economist). We all have different tastes and preferences. Personally, I have little interest in cars, other than as a means of getting from a to b, though I do enjoy driving, especially long road trips in distant places. Hifi, along with travel, and photography are the main targets of my leisure spending. Although I still have a high quality SLR kit with multiple bodies and lenses, I find that a good quality compact digital that is easier to carry, gets more use than bulky SLRs that mark you out as a tourist rather than a traveller.

I invested heavily in a good hifi whilst at uni in the late 70s because I was fortunate to find very well paid part time employment in London. I had a Dual turntable, Rogers A75 MkII amp, and Rogers LS3/5a speakers. It was a huge investment for me, and a conscious decision to use the money for Hi fi rather than for other leisure activities. I have never regretted that investment but have always recognised that I was fortunate to be able to afford to make it. Over the years I have been able to upgrade individual components (e.g. A Rega 3 and then Linn LP12 for the Dual) but I have always been cautious in my spending (even though I have been fortunate in terms of my career and earnings). So I can very well understand why individuals would wish to spend what others see as a disproportionate amount of their disposable income on high quality components. Good luck to them and I hope that they get maximum and long term enjoyment from their spending. I equally understand why so many people these days are unable or unwilling to invest in a good quality domestic hi fi. Good luck to them too. How they choose to spend their money is for them alone.

What does offend me is a small group of AoS members who seem to sneer on the choices made by those on smaller budgets. I recall a recent posting, I can't remember the thread, that used the phrase "unwashed masses". Appalling elitism by any measure. We are not all able to contemplate the purchase of components with 4 digit price tags and it offends me greatly when smug self-satisfied forum members seem to take pleasure in denigrating the budget-constrained systems that less affluent members take such pride in. Surely, this forum is more than a "dick waving" exercise!

Geoff

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post

What does offend me is a small group of AoS members who seem to sneer on the choices made by those on smaller budgets. I recall a recent posting, I can't remember the thread, that used the phrase "unwashed masses". Appalling elitism by any measure. We are not all able to contemplate the purchase of components with 4 digit price tags and it offends me greatly when smug self-satisfied forum members seem to take pleasure in denigrating the budget-constrained systems that less affluent members take such pride in. Surely, this forum is more than a "dick waving" exercise!

Geoff
    Geoff, there really is no-one on here who is anything like that. Are you sure you did not take a jokey comment out of context? You're more likely to get a gentle ribbing for spending loads of money on here, not get grief for being on a tight budget. And if you are on a tight budget you'll get good advice on how to maximise it because a lot of us have had to do that ourselves. So I just don't get it.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Geoff, there really is no-one on here who is anything like that. Are you sure you did not take a jokey comment out of context? You're more likely to get a gentle ribbing for spending loads of money on here, not get grief for being on a tight budget. And if you are on a tight budget you'll get good advice on how to maximise it because a lot of us have had to do that ourselves. So I just don't get it.
    No, quite sure! I do have a sense of humour, even if it is at my own expense!

Geoff

I'm Dennis.

I stand by my support of the post I quoted, and also the further statements I have made.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    I stand by my support of the post I quoted, and also the further statements I have made.
    Dennis,

we are going to have to agree to disagree, but I do wonder how many digital streaming systems you have heard in person. I started as an avid vinyl supporter and was a very late and reluctant adopter of cd. However, digital streaming, especially of one's own ripped files has now superseded early cd technology and I would suggest that you would have to spend several £k on a CDP to get close to the leading edge streaming solutions now available.

I cannot see how you can refute my observations about the commodification of recorded music. When do you think it was not a commodity subject to marketing and driven by profit maximisation rather than a concern for SQ and aesthetic values?

Geoff

I'm Dennis.

I have heard few streaming examples, but my opinion is based on observing others' reactions to their setups, many of which are on this forum.

I think you are over extending my statements. I agree that music has always been a commodity, but the people I cited grasped that and markedly took over the market with their business venture, to me a marked increase in the process.

I'm Mike.

Well, one week on, and glad to report that I am very happy with this new format, ok new to me! What I find so wonderful is being able to play music through my hifi that I was once only able to listen to on my laptop! You know when you're browsing YouTube, looking for old classics (whatever your old classics are). The SQ is quite stunning considering I am at present live streaming from iTunes, I still haven't got around to buying a usb cable. Replacing the utterly crap standard interconnect (thin black cable, red/white plugs) with a Chorus one courtesy of a fellow AOS member has made a large improvement, needless to say! What else is so great is I can listen to records that I have sold, listening to them now I wonder why, its like I never sold them, really £10 a month, its incredible. I look forward to trying other streaming services, and may'be further down the road, refining my streaming set up, if I choose to. Of course I still haven't tried downloading music files, saving them and replaying them, is that better than live streaming? I haven't yet made a comparison with my CDP - a rather lovely Pioneer PD 8700 - this was quite a step up from a Sony 715, I need to buy another quality interconnect so I can do that. Streaming has also drawn my attention to my vinyl set up - which seems a bit harsh with treble, trouble is I don't know what to try concerning that, subject of a new thread may'be. Listening to the same music on vinyl and live streaming, vinyl edges it in pace and solidity, though its early days yet. At the moment just loving hearing music properly rather than on a crappy laptop!
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Grant.

Good stuff. Welcome to the club
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 LastLast