+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Ker pow!!!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hmm...Still lots of 'convenient avoidance' and deflecting in evidence in your reply, I'm afraid, Dennis.

Here's what I see:

You simply cherry-picking the bits you agree with (that support your 'world view' or what you've learned from books, rather than challenges it) and ignoring the rest, including reams of technical comment, in support of valves over SS, which you seemingly would rather pretend didn't exist.

Feel free, though, to correct me if I'm wrong......

You mention Andrew's post, but what about my response to it?

And you still haven't answered this, which I'm afraid I'm going to push you on, simply because I'd like to know the last time you heard a good valve amp 'in anger':

Quote Originally Posted by Marco
    However, may I ask when was the last time you heard a well-designed valve amplifier in any kind of meaningful context? And if you have recently, please outline the amp in question, along with that context, which should include details of the partnering system. Ta!
    This appears to be an SS amp you're referring to, not a valve one (the wording is a little confusing):

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos
    The Benchmark amp, which I posted about a while ago is absolutely impeccable from the parameter point of view, and I heard a pair in Feb last year on a £30k pair of JBLs, and could not fault it, and it is SS.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Cheers, Barry. That's equally as clear and concise as what Dave said. Interesting. I suspect that slew rate is connected somehow with the point that Anthony was making earlier, in reference to voltage rails in valve amps, which makes them able to 'react' faster to transients in music, than solid-state designs, all else being equal

Marco.
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

Lol - I'm glad that I interpreted it correctly! This learning game can be quite fun, eh?

In my experience, having owned or listened to many good SS amps in the past, valves, at low levels in particular, simply allow music to 'breathe' better, which is why, with the right speakers, you don't have to crank up the volume, in order for recordings to 'come alive'.

Therefore, taking the title of this thread, "Ker pow!!!", can happen whether listening at low or high levels. That's not to say, however, that when you hit the 'sweet spot', on the volume control, with a particular track, played on your system [and I believe that all recordings have this], it isn't exhilarating!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Dennis.

I was going to just move on and let it go, but with your post 114 you have really angered me now.

There were so many assumptions and errors in thinking processes in your posts that I just could not bother to go through it all.

You have been rude by implication in questioning my integrity, for eg your assertion about black and white is at least surly and churlish, and is inappropriate. This phrase is used to allude to someone seeing things in only simplistic terms, and you have no evidence that I am or have been doing such.

What I stated was pure classically established science, that was all, and you then have seemingly extensively attacked my position, accusing me of a lack of understanding when you have repeatedly not responded to my request for a clear coherent statement of the phenomenon which the thread is alluding to.

What I have stated is not, and never was an entire treatise, but a simplistic statement of what I believe, and what is verified by science to be true. It may be that other factors/phenomena are relevant and which are yet to be discovered.

If I say "The sun is shining" I am saying only that; it is not an entire treatise on all aspects of weather, nor does it even allude to any other factors which the weather may contain.

If you are as eloquent as you seem to allude to being, then please clearly state your case and your arguments, and regarding your suggestion that I re-read your threads, I think you should do just that, and reflect on your own behaviour and quality of expression.

Innuendo and implication are often for the weak whose factual grasp and understanding are in question, and such people often use tools in argument which are dishonest.

(See Straight and Crooked thinking by Robert Thoulness, particularly "20 dishonest tricks in argument").

My original tactic, and it was deliberate, was to post only established science and to see what response it would provoke, and I was not disappointed by some of the resulting responses which were, though veiled, more about the subjectivity of personalities than audio concerns.

I am concerned with the pursuit of truth in all I do in life, the 'Hi-Fi' model serving as a metaphor for objectivity, which in Hi-Fi is accurate perception of the external source.

(I gave up valves in '70, and with the improved performance achieving about 0.1% distortion, the problems of inefficiency, microphony, aging, geta loss, drifting bias, high O.P Z, and expensive O.P transformers, have had SS ever since.)

Dear oh dear.... Have you any idea what you sound like?

You and I are clearly VERY different people, Dennis, so I suggest we now definitely leave it there and move on, and perhaps stay out of each other's way from now on, on hi-fi threads.

Marco.
    Main System

Hi Andrew,

Fair enough, still learning then. So where was Anthony coming from? He clearly indicated, by quoting me with a smiley, that he was agreeing with what I had written...

See post #115.

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Mike.

Hate to 'slew' this conversation away from amplification to speakers, but have wondered why ESLs seem (or actually are) faster compared to moving coils. I have read this before and indeed, experienced it myself when I crossed the planar Rubicon.

Is it the logical reason of being powered, so the signal doesn't have to activate cross-overs and, more importantly, speaker units? Have just remembered that there's a planar thread in existence, so maybe this post is wrongly placed. As you've got the experts on hand, though........

I'm gone.

^ the stat film is very low moving mass, so it really does accelerate faster than a plastic or metal cone or dome.

F=ma
    so a=F/m. (acceleration = Force applied divided by the mass it is applied to. The smaller the mass, the higher the acceleration.)

I'm Geoff.

The transient response of a powerful compression driver horn could make an interesting comparison.

TheMooN Guest

As would a plasma drive as sported on various Acapella models,

http://www.noiseaddicts.com/2009/04/plasma-speakers/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasma_speaker

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast