+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Pronunciation of manufacturers' names

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Nope, I speak a little German (and my wife is half-German), and it's defo pronounced as 'Shit'.

Marco.
    http://www.thestainedglasscompany.com

"A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do" -- Milan Kundera.

BE HAPPY EVERYDAY!

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Hang on, Dave... Is Tony's name definitely 'Relph'? In Wiki it looks more like 'Reiph', as if it was 'Relph', then the three first letters would've been capitalised thus: 'RELph', not' REIph'..

If it is 'Relph', then 'Rega' should be pronounced as 'Reh(h)-gah', which is different from 'Ray-gah' or "Ree-gah'.

Marco.
    I knew him as Tony Relph. He left the company around 37 years ago and it is now still owned and managed by Roy. He takes more of a back seat now but still has his hand in.

Back in the day when I spoke with Roy a couple of times/week, he pronounced it "Reega" and this is what everyone I have worked with at Rega say.

Fair enough, although technically, if using 'Relph' as the phonetic guide, it should be pronounced a little differently, more like 'Reh(h)-gah'.

'Ray-gah' is definitely NOT right, though!

Marco.

"A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do" -- Milan Kundera.

BE HAPPY EVERYDAY!

I'm Jerry.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Nope, I speak a little German (and my wife is half-German), and it's defo pronounced as 'Shit'.

Marco.
    yep.

from their website ....

Yes, that is our name. Shih-tah. It's a proud German name, host to a long line of audio engineers who slaved away in crumbling Teutonic fortresses as lightning lashed the dark lands outside, working to perfect the best amplification devices in the world...

Or, well, no. Yep, Schiit is our name, and it's pronounced, well, like "hey man, that's some really good Schiit!" And now that we have your attention...
    Jerry

Qobuz Hifi / Spotify Premium streaming, SMSL M8 DAC + L-PSU, Herron VTSP-2 valve preamp, Trigon TRE 50 monoblocks, MBL 116F.

Cables: Wireworld Starlight USB, Ixos Ixotica i/c, W&M speaker cables, Belden 19364 mains cables

I'm Grant.

I'm away for a shih-tah
    Regards,
    Grant ....

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    OPPO BDP-103D DARBEE - JBE SERIES 3/B&O SP1/EMOTIVA XPS1/12V BATTERY - TWIN PRO MONOBLOCK AMPLIFIERS - XIANG SHENG DAC\PRE\HEADPHONE AMP\WE TUBED - TWIN AVANTREE OASIS CLASS 1 BLUETOOTHS - AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-MSR7 & OPPO PM-3 PLANAR HEADPHONES - WIN10 JRIVER24, SPOTIFY - SMSL M6 MINIDAC - RPI/AUDIOPHONICS/5V BATTERY - FULL RANGE TWIN TELEFUNKEN/Q ACOUSTIC BT3/CANTON SUB - P.INSPIRED MAINS REGENERATED.

I'm tony.

Auch shite!!!....thought i was getting the hang of this pish.

Hope Grant nips it and get back on the forum fast!

Lol... Yes, there are some other 'interesting' little words in German, such as 'Fahrt', which means journey (travelling somewhere).

So, you could ask your German friend, who's just flown over to see you, 'Fahrt gut?' (Did you have a good journey?), to which, if they wished to be jovial and understood English might reply: 'Yes, I left a stinky one on the plane' Or: 'Yes, I feel 2 stone lighter, and may have followed through'

Combining 'Fahrt' and 'Schiitt' could provide further giggles.....

Marco.

BE HAPPY EVERYDAY!

I'm tony.

The Joe Rogan podcast with Joey Diaz and Tom Segura cover jobbie jokes rather succinctly.

I'm Ian.

Marco, just don't get too excited if you go to Denmark and someone offers you a fartplan
    My stuff; Toshiba SR-370/Mission 774 /Ortofon Quintet Black, Cambridge CXC CD transport/Musical Fidelity X DAC/Musical Fidelity X10v3 tube buffer, Musical Fidelity A3, Nakamichi CA-5E pre amp, Acoustic Solutions FM/DAB tuner, Mordaunt Short Signifer, Klotz MC5000/MS audio, NVA LS5

LOL... Thinking on it, Schiitt should've invented some headphones called 'Fahrts', which could've been combined with a Schiitt amp, to take you on a 'journey of sound' such as you've never before experienced....

Marco.

BE HAPPY EVERYDAY!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast