+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Pronunciation of manufacturers' names

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    I was a very good "middle manager" in my day, I needed someone with a creative mindset to set out the Vision, which I then implemented.
    Opposite here really. I 'managed' OK and controlled sixty odd staff at times, but much preferred organising engineering projects on my own. Bit of a control freak I suppose, I always think only I can do the best job and like to be in charge of every aspect from start to finish. Good job I'm retired.

I'm gone.

I was a good delegator.
    I once was given a bottle of whisky at the end of a high profile project by the guy who was leading it for me.
    "What the hell is that for?" I asked him.
    "For keeping out of my way!" he replied.

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Nothing wrong with being British (far from it), but I don't really feel it. I consider myself primarily Italian, born in Scotland, and so those are the two countries (and cultures) that form my identity.
    I love that line about feeling it and know exactly what you mean.
    To me there is no such thing as being British, unless the viewpoint is from someone foreign, in the same way we might say "They're Spanish" when talking about a Catalan, a Basque and a Madridista.

As for me, I'm English first, European second, French third and .. that's it. I don't call myself British ever.
    Linn Sondek LP12, Ittok, AT-F7
    Schiit Mani MK1 Phono Pre-Amp
    Nobsound NS-08P Bluetooth pre-amp
    Marantz CD5004 CD Player
    Pure DAB tuner
    2 x Meridian 205 monoblock power amps
    Tannoy T225 "Mayfair" speakers
    www.paulridgeblog.com

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    I was a good delegator.
    I once was given a bottle of whisky at the end of a high profile project by the guy who was leading it for me.
    "What the hell is that for?" I asked him.
    "For keeping out of my way!" he replied.

Took me a while to learn the art of delegation.
    It's not just about trust, there's more to it than that, but I think the only way you can work it out is through the wisdom of experience.
    After twenty years as a manager I finally cracked it and did sod all for three years in my last full-time role
    Linn Sondek LP12, Ittok, AT-F7
    Schiit Mani MK1 Phono Pre-Amp
    Nobsound NS-08P Bluetooth pre-amp
    Marantz CD5004 CD Player
    Pure DAB tuner
    2 x Meridian 205 monoblock power amps
    Tannoy T225 "Mayfair" speakers
    www.paulridgeblog.com

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by rigger67 View Post
    As for me, I'm English first, European second, French third and .. that's it. I don't call myself British ever.
    I'm still waiting for that English passport, to which I should be entitled!!

I'm Dennis.

To me people are not necessarily at either extreme of left/right domination, and I think that we can all, with patience and awareness, feel ourselves alternating between different modes.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

I agree, Dennis, but basically, just like many other human traits or skills, some of us have (were born with) more of them than others, and some of which are listed in the illustrated graphic

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I'm still waiting for that English passport, to which I should be entitled!!
    Never say never...
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Shovel_Knight View Post
    More like “oach oak ah”, the “ch” in “oach” should pronounced more like “h” in “home”
    I just followed this (and ignored the 'Colm'): http://www.pronouncekiwi.com/Colm%20O%20hEocha
    Barry

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by rigger67 View Post

Far too broad a canvas. I'm a Kentish man ! Only just, mind, as the nursing home where I was born is only yards from the western bank of the Medway. (Eastern side = Man of Kent).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast