+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Pronunciation of manufacturers' names

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

I presume they're now safely locked up in an appropriate institution?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Martin.

'Leak' as 'Lee-ack'. Heard that a few times. And 'Sony' pronounced as 'Son-ee'
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Deleted.

All the misprononuciaters I encountered lived in Manchester - perhaps they still do (though I do not).

Devialet has been a recent fun one.

Oh, nearly forgot B&W as BMW and I encountered a couple of people who thought the ‘black ash’ was an actual species of tree.
    Account Deleted

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    misprononuciaters
    Ah. That must be one for we mispronouncers.

All the misprononuciaters I encountered lived in Manchester - perhaps they still do (though I do not).

Do you know how that's actually pronounced, then? Have a go at it phonetically

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Sorry, don't get that

Marco.
    "SAY HELLO TO MY LEEEEEEEEDL FRIEND !"

Linn Sondek LP12, Ittok, AT-F7
    Schiit Mani MK1 Phono Pre-Amp
    Nobsound NS-08P Bluetooth pre-amp
    Marantz CD5004 CD Player
    Pure DAB tuner
    2 x Meridian 205 monoblock power amps
    Tannoy T225 "Mayfair" speakers
    www.paulridgeblog.com

I'm Paul.

My step-dad always used to buy Sony.
    He'd been in the merchant navy and worked in Kuwait for 8 years and travelled the world before settling down and had a portable Sony reel-to-reel that he gave to me when I was about 10 with stereo speakers on top that made it into a kind of suitcase device. It was so cool. It had a mic hidden in a compartment and I used it a lot, just for mucking about, really.

He passed away in 2008 and weirdly his last TV - a really heavy 32" Sony flat-screen that I'd been using as a monitor for my desktop - just died on me last week. He'd had it a while so I reckon it must've been at least fifteen, almost twenty years old. Great unit.

Anyway .. rambling aside, he ALWAYS pronounced the company name "Sonn-Ee", with the first part rhyming with "Don" and the second like the "y" in "Happy".

Mind you, he also pronounced concrete "Kon-Krate" .. I never did ask him why, I was usually laughing too much.
    Linn Sondek LP12, Ittok, AT-F7
    Schiit Mani MK1 Phono Pre-Amp
    Nobsound NS-08P Bluetooth pre-amp
    Marantz CD5004 CD Player
    Pure DAB tuner
    2 x Meridian 205 monoblock power amps
    Tannoy T225 "Mayfair" speakers
    www.paulridgeblog.com

Quote Originally Posted by rigger67 View Post
    "SAY HELLO TO MY LEEEEEEEEDL FRIEND !"

Ah yes, I see, lol... I'm not one for remembering lines in films, unless they're truly iconic, such as 'Make my day, punk', in Dirty Harry

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by mightymonoped View Post
    I'm wondering if it's PED-ANTRY or PEDANT-REE?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The stress is on the first syllable. In 'pedantic', it's on the second.

I'm Mike.

All the...... misprononuciaters.... I encountered

Blimey ! That's a new one ! (mispronouncers?) DEVIALET is a good one. Is it French, as it sounds it? If so, it's 'DEV ee o lay', surely.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast