+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 26 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: How many folk now use streaming and have sold all their other audio equipment?

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Primalsea View Post
    Audiophile hearing aids. BOOM! A new hifi product for the market. I have all the good ideas me.
    I have a feeling that's been done.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    A little flabbergasted TBH at the level of hostility in your reply, I'm not criticising anyone for what they like, I'm simply just explaining what I like - why does it upset people so much if they like something different, especially if it's digital?
    Oh its not hostile and Im sorry you feel like that. Its a strong argument defending my position because I wont be seen as odd for wanting some equipment and storage space for physical media.

You are hitting the buttons by saying you dont need stuff to appreciate music and trying to tell us about too much physical media for storage. Im simply pointing out that you do need stuff to appreciate music...just less of it for your logistical taste.

Its not directed solely at you. The implication through the thread is that the streamers have seen the light and all other equipment is superfluous. I dont see streaming as the only way and I dont see a problem that needs solving

I havent reached the point where the physical media has overwhelmed me so downsizing isnt an issue for me. You mention stuff and levels of storage as if it could be a problem.

Im simply saying it isnt a problem and I will let you know when it is. We can all say each to their own but there is more to be said because I find it strange that you may have no other way then streaming.

Best wishes
    Martin
    Last edited by Minstrel SE; 18-03-2018 at 14:00.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Enlighten me then Geoff. Obviously you have expert knowledge in this area?
    I do not claim to be an expert, but I am certainly an informed user. I cannot know what you would consider acceptable, but I can tell you what has impressed me. Let me start with items I own.

a) Cambridge CXN streamer. Exceptionally simple user interface. Can be used with just a remote control and built in display but also through a very good app. Plays Spotify, Tidal, web radio, and digital files on a home network or simply plugged into the usb port. A complete front end for £700. Can even be used as a digital preamp with remote volume control. A very smooth analogue sounding device. Only problem I have found is some very slight veiling of fine detail, most notable at the lower frequency extremes.

b) Caiman SEG DAC with RPi3/Digione audio board running Volumio. Total cost around £350 plus another £70 for a linear power supply. This combo has replaced the Cambridge CXN in my main system. Exceptional levels of detail retrieval for the price. Frankly, I am hearing details from ripped cds that I know intimately, that I have never heard before.

c) At the budget end, a Google Chromecast Audio. Cost me £20 in PC World. Outstanding sound for the price, especially using the optical out into a good DAC. I use it in my bedroom system with Deezer to discover new music.

In terms of other equipment I have been impressed by but do not own, I would highlight the SOtM range. If I was not relocating overseas shortly I would probably have gone for this or its lower price option. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCoFIdPLcUk

So there you have it. Options ranging from a few quid to a grand or two!

Geoff

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel SE View Post
    Oh its not hostile and Im sorry you feel like that. Its a strong argument defending my position because I wont be seen as odd for wanting some equipment and storage space for physical media.

Its not directed solely at you. The implication through the thread is that the streamers have seen the light and all other equipment is superfluous I dont see streaming as the only way.

There is nothing written that is hostile. I havent reached the point where the physical media has overwhelmed me so downsizing isnt an issue for me. You mention stuff and levels of storage as if it could be a problem.

Im simply saying it isnt a problem and I will let you know when it is.

Best wishes
    Martin
    I think some people have forgotten the title of this thread. It is not who hates vinyl and who dismisses vinyl as a viable quality source. Inevitably, the bulk of responses will be from those who have migrated to digital streaming because they have found the quality (and yes, the convenience) to be of a level they can live with. As an original cd hater for many years, I have begrudgingly come to concede that digital streaming has reached a quality threshold that I can more than happily live with!

Geoff

I'm Martin.

Yes but Ive not really even mentioned sound quality yet. I enjoy dabbling with various pieces of equipment and holding a record I have found in town.

When Tim says he has some good art on the walls, he fails to see the implications and subtext behind that statement. Its called pushing the buttons of debate or light argument

The implication from the minimalists is they have a lovely well kept home they can live in and appreciate. The implication is that Ive no room for art on the walls because I live in a clustered, dishevelled, badly organised home.

I also have some good art on the walls but I like shelving on at least one wall and some hi fi racks to store my lovely equipment on.

Heck I'm a gamer so around 10 consoles have to be stored for ready access. You would'nt want me to give up my lovely orange Japanese Gamecube with Pal internals would you?

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    I think some people have forgotten the title of this thread. It is not who hates vinyl and who dismisses vinyl as a viable quality source. Inevitably, the bulk of responses will be from those who have migrated to digital streaming because they have found the quality (and yes, the convenience) to be of a level they can live with. As an original cd hater for many years, I have begrudgingly come to concede that digital streaming has reached a quality threshold that I can more than happily live with!

Geoff
    Some of us enjoy both!
    Pretty up to date here digital kit and streaming wise, but you couldn’t pry my Orbe/SME V from my cold dead fingers.

It IS art...its just not on the wall.
    For that I have my own artwork hanging up, hows that for a bit different?
    Last edited by Gazjam; 18-03-2018 at 14:50.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm inactive.

... just to show that its possible to embrace vinyl AND digital AND art on the wall AND clutter

[IMG]clutter by miktec101, on Flickr[/IMG]

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by mikmas View Post

[IMG]clutter by miktec101, on Flickr[/IMG]
    What have you done to that poor old Quad 33?
    Barry

I'm Martin.

Since something went wrong way back and anything these days can be considered as art, I declare that I consider my shelves of vinyl and cds to be an art installation. Problem solved. The other shelf with all the dust and some Xmas cards from 2 years ago, that as well.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Hugh.

Quote Originally Posted by mikmas View Post
    ... just to show that its possible to embrace vinyl AND digital AND art on the wall AND clutter
    Love the Braun turntable.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 26 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast