+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: How many folk now use streaming and have sold all their other audio equipment?

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    Are you seriously suggesting that music has only recently become a commercially driven commodity. Look at the historical marketing of recorded music; the widespread practice of Payola; the appalling exploitation of artists and their property rights; and, the manipulation employed by the record labels to artificially boost a record in the album charts. Music is a commodity, and we make subjective choices about how we spend our limited economic resources, no tleast the use of our time.

The reason that tastes are changing is that music has competition from other leisure activities that it did not face in the past. Additionally, technology gives us greater choice over what music we listen to, and where and when. Whilst I feel sorry for many younger folk who have never heard hi quality music reproduction I am not arrogant enough to suggest that their choices about leisure time pursuits are wrong.

Geoff
    No I'm not saying that as you well know. Good Cathy Newman impersonation though.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by mikmas View Post
    Sure - "Once Upon A Time....."
    (other fairy stories are also available)
    Yes, it can sound better, but at a cost much higher than for a digital system. Despite claims to the contrary, only a small proportion of new music makes it to vinyl, so as a technology it is fine if you are content with limited new content.

Although, sound quality is a primary issue, one cannot discount the convenience aspects of vinyl, not least the storage problems of a large collection, with which I am very familiar.

Geoff

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    No I'm not saying that as you well know. Good Cathy Newman impersonation though.
    You know that personal insults do not strengthen your arguments. So respond to the point: in what way has recorded music now become commodified?

Geoff

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Happily, I am sufficiently hard of hearing that I don't notice any shortfall in sound quality.
    I reckon the rez of my speakers makes small differences noticeable.

I'm inactive.

Yes, it can sound better, but at a cost much higher than for a digital system.
    If cost were the only factor then it would be relatively straightforward - simply throw some dosh at it, satisfaction guaranteed!!

However its clear from a cursory trawl of this forum that buying the gear is just the start of it .... deducing arm mass, cartridge matching, setting overhang and VTA, RIAA correction , etc. etc. etc.

Achieving audio Nirvana via vinyl is tantamount to invoking the black arts - or at least soliciting the services of a high priest conversent in such arcane ritual.
    .. although you could simply buy one of these and have done:

https://www.thisisitstores.co.uk/che...lours-all.html

£40 = job done

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by mikmas View Post
    If cost were the only factor then it would be relatively straightforward - simply throw some dosh at it, satisfaction guaranteed!!

However its clear from a cursory trawl of this forum that buying the gear is just the start of it .... deducing arm mass, cartridge matching, setting overhang and VTA, RIAA correction , etc. etc. etc.

Achieving audio Nirvana via vinyl is tantamount to invoking the black arts - or at least soliciting the services of a high priest conversent in such arcane ritual.
    .. although you could simply buy one of these and have done:

https://www.thisisitstores.co.uk/che...lours-all.html

£40 = job done
    Yes it does me me laugh when vinyl evangelists dismiss digital options such as RPi as being solely for geeky fiddlers! One man's geek is another man's .......

Geoff

I'm James.

Yes, it can sound better, but at a cost much higher than for a digital system. Despite claims to the contrary, only a small proportion of new music makes it to vinyl, so as a technology it is fine if you are content with limited new content.

Although, sound quality is a primary issue, one cannot discount the convenience aspects of vinyl, not least the storage problems of a large collection, with which I am very familiar.

Geoff
    I have only heard one digital system that could even slightly interest me in using digital as a serious listenable form of music and that cost way more than most vinyl systems.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I have only heard one digital system that could even slightly interest me in using digital as a serious listenable form of music and that cost way more than most vinyl systems.
    Jimbo,

I think we have already established your level of proficiency in searching for digital software. Forgive me if I suggest you may have not looked too hard for affordable quality digital hardware!

Geoff

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Primalsea View Post
    Audiophile hearing aids. BOOM! A new hifi product for the market. I have all the good ideas me.
    Right up there with carboard elephant ears...carbon fibre print of course.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm James.

Jimbo,

I think we have already established your level of proficiency in searching for digital software. Forgive me if I suggest you may have not looked too hard for affordable quality digital hardware!

Geoff
    Enlighten me then Geoff. Obviously you have expert knowledge in this area?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast