+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning vinyl the wood glue way - hooray!

I'm Graham.

Default Cleaning vinyl the wood glue way - hooray!

I have just done a test run using the PVA glue method on two very noisy LPs that have resisted all of my conventional cleaning attempts (Brush, Microfibre cloth, Velvet pad) and which sounded as if I was listening to a bush fire. I am astonished how effective it is. The one LP is now totally noise free, and I mean silent to the point that you can't hear the run-in groove at all. Now I'm looking for an old cheap turntable, preferably idler driven, to use as a cleaning station. I have ordered new inner sleeves so that I can re-sleeve discs as I clean them. It's a slow process.
    GrahamS - It's not what you hear that counts, it's what you think you hear........

Present Kit: NAD 326BEE, NAD C515BEE CD player, JVC QL-7 DD turntable, JVC Tonearm, Shure M97Ve, Audio Technica AT95EX, Pickering V15, JVC Z1E, Wharfedale Diamond 230s, Visual Rio interconnects and My Ears.

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamS View Post
    I have just done a test run using the PVA glue method on two very noisy LPs that have resisted all of my conventional cleaning attempts (Brush, Microfibre cloth, Velvet pad) and which sounded as if I was listening to a bush fire. I am astonished how effective it is. The one LP is now totally noise free, and I mean silent to the point that you can't hear the run-in groove at all. Now I'm looking for an old cheap turntable, preferably idler driven, to use as a cleaning station. I have ordered new inner sleeves so that I can re-sleeve discs as I clean them. It's a slow process.
    Really?! I'm glad it works for you but this sounds my idea of Vinyl hell.
    Have you tried a vacuum based record cleaning machine?
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Graham.

Quote Originally Posted by WESTLOWER View Post
    Really?! I'm glad it works for you but this sounds my idea of Vinyl hell.
    Have you tried a vacuum based record cleaning machine?
    Unfortunately, such things are beyond my budget - way beyond!
    GrahamS - It's not what you hear that counts, it's what you think you hear........

Present Kit: NAD 326BEE, NAD C515BEE CD player, JVC QL-7 DD turntable, JVC Tonearm, Shure M97Ve, Audio Technica AT95EX, Pickering V15, JVC Z1E, Wharfedale Diamond 230s, Visual Rio interconnects and My Ears.

I'm Graham.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    I've never tried it myself but it does sound like a good idea. The crap gets stuck to the glue and peels off along with the glue. The potential problem would be the glue film breaking up and leaving bits behind, but I presume the advocates have worked out how to do it so the film stays intact.
    You have to make sure that you spread an even and quite thick coating of glue on the record. If the coating is patchy or too thin or irregular in thickness, it will break up when you try and peel it off and leave bits behind which are hell to remove without damaging the record. It must come off all in one piece.

I'm Richie.

don't use craft pva. fnck me that was a painful few hours...

I'm jamie.

ive tried it and it works well as already mentioned,titebond 2 is the glue i used.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm keith.

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamS View Post
    Unfortunately, such things are beyond my budget - way beyond!
    How much will you end up spending on the glue though?

Can make a decent vacuum cleaning system for less than £100

I'm Clive.

It can be very effective but is fussy to do and usually needs to be left over night to dry. I have also used commercial products in the past that use a similar approach though the PVA glue is cheaper than for example that sold by Nagaoka. I get enough second hand records to use the PVA but only as a last resort. The trick is to use it in a fairly thick layer otherwise it does not lift off properly.

http://www.nagaoka.eu/index.php?item...aid=67&lang=EN

I'm Phil.

Sounds a bit lump-hammer -> peanut to me, not to mention the risk of leaving traces of the glue in the groove.

I'm guy.

To make removal easier, place a small tab of polyester film on the outside edge of the glue/LP before it sets - gives something to pull on when removing the dried glue (otherwise you could damage the vinyl trying start the "pull").
    LP12, Ittok (black), DV10X5, NVA Phono 2 (twin supply), NVAP50, Art Audio Quintet 15w power amp, NVA LS5 cable, Rega Ela mk1's.
    Sony CDP XB930.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast