+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 29 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Pronunciation of manufacturers' names

I'm Jerry.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    Listen to Variations on a Theme From Thomas Tallis, and look at the beautiful English countryside, and not be moved.
    Or walk in the Austrian alps while playing Bruckner's 4th symphony on your CD Walkman.
    I've done that.
    Quite astonishing!
    Jerry

Qobuz Hifi / Spotify Premium streaming, SMSL M8 DAC + L-PSU, Herron VTSP-2 valve preamp, Trigon TRE 50 monoblocks, MBL 116F.

Cables: Wireworld Starlight USB, Ixos Ixotica i/c, W&M speaker cables, Belden 19364 mains cables

I'm Grant.

or walk through the Bathgate hills listening to the bay city rollers.. thou shalt be moved
    Regards,
    Grant ....

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    OPPO BDP-103D DARBEE - JBE SERIES 3/B&O SP1/EMOTIVA XPS1/12V BATTERY - TWIN PRO MONOBLOCK AMPLIFIERS - XIANG SHENG DAC\PRE\HEADPHONE AMP\WE TUBED - TWIN AVANTREE OASIS CLASS 1 BLUETOOTHS - AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-MSR7 & OPPO PM-3 PLANAR HEADPHONES - WIN10 JRIVER24, SPOTIFY - SMSL M6 MINIDAC - RPI/AUDIOPHONICS/5V BATTERY - FULL RANGE TWIN TELEFUNKEN/Q ACOUSTIC BT3/CANTON SUB - P.INSPIRED MAINS REGENERATED.

I'm Geoff.

Or a stroll along Southall Broadway to the sound of whatever horrible noise it is that the Indians regard as music and is usually blaring out from some shop or food place.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Or walk in the Austrian alps while playing Bruckner's 4th symphony on your CD Walkman.
    I've done that.
    Quite astonishing!
    Austria... Surely it has to be Mozart!

Marco.
    http://www.thestainedglasscompany.com

"A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do" -- Milan Kundera.

BE HAPPY EVERYDAY!

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I nipped into Tesco yesterday. I was pining for home before I got halfway round.
    That's Tesco for you, so I'm not bloody surprised ! How long before you attempt the other half?

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post

Listen to Variations on a Theme By Thomas Tallis, and look at the beautiful English countryside, and not be moved.
    Oddly, I was listening to this Fantasia in my loo over the weekend courtesy of Classic FM, with birds singing outside and, yes, I was moved.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I nipped into Tesco yesterday. I was pining for home before I got halfway round.
    I once worked at a place where we had a very attractive 20 year old receptionist. She would start at 0800 and every day, by 0830, she was complaining that she wanted to go home. Eventually I pointed out to her that she had another 47 years to retirement so she would be better off just relaxing into it. Didn't go down too well.
    Martin

Current Lash Up:

Technics SL1200P CD Player * NVA P90SA passive pre / Krell KSA50S Power amp * JM Lab Electra 926 loudspeakers *

'The best I advice I ever received was to always remember that no-one else has any idea what they are doing either.'

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Some folk just don't like reality checks!

Marco.
    http://www.thestainedglasscompany.com

"A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do" -- Milan Kundera.

BE HAPPY EVERYDAY!

I'm Russell.

Americans are spoiled. We can drive 5,000 miles in any direction and everyone speaks English. Except the French in Quebec, and Mexican immigrants. Sure there are people from all over the world here in the US, and nearly all of them have to learn some English to get by, except now there are signs in Spanish everywhere, for the Mexican immigrants who are not trying to adjust to their new surroundings. There must be a lot of them, a lot of companies are spending a lot of money to accommodate them. All labels on all products sold in the US have Spanish translations. Which doesnít bother me in the least. In fact, a person who is fluent in both English and Spanish can get a good job almost anywhere. I used to work at a grocery distributor, and none English speaking men unloaded the trucks. Called Lumpers. And a sharp young man spoke both languages and he translated their instructions all day. A gravy job he was paid well to do. I was amazed at how he could talk to me, and talk to them, almost at the same time.

And Iím fairly sure Aiwa is pronounced, (Ah-EE-wah), yes a 3 syllable word. A Japanese man I worked with long ago at a car radio shop pronounced it that way, and it seems Iíve heard it elsewhere too.

And Iíve always pronounced any capitol letters as letters. KEF is k-e-f, NAD is n-a-d. Otherwise, why are they all capitalized? Seems logical to me.

Russell

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post
    ..... and none English speaking men unloaded the trucks.

And I’m fairly sure Aiwa is pronounced, (Ah-EE-wah), yes a 3 syllable word.

And I’ve always pronounced any capitol letters as letters. KEF is k-e-f, NAD is n-a-d. Otherwise, why are they all capitalized? Seems logical to me.

Russell

'none English......' Is that no English ........ or non-English......?

Ai wa is a two syllable word, not three, Justin.

They may be capitalised, but if they were to be used as initials, they would have full stops (your periods) after each initial. I've NEVER heard of KEF and NAD to be called anything other than their phonetic pronunciation suggests. Many companies use capitals, or they could use initial capital plus lower case; this really doesn't reflect on their pronunciation at all.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 29 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast