+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: How many folk now use streaming and have sold all their other audio equipment?

I'm Bob.

I was into using online services although I used to actually download my collection rather than stream, I was using Microsoft's Groove service, I did have to stream if I was playing the music on my Hi-Fi as this was connected to my Xbox and this doesn't store music locally.

For whatever reason MS stopped this service (Probably because it wasn't making money) so they recommended going over to Spotify.

Spotify have never made a profit.

No thanks, I ripped all my old CD's and now have them as local files and if I want to "Buy" new music I will buy the CD and rip it.

I have Amazon Prime so I can stream and did so for hours on Xmas day playing a lot of Xmas music I wouldn't dream of buying.

My main entertainment system is my Xbox One X, but I still have a CD player along with all my CD's in boxes in the loft, once bitten etc.......

I'm Andy.

Not got rid of anything (never had a dedicated CD player in my life though).
    Use streaming plus listen to vinyl and tapes.
    All formats have pros and cons.
    Main system:
    Analogue.
    Michell Orbe with arm decoupling kit & Pete's Pylons. SME V arm, Denon DL103M (FGS), Firebottle OPT MKII phono amp
    Technic SP-10 in Obsidian plinth, AT1010 PMAC v8b arm, Goldring Elite MC Cart and BB3 Phono Amp
    Leak Lenco GL75 with Ortofon OM10 cartridge
    Technics RS-BX404 Cassette Deck
    Network Player.
    Raspberry PI plus R2-R DAC (also used as a CD player) plus Pi NAS Server
    Digital.
    Philips DCC 730 player
    Marantz CD50SE
    Amp.
    Audiolab 8000A
    Speakers.
    Reiver Jenna floor standers
    HeadPhones.
    Sennheiser HD545 Ref, HD600, HD477

I'm Geoff.

The CD player has gone because it did not sound as good as my ripped files.

I still have turntable and very large vinyl collection because I probably wouldn't get much for them. I have sold a few vinyl discs but encountered too many time wasters wanting something for nothing.

One buyer claimed a mint vinyl album had a visible scratch across one face of the disc! I couldn't be arsed to argue so refunded money and have not sold another disc since.

Geoff

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    Many audiophiles are into streaming.
    Ah, then I'm not the right person to give an opinion as I don't consider myself to be an audiophile - interesting topic though.

I think if you want the 'best out of music' you need access to a variety of playback sources, not just streaming
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    Ah, then I'm not the right person to give an opinion as I don't consider myself to be an audiophile - interesting topic though.

I think if you want the 'best out of music' you need access to a variety of playback sources, not just streaming
    I don't understand this. Surely it's about accessing the music you want to listen to at a level of quality that matches your expectations. Although I listen to new music or music I am unfamiliar with on Spotify and Deezer, I still mainly listen to my own ripped cds because of the convenience and the quality!

montesquieu Guest

Predominantly use Spotify as a means to find/identify new music to buy (sometimes on vinyl, other times on CD) and to avoid buying stuff I know I won't play.

It's worked pretty well for me so far.

I'm Paul.

There are loads of really good artists out there who are not signed to a label and do not have resources to release on vinyl or CD, but can use websites like Bandcamp and Soundcloud, etc. to sell downloads. I’m listening to a guy called Niall Thomas on Bandcamp right now. I don’t think there is any need to think of streaming as a replacement to anything, just another way to a access music.
    ~Paul~

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    I don't understand this.
    That's because you missed my point, as a lot of music isn't available in just one format, which is why I said 'best out of music' - you're thinking like an audiophile, not a pure music lover. Best out of music isn't just about sound quality or convenience, not to me it isn't

Likewise I don't understand this "at a level of quality that matches your expectations" - I tend to not have high expectations for some music, just being able to hear/experience it is enough, especially if it's rare and not widely available.

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    That's because you missed my point, as a lot of music isn't available in just one format, which is why I said 'best out of music' - you're thinking like an audiophile, not a pure music lover. Best out of music isn't just about sound quality or convenience, not to me it isn't

Likewise I don't understand this "at a level of quality that matches your expectations" - I tend to not have high expectations for some music, just being able to hear/experience it is enough, especially if it's rare and not widely available.
    Heavily into Roon now for the past six months or so.... just knocked out by the shear choice and quality. Mind you, the TT / R2R / SACD / Tuner is going nowhere. That includes the record and CD collection.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Quote Originally Posted by Boyse6748 View Post
    Mind you, the TT / R2R / SACD / Tuner is going nowhere. That includes the record and CD collection.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast