+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 29 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Pronunciation of manufacturers' names

I'm joe.

Personally, I'm an easy-going pedant. I can spot mistakes, and will point them out if amusing enough, but they don't bother me, which I guess is why I never wanted to be a teacher.*

Plus, of course, it's easy to get all hoity-toity about poor grammar and spelling, but scientific/technical stuff baffles me, and whilst I do reasonably well with basic arithmetic, algebra is a closed book, geometry leaves me cold, and my graphs at school were a combination of guesswork and looking over someone's shoulder and copying what they'd done.

*Possibly my favourite was a newspaper misprint, published in Private Eye many years ago. It was a report of a cycle race, in which an injured competitor bravely carried on. According to the paper 'Though he did his best, he was clearly in pain, and feeling every bum on the road'.

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Yes, that's very true! So what is it then with engineers: are they otherwise intelligent people who simply failed their English exams?

As teacher would say: 'Must do better'!

Marco.
    This particular engineer is the son of a retired English teacher. Poor grammar wasn't an option!
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Paul.

Got another one :

I bought a pair of Solavox from Comet when I was about 16.
    They were alright for my first pair of brand new speakers - I replaced them with the classic Mission 70s in black - but I always called them "Soll-Ah-Vox" in my head.
    Since then, I've seen speakers from a company called Solarvox - obviously the same firm as the logo font was identical - so I guess I got in wrong ..
    Linn Sondek LP12, Ittok, AT-F7
    Schiit Mani MK1 Phono Pre-Amp
    Nobsound NS-08P Bluetooth pre-amp
    Marantz CD5004 CD Player
    Pure DAB tuner
    2 x Meridian 205 monoblock power amps
    Tannoy T225 "Mayfair" speakers
    www.paulridgeblog.com

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reed View Post
    The term 'fora' can be used for more than one Roman meeting place. This is SUCH a commonplace use of the word, of course ). It is not correct for any other use, Marco. 'Tis written in O.E.D. stone.
    Haha... Whilst I'm aware of the Roman connection [much of this stuff was drummed into me during Latin lessons in secondary school, by rather strict Catholic nuns], I'd always considered that 'fora' was a formally acceptable pluralising of the word 'forum', if as I say, a little stilted...

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    This particular engineer is the son of a retired English teacher. Poor grammar wasn't an option!
    Lol - well you get extra Brownie points for that! I'm curious though, how amongst academically educated and intelligent people, engineers often demonstrate the poorest command of English, and also possess virtually no aptitude for learning a foreign language.

I think it relates to something Joe said earlier:

Quote Originally Posted by Joe
    Plus, of course, it's easy to get all hoity-toity about poor grammar and spelling, but scientific/technical stuff baffles me, and whilst I do reasonably well with basic arithmetic, algebra is a closed book, geometry leaves me cold...
    I'm the same, so I guess it depends on how your brain works.

Curiously though, on forums [no 'fora' here, haha] it's often only those who are good at maths/technical stuff, who are credited with having any intelligence - perhaps because, as was pointed out earlier, forums are largely full of engineers (or geeky 'tech types')!!

This is often most evident on 'objectivist vs. subjectivist' hi-fi debates, where those belonging in the latter camp are never given credit by their objectivist counterparts, for being able to successfully engage the right side of their brains!

The fact is, hi-fi is just as much about art, as it is science.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Here's an interesting little test:

Try it and see how you get on!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Mike.

Wow ! Educated circuit diagrams with grammatically correct components and punctuated potentiometers. Respect !

I'm Adam.

Marco.
    I use my left and right brain 50/50 apparently!
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Geoff.

Marco.
    63% left 37% right for me.

I use my left and right brain 50/50 apparently!
    Cool... I think that shows in your approach to hi-fi

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 29 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast