+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 26 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: How many folk now use streaming and have sold all their other audio equipment?

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    A little flabbergasted TBH at the level of hostility in your reply, I'm not criticising anyone for what they like, I'm simply just explaining what I like - why does it upset people so much if they like something different, especially if it's digital?
    nowt wrong with digital Tim. its my most used format by miles. i may have gone this way as it was much easier on my hip, but i am pleased i did.. open mind wins every time
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Thanks Jerry. To be honest when I last looked for it on Spotify it was not available. Another cookie for you.
    Actual picture of me eating my prize

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mikmas View Post
    Of course it's disputable, - what price do you put on a golden sunrise or a spring daffodil? .. the 'value' of both is immense yet the cost is nil.

Your mistake is to conflate 'cost' with 'value' in purely economic terms; appreciation of an art form is not irrevocably bound by your crude equation (even though art snobs like to think it is)
    Fatuous comparison. Recorded music is an economic commodity with a price and a market. A sunrise isn't and doesn't. The comparison with TV is far more appropriate.

I've never said that streaming has no benefit, I use it myself to find new music to buy on vinyl and CD - generally if I've listened to something half a dozen times it's time to buy a copy so I can listen at higher quality.

What I do maintain is that infinite choice cheapens the experience and is already having a detrimental effect on listening habits and the perception of value of recorded music in people's lives. (As does ubiquitous muzak, which is simply noise pollution).

Ingvar Kamprad, the founder of Ikea who recently died, had many strange attitudes but one I admired was his resistance to putting the whole Ikea inventory online. He wanted people to have to physically make the journey to the store, to work to make a choice and to work again in many cases to build up the purchase. That striving added to the perceived value at the customer. I think he was onto something.

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post

Jerry, I can see why you don’t use vinyl anymore. Static must be a real bitch with that coat of furr, although dusting you hifi must be quite easy.
    ~Paul~

I'm James.

I'm Martin.

You're a lot more blue than you used to be.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Martin.

Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Justin.

It isn't on TIDAL. No cookie for me

I may try Deezer Grant.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by mikmas View Post
    Of course it's disputable, - what price do you put on a golden sunrise or a spring daffodil? .. the 'value' of both is immense yet the cost is nil.

Your mistake is to conflate 'cost' with 'value' in purely economic terms; appreciation of an art form is not irrevocably bound by your crude equation (even though art snobs like to think it is)
    Exactly! This is yet another example of an assumption or claim not supported by empirical evidence or verifiable. The reality is that, as individuals, the value we place on a commodity is not determined by its price, but by a set of personal preferences. The exception is where purchases are motivated by "conspicuous consumption" and the desire to demonstrate an individual's superior social status and greater purchasing power.

When most of us started our music collections, we were strongly constrained by our limited budgets and so inevitably had a small music collection that we listened to more frequently. Furthermore, many of us started our collections when young and impressionable, and when we had the luxury of repeated listening and forensic scrutiny of the few albums we owned. For many, it was also a time of limited alternative entertainment opportunities (i.e. two or three terrestrial tv channels, and very limited radio options). It is not difficult to understand how we developed a special fondness for a few albums. However, to argue that having access to a much wider choice of music is to diminish the pleasure we derive from music is just nonsense.

Of course, we must factor in additional elements to our current listening choices. We can now choose to listen to specific tracks and albums at a time that is convenient to us, and, at a marginal financial cost that is (effectively) zero. Monetary prices are therefore no longer the constraint on our listening choices: time is. Relatively speaking we have gone from being money poor and leisure time rich; to money rich and leisure time poor. We also have many more opportunities for how we spend our leisure time (e.g. Netflix, computer gaming, and various forms of computer browsing and social media). Clearly, for many young people, music does not rank high on their list of leisure pursuits. It is also true, that for many people on this forum, that music has become less important as a leisure activity than it was for them in the past. It is the broadening of choice as to how we spend our leisure time and changing social preferences that determine the popularity of music as a leisure time activity. It is nonsense to suggest that greater financial accessibility to music diminishes its value. To suggest this is to make the choices required by income/price constraints a "virtue" rather than a financial necessity!

Geoff

+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 26 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast