+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Ker pow!!!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Remember when TID was THE big thing?
    Yes, but only among those who considered that measurements were the 'be all and end all'... Some folks need to learn how to use the right side of their brains!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Remember when TID was THE big thing?
    Yes and slew rate..

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    Yes and slew rate..
    I like slew rate. That's my favourite measurement. Always reminds me of the 1970s and monster integrated amps from Japan
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

It was Matti Otala who drew our attention to TID and slew rate. He, along with a colleague, designed a 25W amplifier and published it in the Journal of the Audio Engineering Society. I built it, albeit using more 'robust' output devices, and found it to sound superb into my Quad 57s; bettering a Quad 405 I was using at the time. The design achieved commercial realisation as the Electrocompaniet "The Two Channel Amplifier".

Arthur Radford was also interested in amplifier rise time. This is not the same as slew rate, but his valve designs have been measured and found to have an acceptably high slew rate of (I believe) 25V/us. It would be interesting to compare the Electrocompaniet design with, say, a Radford STA25.
    Barry

TheMooN Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Arthur Radford was also interested in amplifier rise time. This is not the same as slew rate, but his valve designs have been measured and found to have an acceptably high slew rate of (I believe) 25V/us. It would be interesting to compare the Electrocompaniet design with, say, a Radford STA25.
    Indeed, even as a 'non-techy' I can see the possible relevance of that.

Could you, or someone else among our 'resident techies', please explain the difference between slew rate and rise time, particularly in terms of their likely respective sonic effects on an amplifier?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMooN View Post
    Amused by the name of his DACs: "Kassandra". In Greek mythology, she was a prophetess cursed to correctly (or accurately) foresee the future although no-one would believe her.

Methinks it an ambiguous name to give an audio component.
    Barry

So, in other words, much like many other measurements are: completely irrelevant to most of us!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Indeed, even as a 'non-techy' I can see the possible relevance of that.

Could you, or someone else among our 'resident techies', please explain the difference between slew rate and rise time, particularly in terms of their likely respective sonic effects on an amplifier?

Marco.
    Bit beyond me but I believe that rise time is the speed the amp reacts to transients and slew rate is similar but at a higher power output. So, how many watts will it be able to reproduce a square wave.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMooN View Post
    Interesting link, Rodger, so thanks for sharing. I'd certainly love to hear the amplifier in question, in a context that I'm familiar with!

From the article:

Quote Originally Posted by Aries-Cerat
    Everybody wants more power.SE amplifiers are unmatched in sonic quality, however,not everyone owns a high performance highly sensitive speaker.
    SE amps aside, I'd suggest that anyone who hasn't heard ANY type of valve amplifier, in said loudspeaker context, quite simply, has never heard what a valve amplifier can truly do.

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast