+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Unbalanced to balanced cable interconnect

I'm Jonathan.

Default Unbalanced to balanced cable interconnect

I'm not at all techno-savvy. If I have a preamp that only has RCA outs, can I use RCA Male Unbalanced to 3-Pin XLR Balanced Male Interconnects with a power amp of a more recent vintage? I can see that such interconnecting cables are available from online sites. Would they spoil the signal in any way? Would I have the benefits of balanced interconnects, even if at the preamp end of the setup the connections are RCA ones? The reason that I'm asking these questions is that the amp I'm considering buying for my existing preamp of 1970s vintage is from the late 1990s. It has both unbalanced and balanced inputs, but the joints of the unbalanced ones have apparently become a little old and unsoldered, whereas the balanced ones work fine. If going from unbalanced outputs on preamp to balanced inputs on amp is o.k., is there any brand of cable (of a reasonable price) that I should be especially considering? Or should I just go back to zero and find a power amp to match the preamp that has unbalanced inputs that function well?!!

Bigman80 Guest

You can. As long as the cable is built properly you shouldn't have any issues.

See here :-

https://benchmarkmedia.com/products/...-adapter-cable

There are alternatives, this is just one I'm aware of.

BKsabath has knowledge on this too.

I'm Jonathan.

Thank you very much for this information Oliver, and for the site. It seems there is a U.K. distributor of these cables.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JonathanW View Post
    Thank you very much for this information Oliver, and for the site. It seems there is a U.K. distributor of these cables.
    No worries. I use the gold pin Neutrik XLR plugs, they are very good. Not keen on the Neutrik RCA and the cable looks to be Mogami?

I'm Paul.

You may find this Rane application note useful: http://www.rane.com/note110.html

You may need to check if the preamp's output impedance is around 10 times lower than the power amp's input impedance. This is just a rule of thumb really. Balanced equipment tends to have an input impedance of around 10K ohms, while in unbalanced equipment 47K input impedance is standard. However, just plugging it all together will tell you if there is any real issue. If it sounds bad, it's bad, if it sounds good, it's good...

You may also have to turn your volume dial up a bit further as well, but this isn't a bad thing either.
    ~Paul~

I'm Martin.

So that I can continue to use my Cardas GC RCA cable I use an RCA to XLR Male adaptor. There are various options.....The Cardas versions are probably the best but the most expensive. Neutric do one which is also good but at about a tenner each.
    I have even seen then on evilbay at as little as £3 !!!!!! but they are unbranded.
    If you want a proper made up quality cable with quality plugs google Viablue

Found link http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/XLR-Male-C...53.m1438.l2649
    Last edited by ovlov854; 21-03-2018 at 11:15.
    Lumley Heliosphere Audiomods 5
    Voyd Valdi AN Arm 1 V2 and Denon MC
    Audiomeca Talisman Highly Modded
    Audiomeca Kreatura &,SW1X DAC1
    Hovland HP200 MC
    Hovland Radia
    Ming Da 805 monos
    Magnum Dynalab Etude, RWA Cassabria + LCD 3
    Wilson Benesch Actors
    Cables by Cardas, Hovland G3 and Yter

I'm Neil.

I would buy a Cardas RCA to XLR adaptor.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CARDAS-RC...YAAOxyRNJSc94F
    Regards Neil

+ Reply to Thread