+ Reply to Thread

Thread: whats up ?

I'm manny.

Default whats up ?

Hi there guys
    They call me manny ( short for Manuel ) and I've been an avid audiophile for 40 years in which as you can guess have had many different audio system . Have a buddy who had a Hi End store . He would lend me the equipment he selled to try out in my system so you can imagine I've heard a lot of different combinations . I've always had a heart for those once in a while discovery of audio equipment that challenged the big boys($$$) for what is a few morsels musically speaking . My first good system comprised of a Audionics of Oregon BT-2 preamp , Dynaco Mark VI mono amps , phillips spreakers , with a Pioneer turntable with a Supex MC cartridge . It sounded great with intense musicality . Everything connected with original Monster Cable speaker wire with run of the mill intrrconnect ( Cable industry were still in its infancy ) My musical taste are ecleptic , just about any music except rap . Sorry rappers , I don't like rap music even thought I consider many rappers to be very talented when it comes to lyrics . Now I have a Audible Ilusion modulus 3A preamp with the John Curl moving coil gold phono stage , Mccormack DNA 125 amp , magnepan 1.6 QR speakers , spica TC-50 with updated crossover , LSA 1 reference speakers . highly modified Project Xpression turntable with speed control and Ortofon Salsa Moving Coil cartridge , Opera audio Turandot CD Player . All is connected with JPS labs cables interconnects and power cables into Richard Gray power plant .

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

I'm Geoff.

Hello Manny. Welcome to AOS.

You have interesting tastes in equipment. I've not seen a pair of TC 50's for years.

You'll find there a lot going on here, so just join in and chat with everybody.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.

I'm manny.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Hello Manny. Welcome to AOS.

You have interesting tastes in equipment. I've not seen a pair of TC 50's for years.

You'll find there a lot going on here, so just join in and chat with everybody.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.
    Thanks . I believe it will be an interesting reading here plus I have some knowhow to offer , again thanks .
    ps There are quite a few spicas being sold on the internet . After many years of not hearing them got a pair on ebay , put clarity caps in crossover . After hearing them again all I can say that they were very ahead of their time , plus even today very few speakers can match their image focusing abilities .

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Welcome to AoS Manny,

I think you might be the first Member from Puerto Rico.

Interesting system you have there.

Enjoy the Forum
    Barry
    Have you listened to this month's choice in the Album Club?

Barry

I'm Svend.

Back on the early '90s I came within a hair's breadth of buying a pair of TC-50s. Great speakers! Incredible "air" and lightness, wonderful imaging. Agreed, they were way ahead of their time. Enjoy! Those are special. Sometimes I wish I had bought them...

I'm manny.

Quote Originally Posted by Svend N View Post
    Back on the early '90s I came within a hair's breadth of buying a pair of TC-50s. Great speakers! Incredible "air" and lightness, wonderful imaging. Agreed, they were way ahead of their time. Enjoy! Those are special. Sometimes I wish I had bought them...
    They are considered classics and the absolute sound named them in 100 best audio equipment in audios history .

I'm Svend.

I recall they were rather bass-lean, which is why we didn't buy them. Did you mate yours with a subwoofer? I listened to a few TC-50/sub combos back then and was unimpressed at the disconnected sound - just made it worse, as I remember. But subs have gotten so much better since then (or so they say), so I wonder if that couldn't be made to work nicely now?

BTW, welcome to AoS! Hope the island managing well with the post-hurricane rebuilding. Wishing you all a speedy recovery.

I'm manny.

Quote Originally Posted by Svend N View Post
    I recall they were rather bass-lean, which is why we didn't buy them. Did you mate yours with a subwoofer? I listened to a few TC-50/sub combos back then and was unimpressed at the disconnected sound - just made it worse, as I remember. But subs have gotten so much better since then (or so they say), so I wonder if that couldn't be made to work nicely now?

BTW, welcome to AoS! Hope the island managing well with the post-hurricane rebuilding. Wishing you all a speedy recovery.
    Bass in the Spicas only went down to about 50 hz with in room help but the bass they did have was extremely well control , sharp with good transients . John Bau , the creator of the spicas design a.subwoofer to be used with the TC-50s but in reality it did not go very low , it was a good woofer but thats it . Kinergetics design a subwoofer to be used especially with the spicas . They were a two speaker affair each one with two 10 inch woofers , passive with their own power amplified that had a circuit that monitored the woofers feedback in order to control it better . They sounded excellent . Another excellent sub was the 12 inch Janis sub . Going back to the spicas up to this day there is a cult surrounding the Spicas with a web page a la Magnepan . What put the spicas way ahead of the pack was their incredible focusing abilities . They were freakish in the way they focus a image . With good quality equipment and recordings you could see the recording venue , the soundwaves bouncing off the boundries of the room especially in live symphonic recordings . I have never forgotten what they did to this day and probably never will .

I'm Svend.

This chat about the TC-50s made me look into what's available here, and lo and behold there's a pair for sale near me, and for reasonable money too. However, the pics show a dented woofer dome -- not good. And apparently replacement drivers are not obtainable. Too bad....otherwise I'd be tempted.

I wonder how the TC-50 would sound with a modern pair of subwoofers? Ones with variable crossovers, high level input, etc... I'll bet that could be very nice.

+ Reply to Thread