+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: How many folk now use streaming and have sold all their other audio equipment?

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    What do you mean?
    You were turning your nose up at the numbers.
    Don't.
    The numbers do not tell you the full story.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    You were turning your nose up at the numbers.
    Don't.
    The numbers do not tell you the full story.
    I have never heard Spotify Premium and was trying to find out what folk thought of the sound quality compared to CD.
    Don't presume you know what I am thinking.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

I have never heard Spotify Premium and was trying to find out what folk thought of the sound quality compared to CD.
    Is there another way to interpret this?

So Spotify Premium is 320 Kbps which is 1/4 of a CD bit rate. And that sounds good?
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Geoff.

I find Spotify Premium pretty good, though I have currently suspended my subscription in favour of a 3 month Deezer trial. I would say that when you play an album on Spotify it is not glaringly obvious that you are listening to compressed files. However, if you listen longer, you will be aware that it does not have the detail or the resolution of cd quality material. Some, files sound better than others, and I would guess that classical music with a wide dynamic range may fare worse than compressed rock or other popular music.

Geoff

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    I find Spotify Premium pretty good, though I have currently suspended my subscription in favour of a 3 month Deezer trial. I would say that when you play an album on Spotify it is not glaringly obvious that you are listening to compressed files. However, if you listen longer, you will be aware that it does not have the detail or the resolution of cd quality material. Some, files sound better than others, and I would guess that classical music with a wide dynamic range may fare worse than compressed rock or other popular music.

Geoff
    Cheers Geoff. I thought basic Spotify was OK for casual listening but wondered if the Premium service was good enough to use in a system as compared to CD.

I'm Geoff.

Cheers Geoff. I thought basic Spotify was OK for casual listening but wondered if the Premium service was good enough to use in a system as compared to CD.
    It only costs £10 to try Premium for a month, and there are sometimes free offers. If you have access to internet radio, try listening to one of the three Linn Radio channels which broadcast at the same bitrate as Premium (i.e. 320k). I find them very acceptable in terms of sound quality, although the catalogue is rather limited (i.e. Linn products).

Geoff

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

. . . wondered if the Premium service was good enough to use in a system as compared to CD.
    That's the 64 million dollar question, depends on your delivery device. A good bare bones player with a good PSU (like Raspberry Pi with a good HAT board) can sound ridiculously good playing Spotify Premium, that you need a good CD player to beat it. But a good delivery device playing a FLAC file, well that's hard to beat with a CDP of any price, assuming you have a DAC to match. Which is why it's becoming so popular, despite the despair of the naysayers.

So many variables to that question James
    Last edited by Tim; 17-03-2018 at 15:33.
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Grant.

Try Deezer hifi. You should get a trial but it needs a pc. Sound is good and Gas a great catalogue
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm gone.

So Spotify Premium is 320 Kbps which is 1/4 of a CD bit rate. And that sounds good?
    I started off with TIDAL Hi rez. I dismissed Spotify as not worthy of trying cos of 'the numbers'.
    I was happy with Tidal for quite a few months.
    Then a friend with similar musical tastes suggested I try Spotify Premium.
    Free trial, so why not.

Parallel subs for 3 months to see which one I preferred.
    Just in different windows on my PC so very rapid comparisons were possible on the same music.

I convinced myself that Tidal Hi was better.
    I did a final comparison - yup, no way can Spotify get this level of rez.
    Went back to Spotify just to double check --- and, yes, I was on Spotify already. I just got them mixed up.
    Blind test!! (in effect, as I didn't know what I was listening to). I couldn't actually say one was better than the other.

So I settled with Spot Premium and have been happy ever since (well over a year now).
    I had a trial on Deezer last year, but the classical catalogue is crap and I find the Spot interface better than any other.

I'm gone.

I have no tech knowledge of such things, but those who have seem to think that the .ogg files are significantly better than others.
    Which may help explain why 320kb/s is not so bad after all.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast