+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: How many folk now use streaming and have sold all their other audio equipment?

I'm Deleted.

I've heard dozens (perhaps hundreds) of streaming systems and, in terms of pure sound quality, nothing has vaguely tempted me to dump my physical media and embrace it. In fact, I don't even feel tempted to introduce it into my main system. Bear in mind the only thing I would actually need to purchase is a DAC - I already have a home network (two in fact), a 'high end' laptop (I even have a spare I could dedicate just for the job) etc. -I know how to do it - could easily build a Raspberry Pi for example, it's just that the novelty doesn't appeal and the sound quality doesn't persuade me.
    Account Deleted

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    I've heard dozens (perhaps hundreds) of streaming systems and, in terms of pure sound quality, nothing has vaguely tempted me to dump my physical media and embrace it. In fact, I don't even feel tempted to introduce it into my main system. Bear in mind the only thing I would actually need to purchase is a DAC - I already have a home network (two in fact), a 'high end' laptop (I even have a spare I could dedicate just for the job) etc. -I know how to do it - could easily build a Raspberry Pi for example, it's just that the novelty doesn't appeal and the sound quality doesn't persuade me.
    I thought the question was "How many folk now use streaming . . . " ?

I think by now we all know you don't like it and it's clear you never will as you don't want to, that horse is thoroughly beaten to death
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    I thought the question was "How many folk now use streaming . . . " ?

I think by now we all know you don't like it and it's clear you never will as you don't want to, that horse is thoroughly beaten to death
    +1.

I think your tag line is enough to convince us that streaming is not for you.

Geoff

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Boyse6748 View Post
    Roon is a software interface that integrates with Tidal / Downloaded or NAS stored files. It also acts as a search engine to find music files you wish to store within your library. The interface is very slick and probably the best currently available

Additionally, Roon interfaces with your DAC to produce the best possible sound available.

A very brief summary.... I would suggest you look on the Roon website for a more detailed information.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Emmmmm, how much does it improve the sound?
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    Over what Mike? That's too much of an open ended a question, I would do some research and maybe even try it out for free if you are interested? It's considered the cutting edge of streaming (with TIDAL) and what one could use as a home file server. It's subjective whether it sounds better than say JRiver, but it's certainly more user friendly and the wealth of information about the music itself, artists, who engineered what or played on what, is second to none. More comprehensive than liner notes, but you do have to pay for that in depth information. Just depends on how deep you want to go and how seriously you take your music knowledge.

Take a look at what a NUC with ROCK on it does, then you will have a deeper understanding. YouTube is your friend.

https://roonlabs.com/

https://kb.roonlabs.com/Roon_Optimized_Core_Kit

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=roon

If you are interested you will have do some leg work yourself, as there's rather a lot to explain, especially if its all new to you
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    Over what Mike? That's too much of an open ended a question, I would do some research and maybe even try it out for free if you are interested? It's considered the cutting edge of streaming (with TIDAL) and what one could use as a home file server. It's subjective whether it sounds better than say JRiver, but it's certainly more user friendly and the wealth of information about the music itself, artists, who engineered what or played on what, is second to none. More comprehensive than liner notes, but you do have to pay for that in depth information. Just depends on how deep you want to go and how seriously you take your music knowledge.

Take a look at what a NUC with ROCK on it does, then you will have a deeper understanding. YouTube is your friend.

https://roonlabs.com/

https://kb.roonlabs.com/Roon_Optimized_Core_Kit

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=roon

If you are interested you will have do some leg work yourself, as there's rather a lot to explain, especially if its all new to you
    Thanks Tim, I will try it, admit it can be difficult choosing what to play with streaming, there's almost too much choice.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Roon?
    None much improvement.

Roon's USP is the artist data it can access. Does Tidal, but no Spotify integration.
    Roon can also control a wide range of endpoint devices, more than other systems can.
    It's probably one of the nicest to use from a visual perspective.
    It is expensive, and it does require a computer with a bit of processing grunt behind it too, to run the core engine.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Geoff.

Thanks Tim, I will try it, admit it can be difficult choosing what to play with streaming, there's almost too much choice.
    When you have nothing specific in mind, try playing by genre or play one of the curated playlists as a way of discovering new music.

Geoff

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    Roon?
    None much improvement.

Roon's USP is the artist data it can access. Does Tidal, but no Spotify integration.
    Roon can also control a wide range of endpoint devices, more than other systems can.
    It's probably one of the nicest to use from a visual perspective.
    It is expensive, and it does require a computer with a bit of processing grunt behind it too, to run the core engine.
    Roon is slick and the user interface is good. However, it is expensive and demanding of equipment. I can't see that it offers better sound quality than other streaming software.

Geoff

I'm Martin.

Yes but how much space do you want to save for the sake of keeping a few bits and bobs about.

I can see the way its going but Im not interested in going all streaming. I might dabble with streaming but not at the cost of getting rid of anything else. I do things very gradually and make no rash decisions.

For the people that dont have cd players...whats up with you? The wealth of music on vinyl and cd deserves dedicated players. I might pick up some world music on vinyl and its the most amazing experience Ive heard all month regardless of ultimate sound quality. The point is we have spent what we can afford on the other equipment so wheres the harm in having it ready

There are no medals to be won for not having it. You save some space and have less dusting to do...so what

I ask myself are you really music lovers if you want to sterilise and clean everything down to a streaming unit
    Last edited by Minstrel SE; 16-03-2018 at 16:03.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast