+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 29 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Pronunciation of manufacturers' names

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyTD View Post
    Took that one too, and it seems I have a 50/50 perfect left and right balance!
    Lol - maybe I should've directed you instead to the daftee test? I suspect the results of that would be conclusive!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    That's strange really. I regard myself as too lazy (or is that laid back?) to be overly analytical...
    That's not what it's about though. You're confusing behavioural patterns/personality with thought processes, and the two aren't necessarily (or always) intrinsically linked.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    What I do believe, however, is that some of us have more of an aptitude, proficiency, call it what you will, for performing certain tasks better than others, which is determined by the judicious use of either creative or analytical thinking

Marco.
    Not sure about the certain tasks bit. I think anybody can master anything, assuming they have the intelligence, interest and need.

Yes, but it's about the route chosen to 'master' the task concerned, and subsequently just how well that task has *actually* been 'mastered'!

Would you apply more analytical or creative thinking to the process, and why? For example, when building an amplifier, what percentage of both forms of thinking would you apply to the task, in order to consider that you've 'mastered' it.....?

I'm sure that any competent amplifier designer would consider that they've successfully 'mastered' the art [that's the key word here] of amplifier design, but in reality, some will have managed it better than others, simply due to how well their respective thought processes [creative vs. analytical thinking] have been applied.

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Geoff.

Would you apply more analytical or creative thinking to the process, and why? For example, when building an amplifier, what percentage of both forms of thinking would you apply to the task, in order to consider that you've 'mastered' it.....?

Marco.
    I'd say analytical thinking would be needed for designing a circuit and creative thinking for laying out the board or wiring, so both apply. Probably equally I think. Not that I've ever done an amp.

I'd say analytical thinking would be needed for designing a circuit and creative thinking for laying out the board or wiring, so both apply. Probably equally I think.
    I agree, but I believe there are also other areas where an artistic/artisanal approach is relevant to good amplifier design, and it often results in design choices being made that significantly influence the final result [what we hear]!

Btw, please also see the additional paragraph I've added to my previous post.

Marco.
    Main System

Just to extrapolate my earlier point...

...I believe there are also other areas where an artistic/artisanal approach is relevant to good amplifier design, and it often results in design choices being made that significantly influence the final result [what we hear]!
    I'd contend that the EEs best able to apply BOTH creative and analytical thinking [which makes Anthony's left/right-brain results here interesting], in areas of their designs where it's most advantageous, will more often than not produce the best amplifiers, i.e. those that when listened to at length with music, over a period of time, in a variety of different contexts, are enjoyed by more people.

That, for me, is the acid test for the efficacy of any piece of hi-fi equipment, not simply how well it measures!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm joe.

Not sure about the certain tasks bit. I think anybody can master anything, assuming they have the intelligence, interest and need.
    I'm completely cack-handed when it comes to DIY stuff; I certainly had the intelligence and the need, but found it incredibly stressful; indeed, the only times I've really lost my temper was when DIY-ing. The family just left me to get on with it as they knew I'd be effing and blinding whilst doing it. Now I just pay someone.

I'm joe.

Well, I just tried it and got some rather unexpected results! 56% Left Brain and 44% Right Brain

Try this one. It's quite a good one, and analyses the input differently: https://www.arealme.com/left-right-brain/en/

I'm convinced that there's a valid correlation between left/right brain thinking, and how we, as audio enthusiasts 'manage' our hobby! Or for that matter, how the electronics engineers/builders amongst us go about their designs, and which reflects on how they perform...

Marco.
    I couldn't do the You Tube one (ie it wouldn't accept my input), but for the one you link to above I got 53% left brain and 47% right brain, which did slightly surprise me, but I guess I have a fairly analytical brain, just not with anything involving hard sums.

The problem with these sort of tests with binary questions is that I often want to reply 'no preference' or 'none of the above', or even 'what a stupid question!'.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    ...but for the one you link to above I got 53% left brain and 47% right brain, which did slightly surprise me, but I guess I have a fairly analytical brain, just not with anything involving hard sums.
    Indeed, and I'm the same. I think my analytical side is being ably demonstrated here in recent posts.

However, when necessary, I'm also able to embrace and (successfully) apply my creative/artistic side, which in reference to audio, often translates as lateral thinking and the ability to use gut instincts to good effect.

It's probably reasonably safe to say that those who can apply both sides of their brain fairly equally are the most well-adjusted thinkers!

The problem with these sort of tests with binary questions is that I often want to reply 'no preference' or 'none of the above', or even 'what a stupid question!'.
    Agreed, but not to the extent that it renders the results as null and void. For me, there's definitely something in it.

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 29 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast