+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: How many folk now use streaming and have sold all their other audio equipment?

I'm Robert.

A friend of mine has gone to a top of the range Linn System after selling his CD Player and Turntable.

The speakers alone cost him nearly £60,000 and I think the Klimax DS around £20,000.

He tells me he does not miss not having a CD Player or Turntable.

I'm Hugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob1969 View Post

Hard to admit to after dropping 80 grand.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob1969 View Post
    And I don't miss not having streaming. Not having felt the urge to try it yet.

It seems to be a means of access to music that has some way to go before it is settled. The options available appear an endless endless jumble and I constantly see bemused people struggling to find their way to a set-up they can use easily and understand.

No doubt some are perfectly happy, but there always seems to be an underlying and unspoken impression, to me at least, that some folk are thinking the sound is a bit of an 'also ran'.

I'm Gary.

Why does it have to be one or the other, to the point of almost getting into a bunfight over it?

Have spotify and Tidal subscriptions here as well as 6000 odd albums in digital format.
    Choice of music...isn’t a problem.
    Yet, I still enjoy spinning vinyl absolutely its a nice thing to have.
    There is something to owning a “nice thing”, whether a watch, fine art, hifi kit or whatever floats your boat.

Digital streaming doesnt impact on that?
    Good (and not necessarrily expensive) digital kit can make streamed music as good as it needs to be imo.
    whats not to be happy about?

Tom,
    Your saying that availability of streamed music takes away from “focused listening” caught my ear?
    We all enjoy music differently and whilst I DO enjoy the focused listening thing, its great just to enjoy the journey and appreciate being able to dig into new music you might otherwise never have heard of.

If its really great...
    we can buy the album, shut he curtains and get our concentration face on.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Why does it have to be one or the other, to the point of almost getting into a bunfight over it?

Have spotify and Tidal subscriptions here as well as 6000 odd albums in digital format.
    Choice of music...isn’t a problem.
    Yet, I still enjoy spinning vinyl absolutely its a nice thing to have.
    There is something to owning a “nice thing”, whether a watch, fine art, hifi kit or whatever floats your boat.

Digital streaming doesnt impact on that?
    Good (and not necessarrily expensive) digital kit can make streamed music as good as it needs to be imo.
    whats not to be happy about?

Tom,
    Your saying that availability of streamed music takes away from “focused listening” caught my ear?
    We all enjoy music differently and whilst I DO enjoy the focused listening thing, its great just to enjoy the journey and appreciate being able to dig into new music you might otherwise never have heard of.

If its really great...
    we can buy the album, shut he curtains and get our concentration face on.
    +1 to all that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A mainly digital setup with a musical amplifier and endearing 1970's speakers. A CD player that hardly ever gets used and a turntable that is good enough to remind my how enjoyable my old vinyl is. Some cables and things.

I'm Grant.

Of course not everyone wants to dissect music. I know I don't.

What I liked about only having a small collection was the lack of temptation to chop and change which with introduction of cd and now streaming, is now just too easy.
    So. Yes I think I enjoyed my records more when I had less choice. Think tv was similar
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

I can recall when a new album came out you wanted to hear it was a big deal. You might have heard a single or singles on the radio for free but not the whole album.

You had to travel to a physical shop and pay a lot of money (comparatively) to get it. But you had something for your money, a 12 inch disc inside a glossy cardboard folder with a piece of artwork (and maybe some more stuff inside). You'd stop at your mate's house on the way home because he wanted a listen too. Stick it on his turntable and play it while he taped a copy for himself.

Tape was always very much second class of course and if your mate really liked the album he would soon go out and buy the vinyl himself. And this would be reciprocated, if your mate was first to buy the album he would bring it to you for a listen (and a bit of illegal copying).

At the time this was just how it was and we did not think it wonderful or special in the way we do now when we look back at those times from what (was then) the far future.

However I don't really know if we can argue that something valuable and worthwhile has been lost. It's the nature of people to look back at the past and think that things were somehow better. It didn't feel that way to us at the time! A month's subscription to a streaming service costs less than one record album did then (allowing for inflation). And those blank tapes were not free, either. (Although I did once record an album over a talking book for the blind, which I felt a bit guilty about for 5 minutes).

If we could have had that facility as youngsters back in the 1970s and 80s would we not have jumped at it? I suspect so, if only for financial reasons.

To some extent this is a case of nostalgia not being what it used to be. The world just moves on regardless.

Personally I don't use streaming because I find computers irritating and the last thing I want when I am listening to music is to be irritated; and I already have a system that works fine for me. I do not hold any ideological position on it either way.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    Seriously?

Geoff
    Yep, seriously. If I hear something contemporary I cannot recall not finding it on vinyl, Classical music is the exception.

Much of the music I like is either available new on vinyl or I buy via discogs and second hand markets where I have obtained about 50% of the stuff I own.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Yep, seriously. If I hear something contemporary I cannot recall not finding it on vinyl, Classical music is the exception.

Much of the music I like is either available new on vinyl or I buy via discogs and second hand markets where I have obtained about 50% of the stuff I own.
    So what is the one instance you referred to?

Geoff

I'm inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    So what point are you trying to make ? You were praising effectively limitless accessibility of music. .
    Except I wasn't ... not at any point on this or any other thread. What I said (and you quoted in your first response) was that:

"Compared to a lot of the shitty sound reproduction regularly encountered in the pre-digital era, we are now living in an audio golden age with almost limitless possibilities (and at a fraction of the cost...)"

You interpreted that to mean something altogether different and decided to go off on one .... your problem, not mine.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast