+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: How many folk now use streaming and have sold all their other audio equipment?

I'm Pavel.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    nasty.. a lot of weight in there
    That Expedit was oriented incorrectly. I’m pretty sure Ikea mentions that if you’re going to put heavy stuff in it, the long dividers have to be horizontal, not vertical.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Shovel_Knight View Post
    That Expedit was oriented incorrectly. I’m pretty sure Ikea mentions that if you’re going to put heavy stuff in it, the long dividers have to be horizontal, not vertical.
    Agreed. I also ensure that I apply PVA adhesive when the loading is extreme as in this case.

Geoff

I'm inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    .... we forget that these were expensive luxuries in their days not mass-market products available to the masses.
    Agree with the entirety of your response to Pharos but that line really caught my eye as something that can't be emphasised enough.

Living through the 60s and 70s, as I did, on close to bare minimum wages, most even reasonably 'hifi' gear was way beyond the means of many ... and that which was reasonably affordable was mostly shite - poorly manufactured and terrible SQ. The only way I could acquire anything reasonable was either (very) second hand or build it myself from kits.

A quick Google search reveals that the now much loved Quad 33/303 combo cost just short of £100 when it came out - which was the equivalent of a full month's wage for the average earner at that time. When I first saw and heard the combo in the early 70s I was instantly smitten - but it would be another 20 years before I finally had a set of my own.

The situation now is incomparable if you look at the wealth of very good gear available for what is effectively peanuts (viz PI/Dac combo....)

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by mikmas View Post
    Agree with the entirety of your response to Pharos but that line really caught my eye as something that can't be emphasised enough.

Living through the 60s and 70s, as I did, on close to bare minimum wages, most even reasonably 'hifi' gear was way beyond the means of many ... and that which was reasonably affordable was mostly shite - poorly manufactured and terrible SQ. The only way I could acquire anything reasonable was either (very) second hand or build it myself from kits.

A quick Google search reveals that the now much loved Quad 33/303 combo cost just short of £100 when it came out - which was the equivalent of a full month's wage for the average earner at that time. When I first saw and heard the combo in the early 70s I was instantly smitten - but it would be another 20 years before I finally had a set of my own.

The situation now is incomparable if you look at the wealth of very good gear available for what is effectively peanuts (viz PI/Dac combo....)
    I was lucky in that I had a full grant when I went to Uni in London in 1977. I was also fortunate in that I could find reasonably well paid work to supplement my grant and worked through the year not only in the Summer. It allowed my to buy a pair of brand new Rogers LS3/5a speakers for £150. It was a real stretch for me, as this is probably equivalent to close to £2000 today.

Geoff

I'm Martin.

True, I have kit here that would have cost me six month's wages if I'd bought it brand new in the early 'Nineties.

I don't know where the myth started that multitudes of people had proper hi-fi systems in the 1970s; a lot of people didn't even have a telly or a washing machine back then, let alone a decent record deck with separate amp and speakers. That was exclusively for wealthy professionals, diy-ers and students blowing a whole term's grant in one go then living on toast and cereal for 4 months.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Telling young people exactly where they are going wrong is one of the few benefits of being old. I had to put up with it when I was young and I'm damned if these kids today are going to get away from it scot free.
    Clearly being told you were a young no good layabout with no taste in music or anything else worked for your elders!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    Clearly being told you were a young no good layabout with no taste in music or anything else worked for your elders!
    They loved it. And so will I
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    True, I have kit here that would have cost me six month's wages if I'd bought it brand new in the early 'Nineties.

I don't know where the myth started that multitudes of people had proper hi-fi systems in the 1970s; a lot of people didn't even have a telly or a washing machine back then, let alone a decent record deck with separate amp and speakers. That was exclusively for wealthy professionals, diy-ers and students blowing a whole term's grant in one go then living on toast and cereal for 4 months.
    Some of the pompous elitism expressed by a few forum members really winds me up. My parents were first generation immigrants to the UK (Dublin and St. Helier, Jersey) in the mid 50's and we really struggled. My father, a chef, had two jobs, and would come home on his bike for a couple of hours kip between jobs. Despite that, he wa a big music lover and our sole consumer luxury at home (aside from a tv) was a radiogram. Access to high quality music in the home is a very recent development. Even now, the notion of spending hundreds yet alone thousands of pounds on a music system is a bewildering concept for many!

Geoff

I'm inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by Shovel_Knight View Post
    I love the whole setup, and that Braun turntable is really sweet
    Cheers ... a better view of it below - I found it in a junk shop in Amsterdam in the early 80s, been in fairly regular use since and only ever needed a new piece of string (no, really)

[IMG]Braun PS500 by miktec101, on Flickr[/IMG]

I'm Pavel.

A true classic. I wanted to get one, but was put off by horror stories about shipping: apparently those Brauns don’t travel well because of fluid-damped suspension.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast