+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 29 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Pronunciation of manufacturers' names

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Paul,

Quote Originally Posted by paulf-2007 View Post
    Our house is 70 miles from Calais, so back in Blighty in no time at all. Had planned to move lock stock and barrel, but talking French on the telephone is very difficult and various other things make it seem hard going, the wife doesn't drive and has to rely on me to go anywhere yet here she can do her own thing. What made me realise it wasn't going to work for her was when I went shopping in town here and she chats with all the shop staff and couldn't do that in France. She speaks English well enough and her native Thai but is too late in life to be proficient in French. Weather is shite like here in winter and colder.
    All interesting stuff

My French is pretty good, so the language barrier wouldn't be an issue, and the French culture is similar to my own and that of my wife, with us essentially being Europeans living in the UK. Shite weather also wouldn't an issue, as neither of us are sun worshippers, plus we could go for trips down south when the urge for better weather arose!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post

.... with us essentially being Europeans living in the UK.

Marco.

Well, well ! I never had you down as one of them darned forriners, Marco. (I am referring to Glasgie, of course)

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reed View Post
    Well, well ! I never had you down as one of them darned forriners, Marco. (I am referring to Glasgie, of course)
    Well that's certainly how I felt when I ventured east of Harthill ... strange lot those Jam Tarts and Hibees fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reed View Post
    Lol - aye!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    Well that's certainly how I felt when I ventured east of Harthill ... strange lot those Jam Tarts and Hibees fans.
    thats well east of harthill...
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Squirrel seems to be 'Skwirl' all over too. I've adopted that one as well.

In some case they are using the 'correct' sixteenth century pronunciation* and it's us that have changed. In that situation difficult to say who's right.

*EDIT: Not with Hyundai, obviously.
    It's a bit odd getting sniffy about the 'correct' English pronunciation of a word from a language with an entirely different alphabet.

Even with English words, who gets to decide the correct pronunciation? Should 'bath' have a long or short 'a'? Should 'envelope' be pronounced as spelled, or as 'onvelope'? How about 'garage'?

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post

Even with English words, who gets to decide the correct pronunciation? Should 'bath' have a long or short 'a'? Should 'envelope' be pronounced as spelled, or as 'onvelope'? How about 'garage'?
    Simples !. 'Bath' will be pronounced according to local accent and be correct, though my N.O.E.D. only gives the short 'a' pronunciation. 'Envelope' and other French-derived nouns can be pronounced either way and 'garage', according to my new O.E.D., has two pronunciations. I have to say that I thought that the one with the stress on the last syllable was American English, but there's no mention of that. Such is the flexible nature of our marvellous language, cobbled together from so many sources through the ages. Not so simples after all !
    Last edited by Mike Reed; 20-03-2018 at 08:34.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    It's a bit odd getting sniffy about the 'correct' English pronunciation of a word from a language with an entirely different alphabet.

I love the fact that accents and pronunciations are different all over, and I love local dialects too. I'd hate to see them die out. When I moved to Staffordshire 30 years ago you could barely understand what some of the old folk were saying, it was almost all in dialect. But now that generation have all gone the local accent and dialect has faded a bit from use. It's a shame.

Written English is a different matter. Not a big deal on forums but for official and work-related communication I expect it all to be spot on grammar and spelling-wise. There's no excuses these days. Get the computer to do it for you if you have to. Despite that the standard seems to be dropping daily.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

What's the Stoke dialect like? Can't say I've heard it, or you ever speaking it

The Staffordshire one is quite broad-ranging, so will be different where you are, compared with, say, somewhere like Rugeley...

Btw, whether it's for work or on forums, you should always try and write as well as you can, using proper English. As they say, if you don't use it, you lose it!

As far as forums go, it really annoys me when seemingly well-educated people are too lazy to punctuate properly or apply cohesive sentence structures, in turn making their posts rather difficult to read...

Mind you, if they sat their asses down at a proper keyboard, rather than typing on a bloody phone, it might help!!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    What's the Stoke dialect like? Can't say I've heard it, or you ever speaking it

Marco.
    You have words like 'Ast' which means 'Are you...?'

'Conner', for 'can't'
    'Shonna' for shan't
    'Onna' for won't.

'Dust' for 'do'

'Thee' for 'you'

Bus is prouncunced 'buzz'
    Water is pronounced 'waiter' or 'watter'

Have a go at decoding this. It's a cartoon they used to run in the local paper. Took me years:

I don't speak it because I'm not from round here. I could talk scouse you could not understand in a million years mind.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 29 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast