+ Reply to Thread

Thread: When is a Rock not a Rock?

I'm Brook.

Default When is a Rock not a Rock?

This is a project I have been working on for some time, working with an engineer who was able to turn my sketches & vision into reality. It started life as a Townshend Rock Elite, but the only parts used from that are the trough, sub platter & platter, & the bearing. Everything else is new to my design, based loosely around the Townshend Reference 7. The top plate is two pieces of acrylic which holds the bearing, with three steel columns connected to another piece of acrylic, with sorbothane cushions top & bottom, & a steel plate bolted underneath for strength & rigidity. The motor & pulley, which is now a DC motor with a separate power supply & regulator, is isolated from the top plate & affixed to the bottom one. The arm is called a ARB, & I sourced it from the same guy a few weeks ago on sale or return & liked it very much, better in every way over the Rega RB300 that was on the TT originally.It is a twin pivot with carbon fibre tube & unique headshell arrangement which allows for adjustment in every possible way. Initial impressions are that it sounds very good indeed, some teething problems with regards to speed & getting the correct amount of anti skate, but nothing that cannot be ironed out by living with it for a while. The TT retains the recognisable Townshend Rock stability & strong bass & the arm retrieves lots of detail, helped by the Sumiko Pearwood Celebration MC cartridge of course.

I'm Grant.

very nice.. top job there Brook.. 11/10
    Regards,
    Grant ....

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    OPPO BDP-103D DARBEE - JBE SERIES 3/B&O SP1/EMOTIVA XPS1/12V BATTERY - TWIN PRO MONOBLOCK AMPLIFIERS - XIANG SHENG DAC\PRE\HEADPHONE AMP\WE TUBED - TWIN AVANTREE OASIS CLASS 1 BLUETOOTHS - AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-MSR7 & OPPO PM-3 PLANAR HEADPHONES - WIN10 JRIVER24, SPOTIFY - SMSL M6 MINIDAC - RPI/AUDIOPHONICS/5V BATTERY - FULL RANGE TWIN TELEFUNKEN/Q ACOUSTIC BT3/CANTON SUB - P.INSPIRED MAINS REGENERATED.

I'm Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    very nice.. top job there Brook.. 11/10
    Agree looks very nice indeed - any chance of bigger pictures??
    Oh and I think 12/10
    Main system:

Digital.
    Raspberry PI plus IQAudio DAC+. Philips DCC 730. NAS drive plus usb drives connected to the router.

Analogue.
    Michell Orbe with arm decoupling kit. AudioNote Arm 1 V2. Goldring Elite MC and Cairn Boost

Amp. Pure Sound A30
    Speakers. Reiver Jenna floor standers

Spare system:
    Audiolab 8000a. 3 Lenco L75 turntables, assorted cartridges and arms. Garrard SP25 mk2.
    Loads of different cables of various value....

I'm Russell.

Excellent work! That is a nice looking rig, and the tonearm does look good. And someone else who has a Sumiko cartridge! Top notch.

Russell

I'm givingyouaprettygoodclue.

This is inspirational stuff.

Pete

I'm Tom.

Really nice, Brook. Fantastic job.
    Main: Speakers 'RFC' Tannoy Canterburys / custom crossovers; Amp - Radford STA100; Pre EAR 912; Vinyl: Thorens TD124 MkII + Ikeda IT345-CR1 / Ikeda IT-407 tonearms; Cartridges Stereo - Miyajima Madake, Ortofon SPU Royal N, Ikeda 9C III, SAEC/Excel C3; Mono - Miyajimas - Zero 0.7, Premium 1.0, Sonovox MC-4 1.0, Edison '78' 4.0 conical, and Shure M44 strapped for mono with several Expert Stylus conicals for different eras of 78s; Phono stage and SUT from EAR 912; Esoteric Sound Re-Equalizer for equalisation of early mono and 78, switchable in from tape loop; Digital: Audio Note CDT2/II transport, heavily modded AN Kit DAC + Mutec MC3+USB.

Study: Speakers - Tannoy DC6; Amp: Pass Aleph 'Mini'; preamp - Firebottle custom; Vinyl: Garrard 401 with AT1503 tonearm and vintage Ortofon SL-15e with matching Ortofon 2-15k SUT; Phono Stage: Firebottle Plus; Digital - Trichord Genesis III CDP + Arcam rBlink; Schiit Multibit DAC.

I'm Brook.

Thanks for your comments guys, it is much appreciated. I admit I was very nervous when cueing up for the first time but I needn't have worried as it was clear it sounded better than the standard Rock Elite, which is no mean feat in itself.

I will take so larger pictures today Andy, no bother.

+ Reply to Thread