+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: How many folk now use streaming and have sold all their other audio equipment?

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    No, no, no this can't be right - to be a 'real' music lover, you must have lot's and lot's of gear, surely?
    Apostrophes Timothy, apostrophes!

I sit with you and Hugh, at the end of the pew, getting looked at with suspicion by the others.
    It's all about freeing the music - hardware is a necessary evil, not the raison d'être.
    I prefer to listen to the music, not fiddle with the machinery by which it's conveyed.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    Nothing at all!

Why can't you get your head around ripping CDs to a server, and accessing it over a network?
    CDs are still the least expensive way of obtaining lossless music files, and as a result I buy a fair few CDs for pennies each.
    Buy 'em, rip 'em, sling 'em in a box.
    When box is full shove it under the bed.

I never have to go searching for a CD, because it's all there on the server, and consequently under my fingertips.

I have more than enough clutter with my LP collection.
    Why would I want to make more with my CDs too?
    I have ripped numerous albums to computer but I generally keep the cds shelved as I like owning the cd . I have started ripping and dumping a few marked cds I was picking up at charity shops. My collection is pretty much peaking at around 500 cds

I have an inventory and everything is in alphabetical order so Its not hard walking to a tall shelving unit and picking a cd out

I do have I tunes sessions with my stored music and I appreciate how easy it is to build a playlist as I go. There is still something that seems empty about that experience though

How are you going to get them all under the bed and the minute they go in boxes the decline tends to start as they get bunged in lofts and cold spare rooms. If you are sticking them in boxes you might as well sell them.

I like having the physical media to hand. I dont like the idea of everything being on a HD and its all heading towards music libraries with a monthly fee for unlimited downloads. That makes sense but I still like my collection and I cant see myself boxing it up anytime in the near future

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Couple of points, wait till you have well over 4,000 CDs and around 350 LPs, the real estate they take up is significant and to be honest I would rather have some nice art on the walls, than a load of ugly racks.

I store my CDs in IKEA boxes which are just the right size, in plastic sleeves to save even more space. The jewel case gets recycled, I do however keep ones which have been signed by the artist, got a fair few of those.

If you sold them you would need to delete the file as it would be illegal to have a ripped copy without the original.

I don't need 'stuff' to appreciate music, I know some do which I personally don't get, just as those that do like to collect things don't get why it's not important to me - each to their own
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel SE View Post
    I like having the physical media to hand
    I don't have a problem with that.
    Fill yer boots.
    When your library gets above a certain size, its size becomes a hindrance in itself to using it.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm gone.

I like stuff, and I love music.
    You need stuff to play the music.
    But I also like the stuff (hifi gear) for its own sake. It's kind of separate, but linked. Separate interests that support each other.

Music-wise, I'd be happy to go entirely virtual with no physical media at all, and that's what I do now. Not even hard drive storage.
    I have kept my physical media (CDs and the ability to play them) only as an insurance covering having my music access beyond my control.

Some folks need the physical side of it, though.
    They want to have it in their hands, feel it and fiddle with it. I say 'watch out for going blind'.
    Different strokes for different folks.
    Last edited by jandl100; 17-03-2018 at 06:29.

I'm Dennis.

If technology had developed to the point at which we needed no physical equipment, and in a room of guests could just 'think' of a track and will it to replay perfectly to the guests, how would you feel about that?

I suppose, given the current zeitgeist, there would be a risk that everyone would want to do so and a competitive noise would result.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    I like stuff, and I love music.
    You need stuff to play the music.
    But I also like the stuff (hifi gear) for its own sake. It's kind of separate, but linked. Separate interests that support each other.

Music-wise, I'd be happy to go entirely virtual with no physical media at all, and that's what I do now. Not even hard drive storage.
    I have kept my physical media (CDs and the ability to play them) only as an insurance covering having my music access beyond my control.

Some folks need the physical side of it, though.
    They want to have it in their hands, feel it and fiddle with it. I say 'watch out for going blind'.
    Different strokes for different folks.

So is all your music via Spotify 160kb Premium download?

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Spotify Premium is 320kbps .ogg
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm gone.

Hmm, interesting question!
    Spotify Premium.
    But all my DACs register it as 96khz 24 bit.
    And a DAC that only goes up to 48khz fails to lock on.

I'm Rich.

If I've said it once I'll say it again...

Life's too short to be purist in any format for me.

I like the ability to play what I find, in whatever format I find it.

Still regularly buying and spinning CD and vinyl as well as streaming.
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast